Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:08 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Perhaps I should have stated to Christians it is about the symbolism.

loveislikearose3,

You might want to keep something in mind when posting. Though you and I believe God is superior to man, there are those that do not believe in God at all, so they won't see it that way.

I understood the message of your letter completely. Some will and some won't. Some will twist the meaning from what you and I believe it has to what they believe it is. Just remember they are all well within their right to do so, and all you can do is offer the message. Sometimes the messenger does get shot.

Just be encouraged that there are plenty that believe as you do.

I think you have it all wrong. I think that sending a letter around is not touching in the least. If you want to touch people's hearts, then get out and do something. God isn't going to feed the hungry or provide clothes and shelter to those without. He's left it to us. So a letter does nothing. Action speaks volumes. And that is where I am coming from.

Boasting of your faith is a lot of bullarky, and I know you feel that way too. Practicing what you preach by giving of yourself and helping those who are less fortunate than you is the way to touch hearts and lives. And is far more productive than a silly email or "letter".

And being a Christian I think it's insulting when people send stuff like this around and expect a great response. Get out and show people how to act. Don't lecture them on it.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:23 pm
In the grass-roots poll, Sturgis gets my vote, too.

Many people in this world are not Christian. We didn't "take Christ out of Christmas" and it is not our responsibility to put him back.

Non-Christians may run into difficulty on Judgement Day, but meanwhile we're entitled to our versions (note the plural) of a Winter Celebration. This right has been guaranteed for more than 200 years under the Constitution and Bill of Rights.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:28 pm
Bella Dea,

But who is to say that loveislikearose3 is not doing the things you say she should be doing? Who is to say that I am not or that you are not?

Isn't it fair to say that most people will share something that has "touched them" or made them laugh, etc.?

And those that believe the way I and loveislikearose3 will give a great response. I don't expect everyone to but some will.

So, what's the harm? If you don't agree then you don't agree. She was just sharing something that is very near and dear to her. Sharing things like this appear selfish to those that don't believe and generous to those that do.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:37 pm
I submit that "Sharing things like this" evidences a paucity of critical thought compounded by a lack of originality, and serves primarily to add to cultural clutter, of benifit to none, gratifying only the gullible perpetrator.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:47 pm
timber,

Thats pretty judgmental isn't it? From what I have read of loveislikearose3's answer about posting this, it was done out of love and compassion.

I guess it is all in the perception of the receiver.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 01:56 pm
Doesn't matter whether the subject is religion, the joke-of-the-day, or cute pet photos; junk is junk.

Mind you, that is not to say that religion, the joke-of-the-day, or cute pet photos are themselves junk per se - that would be an entirely subjective assessment - it simply is criticism of the intellectually bankrupt practice of the indiscriminate, unthinking, "Me-too-ism"-driven spreading of junk, well intentioned or otherwise.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:07 pm
Junk to one man is a treasure to another.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:53 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

So, what's the harm? If you don't agree then you don't agree. She was just sharing something that is very near and dear to her. Sharing things like this appear selfish to those that don't believe and generous to those that do.

Believe what?

You and I believe many of the same things in terms of base faith but you seem to think that things like this help. I don't get it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 02:58 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Thats pretty judgmental isn't it? From what I have read of loveislikearose3's answer about posting this, it was done out of love and compassion.

Also Momma, you know as well as I do that many people like the appearance of being a do gooder. A person who appears selfless and caring or does things just because outwardly it makes them look good. I am not saying loveislikearose is like that however, one who has to flaunt generally isn't doing it with the best intentions. And what love and compassion came out of this? The only message I get is one of guilt and one of submission. Like I said before, the message that loveis was trying to send (I would bet) would be much better carried out by actually carrying out God's grace, not pouring it all over the internet. You've seen first hand how people react to being told and I am sure you've also seen the response to those who are shown.

When I see things like this, I am completely turned off. I think it's much like a lecture and a "lesson" than it is a true expression of God's love.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:00 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Junk to one man is a treasure to another.

An argument frequently presented by one served with notice to clean up his junk-strewn property on pain of legal sanction. Specious is as specious does, to paraphrase Forrest Gump.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:16 pm
Bella Dea,

I understand where you are coming from. I saw the posting of this letter as a reminder of what the Lord has done for me and how I need to remember that. I found it a blessing and not something to make me feel guilty.

I would imagine it is going to effect a lot of people in a lot of ways. I just posted something called Offended by Christmas. I'd be very interested in your viewpoint on it.

I just think it is important for all of us to remember that we each have our own feelings about these things. It doesn't mean we are right or wrong. We just feel what we feel. I know, Chai Tea, don't scream! At least I didn't say I believe what I believe! Laughing

Not an argument Timber, just a plain old fact. What is important to me may not be important to you and vice versa.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:23 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

I would imagine it is going to effect a lot of people in a lot of ways. I just posted something called Offended by Christmas. I'd be very interested in your viewpoint on it.

I don't even need to post to know we will disagree on this one. Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 03:25 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Not an argument Timber, just a plain old fact.

No, it is a fact that particular specious argument is commonly presented in just such circumstances, which precisely is what you just have done.

Quote:
What is important to me may not be important to you and vice versa.

Now, that's unarguable.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:47 pm
It means the same danged thing, Timber. Geesh.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:51 pm
Some words are loaded, some aren't.

Dispassion facilitates communication.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 04:53 pm
Eschew obfuscation.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 05:00 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
It means the same danged thing, Timber. Geesh.

No, it does not, nor does alleging it does make it so.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 05:13 pm
I am beginning to think you just like to argue, Timber. Ok, try this on for size, ok?

TO ME what is important (treasure) to one man may not be important (junk) to another.
0 Replies

loveislikearose3

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 05:25 pm
Bella Dea wrote:

I think you have it all wrong. I think that sending a letter around is not touching in the least. If you want to touch people's hearts, then get out and do something. God isn't going to feed the hungry or provide clothes and shelter to those without. He's left it to us. So a letter does nothing. Action speaks volumes. And that is where I am coming from.

Boasting of your faith is a lot of bullarky, and I know you feel that way too. Practicing what you preach by giving of yourself and helping those who are less fortunate than you is the way to touch hearts and lives. And is far more productive than a silly email or "letter".

And being a Christian I think it's insulting when people send stuff like this around and expect a great response. Get out and show people how to act. Don't lecture them on it.

I have it all wrong? All i did is .. i found this nice "letter" that someone wrote.. to encourage people to put Jesus back into Christmas, because we celebrate it BECAUSE of Him, and someone wrote it to express how hurt Jesus is because of us..
and i found it and wanted to share with the rest of you
criticize me, hate me for it if u want, but all i did was just post this to share with all of you..
and how can it be insulting??? you people can share personal experiences, good or bad, you people can talk about sex, life, problems, you can cuss (swear), and do whatever you want, and think youre not insulting anyone, but all i did was copy and paste to share this with you..
i didnt write it.. i just found it.. so dont blame me for typos or anything..
well ok.. God Bless You All, bye!

(and again: I'm not teaching or lecturing anyone! I'm just sharing a piece of writing I found!)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 05:30 pm
HMM! Purple. . .
0 Replies