dyslexia

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 10:26 am
But then, Eisenhower was branded a communist.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:19 am
That godless communist put 'under God" in the pledge.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:25 am
Gave us zip codes, too.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:28 am
nimh wrote:
mesquite wrote:
Lash wrote:
When at war, you do what you have to do on all fronts. Those who whined about deficit spending decades ago were wrong. It will go up and it will go down. During war time, you can expect it to go up. The economy did improve and the debt will be paid down once again.

Once again? Could you please point me to when was the last time so that I can bump it up against the Tax Rate History[/b].

Wow, thats an interesting link!!

It shows that this has been, in any case, the first time ever that taxes have been drastically cut during war time.

It shows that traditionally, when the nation was at war, everyone on the home front was considered to have to chip in to help the war effort, the rich too.

In WW2, the top income rate rose to 94%!

Then again, a historical perspective is refreshing in any case.

It is a perspective that is dropped like a hot potato when it causes the rhetoric to ring hollow.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 11:29 am
timberlandko wrote:
Gave us zip codes, too.

Damn, is that a part of the Commie plot, too ? ! ? ! ?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 12:33 pm
Setanta wrote:
timberlandko wrote:
Gave us zip codes, too.

Damn, is that a part of the Commie plot, too ? ! ? ! ?

You betchya - Number of the Beast and all that ya know. And don't forget the Interstate Highway System - designed to facillitate the governments' movement of assets about within the borders of the nation in the event of an "Emergency". That commie-nazi bastid Eisenhower stole the idea right from Hitler.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 03:46 pm
Yes. 1944. Let's all take a minute to remember what the hell was going on. I'm sure you'd approve of a similar speech by W.
Get out your wallets.

June 12, 1944

Address of the President in Connection with the Opening of the Fifth War Loan Drive

Ladies and Gentlemen:

All our fighting men overseas today have their appointed stations on the far-flung battlefronts of the world. We at home have ours too. We need, we (and) are proud of, our fighting men -- most decidedly. But, during the anxious times ahead, let us not forget that they need us too.

It goes almost without saying that we must continue to forge the weapons of victory -- the hundreds of thousands of items, large and small, essential to the waging of the war. This has been the major task from the very start, and it is still a major task. This is the very worst time for any war worker to think of leaving his machine or to look for a peacetime job.

And it goes almost without saying, too, that we must continue to provide our Government with the funds necessary for waging war not only by the payment of taxes -- which, after all, is an obligation of American citizenship -- but also by the purchase of War Bonds -- an act of free choice which every citizen has to make for himself under the guidance of his own conscience.

Whatever else any of us may be doing, the purchase of War Bonds and stamps is something all of us can do and should do to help win the war.

I am happy to report tonight that it is something which -- something nearly everyone seems to be doing. Although there are now approximately sixty-seven million persons who have or earn some form of income (including the armed forces), eighty-one million persons or their children have already bought war bonds. They have bought more than six hundred million individual bonds. Their purchases have totaled more than thirty-two billion dollars. These are the purchases of individual men, women and children. Anyone who would have said this was possible a few years ago would have been put down as a starry-eyed visionary. But of such visions (however) is the stuff of America (fashioned).

Of course, there are always pessimists with us everywhere, a few here and a few there. I am reminded of the fact that after the fall of France in 1940 I asked the Congress for the money for the production by the United States of fifty thousand airplanes per year. Well, I was called crazy -- it was said that the figure was fantastic; that it could not be done. And yet today we are building airplanes at the rate of one hundred thousand a year.

There were people trrying to take over the world--and take our freedom. Every available soul from children to geezers was working, raisingmoney and giving to the war effort.

I'm suprised it was ONLY 94%.

That kind of dramatic giving isn't necessary now.

There is a basement. There should be a ceiling.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 01:52 am
Re: a letter from Jesus !
loveislikearose3 wrote:
A letter from Jesus

As you well know, we are getting closer to my birthday. Every year there is a celebration in my honor and I think that this year the celcbration will be repeated.

During this time there are many people shopping for gifts, there are many radio announcements, TV commercials, and in every part of the world everyone is talking that my birthday is grtting closer and closer.

It is really nice to know, that at least once a year, some people think of me.

As you know, the celebration of my birthday began many years ago.

At first people seemed to understand and be thankful of all that I did for them, but in these times, no one seems to know the reasonfor the celebration.

Family and friends get together and have a lot of fun, but they don't know the meaning of the celebration. I remember that last year there was a great feast in my honor. The dinner table was full of delicious foods, pastries, fruits, assorted nuts and chocolates. The decorations were exquisite and there were many, many beautifully wrapped gifts.

But, do you want to know something? I wasn't invited.

I was the guest of honor, and they didn't remember to ssend me an invitation.

The party was for me but when that great day came, I was left outside, they closed the door in my face.. and I wanted to be with them and share their table.

In truth, that didn't suprise me because in the last few years all close their door to me. Since I wasn't invited, I decided to enter the party without making any noise. I went inside and stood in a corner. They were all drinking: there were some who were drunk and telling jokes and laughing at everything. They were haveing a grand time.

To top it all, this big fat man all dressed in red wearing a long white beard entered the room yelling HO-HO-HO! He seemed drunk. He sat on the sofa and all the children ran to him, saying: "Santa Claus, Santa Claus" as if the party were in his honor.

At midnight all the people began to hug each other: I extended my arms waiting for someone to hug me and do you know no-one hugged me.

Suddenly they all began to share gifts. They opened them one by one with great expecation. When all had been opened, I looked to see if, maybe, there was one for me. What would you feel if on your birthday everybody shered gifts and you did not get one?

I then understood that I was unwanted at that party and quietly left.

Every year it gets worse. People only remember the gifts, the parties, to eat and drink, and nobody remembers me. I would like this Christmas that you allow me to enter into your life.

I would like that you recognize the fact that two thousand years ago I came to this world to give my life for you, on the cross, to save you. Today, I only want that you believe this with all your heart.

I want to share something with you. As many didn't invite me to their party, I will have my own celebration, a grandiose party that no one has ever imagined, a spectacular party. I'm still making the final arrangements.

Today I am sending out many invitations and there is an invitation for you. I want to know if you wish to attened and I will make a reservation for you and write your name with golden letters in my great guest book. Only those on the guest list will be invited to the party.

Those who don't answear the invite, will be left outside. Be prepared because when all is ready you will be part of my great party.

See you soon. I Love You!
JESUS

Hey! It was a really nice reading, thanks for sharing it here. Interesting! If you don't mind, let me respond to His letter. This is just for fun by the way, I got jet lag, it's the middle of the night and I'm so bored -

Dear Jesus,
As you well know, You Yourself never gift us individually on our birthdays ever but just complain that we don't do so. And for some that do, You probably just hoard the gifts and forget giving back and yet You Yourself emphasized to lose all wealth or give it away. And since when did You invite us to a birthday party ever?
I'm not at all surprised that all close their doors on You!
If the fat man you call Santa by is respected, it's because he gifts us things.
If you came to save us then how come most of us are still here, how come all never got saved?
You don't let others enter Your life then why would they allow you to do that either? Yourself you remain a mystery.
Atleast people remember the gifts and the parties and stuff, You don't remember anything but just YOURSELF!
I'm not surprised you're left all alone.
Sorry!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:36 am
Beena,

You don't consider the fact that Jesus died n the cross for our sins a gift? Jesus does allow us to enter His life. We develope a relationship with Him.

How sad you think that He is selfish. He, who gives us everything we need in life, has never turned anyone away that wants Him in their life.

I am so sorry you saw that letter this way. Maybe it was jet lag.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:39 am
I think it was an attempt to fit in with the dissonant crowd here, Momma, and wouldn't worry yourself too much about it. :wink:

I would be surprised if she actually felt that way. I could be wrong (it's getting to the end of the year and I've yet to fill my "3 wrongs quota") but it sounded more like a half hearted attempt at bad humor.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
Oops! Thanx, Bella Dea. I just woke up. Maybe I need to read that again.

Beena, if I did miss your point, forgive me. I haven't had an ounce of coffee yet.

But, if you do feel that way for real, what I posted stands. Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:45 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Oops! Thanx, Bella Dea. I just woke up. Maybe I need to read that again.

Beena, if I did miss your point, forgive me. I haven't had an ounce of coffee yet.

But, if you do feel that way for real, what I posted stands. Laughing

I might be wrong too. I don't know her at all and am simply speculating. I am just starting my second cup of coffee with no luck on jump starting my brain so.....maybe you are more astute than I this morning. Laughing
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:47 am
LOL. It's amazing what a brain is like without coffee!

They need to make a commercial about that. This is your brain without coffee. And this is your brain with coffee! Good to see you Bella Dea. How was your holiday?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 09:59 am
Very nice, and yours?

I didn't get to spend much time with my husband since this is his busy time but such is the life we have chosen.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:01 am
Momma Angel wrote:
LOL. It's amazing what a brain is like without coffee!

It's 11am here...I should be awake but my body thinks I should still be on vacation and is protesting loudly against any sort of productive action.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:03 am
My holiday was nice and quiet. Had a big family dinner Christmas Eve.

It's 10:00 here. I've only been up an hour and I am having trouble getting the world to kick in this morning. But, I have my coffee now!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:09 am
Just wanna drop by with the wish that the soltice festivities are proceeding joyfully for all, and to wish all a propitious and rewarding coming year.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:10 am
Thank you timber! The same to you.

I am leisurely drinking the most wonderful coffee this morning. A friend of mine sent me some Hazelnut coffee and I am loving it!

Slowly, I am returning to life this morning.
0 Replies

Beena

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:17 am
Momma Angel, I was just being funny you know, I love Him to death and beyond!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 28 Dec, 2005 10:47 am
Beena,

I had thought that, but was afraid I got confused somewhere.

Thanx for clearing that up. Laughing
0 Replies