Disturbing Family Trait

Swimpy

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 08:00 pm
I am relieved. Her regular dr recommended the cardiologist. We were really scared. The cardiologist said that she did have periods when her heart would stop beating for up to two minutes, but he said that is quite common. (Who knew?) He said that if the heart stops for three or more minutes, a person will lose consciousness. Mom's heart was found to have stopped a couple of times while she was asleep. Did I mention that she wore a heart monitor for 24 hours? She also kept a diary of her activities while she wore it.

It's pretty interesting, really. I find it amazing that we are always told what the perfect vitals are...heartbeat 50-100 bpm...blood pressure 120/80...but most people don't have perfect vitals and do very well.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 14 Dec, 2005 12:42 am
Swimpy, ah, good news, big sigh. I do hope you can relax now and enjoy the holidays with your mother and the rest of your family.

Noddy, your post reminded me of why I love you. Your mental imagery is fantastic.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:36 pm
That's good news swimpy. Your mom is at an age, IMO, where invasive surgery is just that. Invasive. And just a half-hearted attempt by those men in masks to make a buck prolonging a life already lived.
My father went on his own terms more or less and I'm happy about that. My mother did not and my heart is perpetually broken over it. She was such a wonderful woman and deserved a better death.
Forgive my sour grapes and again, my best wishes to your mom.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 11:49 am
I'm so glad the news is good, Swimpy.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 06:42 pm
Great news!
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 07:20 pm
I'm so sorry, eoe. I can't imagine the hurt you are feeling. I'm really grateful that the Dr. who saw my mom was sensitive and caring. He asked her many questions about her daily life and asked her if she feels like she is able to do everything she wants to do. She answered, "yes." He said that her heart is in good enough shape to accomodate. A pacemaker would not improve things measurably, so he didn't see any reason to do it.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 09:19 pm
That's good. Don't let anyone put her through or talk her into any unnecessary trauma. If her heart is beating well enough for her to do what she does then everything is right in her world. It's the natural order of things.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:06 am
It's a fine line we walk, though. We need to be mindful that she's old and death is inevitable, but when she needs medical procedures they are only chosen if the net result is to enhance her last years.

A long-time friend lost her mother earlier this year. Her mom developed an agressive cancer. She was 85. The doctors recommended against treatment because the treatments would have caused great suffering and would not have a high probability of success. It was a very hard decision for the family, but they chose hospice instead of treatment.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 08:12 am
Absolutely! My aunt is 96 and has cataracts. She intends to have them removed after the holidays because seeing is a priority. Who know how many years she may have left? She has no intentions to spend her last years on this earth blind.
0 Replies