Disturbing Family Trait

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:33 pm
Swimpy - I'm checking in to lend support. I thought I had already.

I'm glad you're going to the doctor on monday, let us know what you find out. I do know that my dad had to get permission for prostate surgery from his cardiologist - they didn't want to do the surgery if he wasn't a good candidate.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:34 pm
Swimpy, how are you doing as Christmas gets closer? I hope you can let go some of the worry and enjoy the time with your mother without that nagging worry in the back of your mind. That said, I have no idea if I could let go.

Thanks, Deb--I had forgotten that about cold. The first thought that came to mind was my friend's comments.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:40 pm
Thanks, K. How is your dad doing?

Diane, I'm doing fine. I think we'll all feel better as soon as we know what is going to happen. I'll post an update on Monday night.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 06:42 pm
He's great now, thanks for asking.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 9 Dec, 2005 11:44 pm
Swimpy wrote:
She's not just hanging on, Osso. I wouldn't want that for her at all. I want her to have a peaceful passing, not a lingering death. That's what i want to know from the cardiologist. Is a pacemaker or other intervention going to improve her quality of life? If so, I'm all for it. If not, then nature should be allowed to take it's course, as sad as that is.

My father, at 82, declined the surgery that would have 'prolonged his life'. His doctor could not give him a guarantee so Daddy said to hell with it and got busy getting his affairs in order. They had given him two years before his slowing heartbeat would finally cease but he lived another two years and three months, a little longer than he anticipated, and my oldest brother finally moved him to a nursing home.
He waited for two days, until I got there on the Saturday before Father's Day, passing away early that Monday morning. I got the chance to tell him how much I loved him. His last words to me were "I love you too, sweetheart."

Just wanted to share this moment with you, Swimpy. Above all else, respect your mothers' wishes. Whatever she decides, make certain that it is followed through.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 09:33 am
Thanks for sharing your story, eoe. It means a lot to me. Mom's wishes are paramount. She has a living will, so we don't have to guess. The main problem right now is that she doesn't seem to understand what is going on with her heart. The slow heart rate may be contributing to her confusion by depriving her brain of oxygen. She's also hard of hearing, making communication difficult. Although if my sister and I are talking to each other, thinking she can't hear us, she always hears that! LOL!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2005 01:22 pm
Swimpy--

Have you had her ears checked for wax buildup? This could account for the erratic deafness.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:25 pm
Noddy, I don't think wax is her problem. It seems that she hears best if you're talking softly rather than shouting. She seems to have trouble distinguishing sounds when you talk loudly.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:11 pm
I understand that volume can distort sound. Still Mr. Noddy needs to wash his ears with hydrogen peroxide on a regular basis.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 06:50 pm
I appreciate the advice, Noddy. I'll ask her doctor about it.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:05 pm
Swimpy,

I wish the very best for both of you at tomorrow's appointment. Your mother sounds very much like my own grandmother, I almost had to do a double take! Grandma has low blood pressure and a gradual thinning of her jugular vein (or whatever that main vein or artery is that carries blood to the brain....carotid?) She is also a bit hard of hearing, except as you say, someone talks softer and she doesn't miss a thing. Her heartbeat is also slowed but now she takes medication to keep her pressure up and her heart rate has increased. Other than that, there is not a darn thing wrong with her, no pain, no arthritis or anything. She's 93 and we're all hoping she'll see her 100th as well, if it is in the cards that she does.

Best of luck and do, please do, keep us posted!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 10:22 pm
Swimpy, I hope your mother's appointment tomorrow goes well. My mother ended up with a pacemaker and felt so much better afterwards she said she wished she'd done it much sooner.

I'll keep my fingers crossed tomorrow.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:15 am
But then, my mother had a pacemaker installed in March and passed away in July. The pacemaker didn't do diddly for her.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 08:19 am
Thanks for the encouraging words, Lady J. One difference - my Mom has high blood pressure coupled with her slow heart rate.

J_B, It's good to know that your mom had such a great response to the pacemaker. Thanks for the crossed fingers. Mine are rossed, too.

eoe, I'm sorry about your mom. What were her symptoms that prompted the pacemaker?
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 02:53 pm
Perhaps the low-voiced conversations aren't heard with the ears but with maternal sonar?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 04:56 pm
Good news. The cardiologist said that while her heart rate is low, it is not so low that a pacemaker is called for. He said that she probably has had a low heart rate for a long time and that she has adjusted to it. Since she has no other symptoms, there is no reason to do a pacemaker. He said that it may get worse, but it may not. If she starts experiencing dizziness or shortness of breath, then he may reconsider.

What a relief!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:10 pm
Swimpy--

Congratulations on running 100 miles with an elephant on your back and hot frying pans in both hands.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 05:12 pm
Ha1 I love the image! Thanks, Noddy. Dominion is holding.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 06:08 pm
Wonderful.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 10:08 pm
Great news, Swimpy.
0 Replies