2004 Elections?

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2003 11:05 pm
Are you looking forward to the 2004 elections? What do you think will happen?

It should be interesting, especially when you consider the new pop mandate that prohibits anyone from criticizing our beloved commander in chief.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,163 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Anon

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 05:30 am
Hey Violet!

I never thought about that! With the push to make Patriot I permanent, and pass Patriot II asap, I wonder if the candidates will be able to say anything negative about the newly risen George Christ!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 06:58 am
thats George Dubya Christ to you, bub.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 07:52 pm
Hey Fuzzface!! Smile
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2003 08:14 pm
who you calling fuzz face you freakin' pervert Wink
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 06:43 am
Thought it would be interesting to watch the money this election cycle. If anyone finds information on the new rules re: campaign finance, please share. I'll look for it, as well. I think it further limits single donor amounts, which impedes the Dems, since they get most of their money from large donor movie stars. I had thought it would affect both equally, but it appears the GOP gets smaller donations from more people...

Tuesday, July 16, 2002 3:12AM EDT

Edwards' fund raising a strong suit

By JOHN WAGNER, Washington Correspondent

WASHINGTON - With the help of several six-figure check writers, U.S. Sen. John Edwards is continuing to post early fund-raising figures that eclipse many of the more established Democrats positioning themselves for 2004 presidential bids.

Reports released Monday show that two fund-raising committees controlled by Edwards raised a combined $2.6 million in the second quarter of this year and that the North Carolina Democrat now has more than $4.4 million in the bank.

More than half that amount will likely be used to fund Edwards' political operations this year and to aid Democratic candidates on the ballot in the fall with the hope of winning friends for the future. The remaining $2 million is available to launch Edwards' 2004 re-election campaign -- or to roll over into a presidential account next year.

The reports show that Edwards, a former trial lawyer, is continuing to rely heavily on former colleagues as a fund-raising base. But his largest contributor in recent months was Hollywood movie producer Steven Bing, who gave $250,000 in "soft money" to Edwards' political action committee, the New American Optimists.

During the three-month period, the PAC also raked in five separate $100,000 contributions from lawyers and law firms in Texas, South Carolina and Arkansas; and another eight checks of $50,000 or more from members of the legal profession in Texas, California, New York and Illinois.

Edwards and his aides declined to speak publicly Monday about his fund raising. Asked late last week about what to expect, Edwards told reporters that he would let the numbers "speak for themselves."

Because of the variety of accounts maintained by potential presidential candidates, exact comparisons among the hopefuls are difficult at this early stage of the race. But by almost any measure, Edwards' compare favorably with those of former Vice President Al Gore, U.S. Sen. Joseph Lieberman and others being talked about as potential 2004 contenders.

Gore reported raising less than $300,000 for his PAC in the second quarter. But he, like several other Democrats flirting with presidential bids, has a pre-existing national donor network and can likely afford to get into the game later than Edwards.

U.S. Sen. John Kerry, a 2004 hopeful who is considered among the field's most prolific fund-raisers, took in roughly $1.4 million during the period for his 2002 re-election campaign. Kerry also has a PAC that reports its take monthly rather than quarterly, but indications were it would take in about $500,000 for the equivalent period.

Of the $2.6 million raised by Edwards during the second quarter, $536,615 was earmarked for his Senate re-election account, raised in "hard" dollar increments of $1,000 or less.

The remaining $2.1 million was raised by Edwards' PAC. Of that, all but $170,671 came in the form of "soft money," the uncapped, largely unregulated kind of political contributions that will be banned after this year's election as a result of campaign-finance legislation recently passed by Congress.

Once the presidential race starts in earnest, candidates will be limited to raising money in increments of $2,000 or less.

A News & Observer analysis of Edwards' PAC money showed that more than 77 percent of it came from lawyers or law firms.

Notable non-lawyers contributing to Edwards' efforts included:

Eric Schmidt, the chief operating officer of Google, the Internet search engine, who gave $25,000;

Daniel Neidich and Robert Steel, both partners in the Wall Street firm Goldman Sachs, who each gave $25,000; and

Bernard Schwartz, CEO of Loral Space and Communications, who gave $25,000.
The reports also showed Edwards' PAC ramping up its donations to candidates on the 2002 ballot.

Twenty-five candidates running for state House seats in North Carolina received $500 contributions, while 21 Senate candidates got $1,000 apiece.

Other recipients of Edwards' largess included candidates running for Congress, state House and state Senate seats in key presidential states including Iowa and New Hampshire, as well as several of his U.S. Senate colleagues facing tough re-election bids this year.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:11 am
Here's a pretty comprehensive source of information:

http://www.opensecrets.org/

Here are the top contributors to the Democratic Party (2002 election cycle)... I don't see any "large donor movie stars" listed...

http://www.opensecrets.org/parties/contrib.asp?Cmte=DPC
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:25 am
Saban, the biggest donor to the Dems (over $12 mil) is an entertainment executive. Didn't see Barbara Streisand. I remember her fifth round of retirement concerts being donated to Clinton's re-election campaign, and some going to pay of his incredible legal fees. (She keeps promising she's going to retire...)

Of course, both parties get alot of money from what I consider to be questionable sources.

I am trying not to devolve into partisan shots in this thread. I am interested to see where EVERYBODY gets their money.

Thanks for the link, Violet.
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:46 am
Sofia wrote:
I am trying not to devolve into partisan shots in this thread.

That's a relief Wink
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 08:53 am
I know.
Imagine if I was trying to devolve into partisan shots!

Sheesh!
0 Replies

Violet Lake

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2003 09:02 am
It would be like trying to pedal a bulldozer.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:08 pm
Gash:

You're soooo full of **** Twisted Evil
You're eyes are turning brown!! Mr. Green

Anon
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Thu 8 May, 2003 11:40 pm
The turd......calling ME full of ****.
*#@% #*%$@#!

Hullo, dearie! Missed you.

Now, if you dare, name my **** specifically. You know I am always right.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 04:41 am
I feel the love on this board...
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 07:49 am
Sofia Dear:

It was more of a general observation ... missed you too!!! Very Happy

I'VE BEEN REALLY BUSY LATELY Drunk

Actually, it really has been phrenetic this year ... a blessing in this economy!! How ya been?

Anon
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:20 am
Sofia wrote:

You know I am always right.

Yes, Sofia, my dear, you are always right, i. e. to the right of Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage.

John Edwards' money does not come from greasy oil barons like that of our cowboy president and vice president.

When I think of a right-wing person at A2k, my first choice is you, Sofia.

Congratulations.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:32 am
Anon--
Glad you are raking in the dough! Don't work too hard.
As you can see by the crazy williamhenry's remarks, I am fulfilling my obligation of irritating the nuttier libs here. I'm not even all that conservative....?! Shocked

It is obvious I am sending him over the deep end. My work here is progressing nicely.

Who is your candidate so far for 2004? You really must plug into some threads, so I can assail you! Cool
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 9 May, 2003 10:34 am
When I think of a right-wing person at A2k, my first choice is you, Sofia.
----------------
Hardly a notable distinction, since I'm almost the ONLY non-liberal left here.
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 10:02 pm
Sofia:

That's not true, AU1929 is still here and he's more right than left Smile

Take heart, at least you will be in demand !!

Anon
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 28 May, 2003 11:04 pm
Actually, anon, there's more than that. And there's always scrat. But I will take Sofia over most of them.

And I don't know, LGS - sometimes you sound funny.
0 Replies