queen annie

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:49 am
God can not lie.
God will not die.
God does not create waste (in the sense of 'in vain.')
God is astoundingly efficient.
God is perfectly fair and just.
God does not play tricks, favorites, or russian roulette.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:00 am
queen annie wrote:
God can not lie.

He can do anything he wants, who would stop him?

Quote:
God will not die.

Of course not. There are many good folk-tales that are still with us today.

Quote:

Really? So Bundy, Dahmer, and Hitler were all part of some plan of his?

Quote:

Right, it only took him how many years to realize that his experiment down here was far beyond salvaging so he had to move to plan B.

Quote:

No, he's jealous and vengeful. The christian God is above reproach, above judgement, so saying he is 'just' is a misnomer.

Quote:

Horsepucky. The bible outlines exactly who 'his people' are, 'his line', etc etc. And you claim a lack of favoritism?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:49 am
Queen annie, why does God permit evil?

(I think Questioner would like to know.)
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:16 pm
Questioner wrote:
queen annie wrote:
God can not lie.

Himself, most likely. I would think any worthy God would be of the highest integrity. Anything else renders God just a being of some sort.

Quote:

Quote:

Evidently.

Quote:
Quote:

Right, it only took him how many years to realize that his experiment down here was far beyond salvaging so he had to move to plan B.

Who says anything is far beyond salvaging? A human sense of hopelessness or futility is relative to the human condition--due to limited perspective.

Quote:
Quote:

No, he's jealous and vengeful. The christian God is above reproach, above judgement, so saying he is 'just' is a misnomer.

I don't know the 'christian' God. Or any other race/culture-partial ethnocentric God. I only know of one God who made all people of all flavors.
IMHO, I'd rather God take care of the vengeance--mankind is not qualified for judgments like that, being emotionally driven. That's just me.
The descriptions of God in the OT are not God's literal words, but man's perception of God. And considering the general idea of what a god was and did in those days, those words are not unusual.

Quote:
Quote:

Horsepucky. The bible outlines exactly who 'his people' are, 'his line', etc etc. And you claim a lack of favoritism?

It is only for the purpose of bringing the whole world to the knowledge of God. Which describing as 'incomplete' at this point in time is a gigantic understatement.
'Israel' are not a people or a physical lineage--they are messengers and not many who are Israel have ever been recognized as such. The UN declared nation of Israel is not anything to do with what I'm talking about.
That's the actual horsepuckey, to be honest. All those who claim God chose them above others are delusional and probably riddled with insecurities they are totally unaware they possess.
The idea of judging God by the bible, or by the people who claim to 'know' Him is giving humans far more credit than I would think warrants, considering how closely the god most 'believe to be', even if not 'believing in', resembles man, himself. It is far more likely that the bible is misunderstood and abused as a tool for oppression.
Another possibility is that the common view is so far off track that the prophecy in Revelation chapter 13 is actually truly being fulfilled, under our
noses, for the last 1600 years. The image of the beast that all the world bows down to is perhaps not the dreaded Old Scratch but man's religions and man-made gods--a reflection of man's thoughts in the form of the 'christian' god or the 'judeo christian' god, and all forms thereof.

Looking at it that way makes far more sense, from what I have observed.
Too much sense to just write off in the way the atheists do, and too much sense to be ignored by the kingdom of the Abrahamic religions.
0 Replies

queen annie

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:19 pm
neologist wrote:
Queen annie, why does God permit evil?

(I think Questioner would like to know.)

Because he permits 'good'. Good means happiness and evil means misery. The two ends of the spectrum of the human condition.
We are not here to live and then die and nothing more.

The earth is merely our schoolhouse and our bodies are our desks, so to speak. Happiness doesn't build a person's character nearly as well as misery does. Good men don't come out of easy times, but hardship.

Evil is more good for us than good.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:32 pm
We always ask why God allows suffering and tragedy. God's only excuse is His non-existence.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:40 pm
JLNobody wrote:
We always ask why God allows suffering and tragedy. God's only excuse is His non-existence.

I suppose that depends on the type of God you are speaking of, no?

I
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
I speak of all gods. I saw parts of Barbara Walter's interviews with religious celebreties on the nature and location of Heaven. The program showed two things at least (besides the ignorance of Baba Wawa): that the quality and character of Muslim and Christian fundamentalism are the same--I see no significant differences, and literalist religions have the character of fairy tales, serving the fantasy life of the spiritually dull, the intellectually lazy and the profoundly ignorant. For that we should be grateful to BW.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:51 pm
queen annie wrote:

Himself, most likely. I would think any worthy God would be of the highest integrity. Anything else renders God just a being of some sort.

Which brings us to the question, Is God worthy?

Quote:

Who says anything is far beyond salvaging? A human sense of hopelessness or futility is relative to the human condition--due to limited perspective.

I disagree. He perceived that what he had previously set up was failing miserably, even after a reset (see: Noah) and so had to switch gears or risk losing it all.

Quote:

I don't know the 'christian' God. Or any other race/culture-partial ethnocentric God. I only know of one God who made all people of all flavors.

Pull semantics all you want, we're speaking of the same God.

Quote:
IMHO, I'd rather God take care of the vengeance--mankind is not qualified for judgments like that, being emotionally driven. That's just me.
The descriptions of God in the OT are not God's literal words, but man's perception of God. And considering the general idea of what a god was and did in those days, those words are not unusual.

This makes no sense. Revenge by nature is emotionally driven. And your assumption of the OT perception of God not being God's literal words expose a slight gap in your knowledge of the bible. The OT contains some of the only words believed to have been spoken by the actual voice of God. (see: Ten Commandments)

Quote:
It is only for the purpose of bringing the whole world to the knowledge of God. Which describing as 'incomplete' at this point in time is a gigantic understatement.
'Israel' are not a people or a physical lineage--they are messengers and not many who are Israel have ever been recognized as such. The UN declared nation of Israel is not anything to do with what I'm talking about.

I am referring to the Line of Abraham along with his people. You are referring to the modern day Israel.

Quote:
That's the actual horsepuckey, to be honest. All those who claim God chose them above others are delusional and probably riddled with insecurities they are totally unaware they possess.

Or they're direct descendants of Abraham and have a valid claim.

Quote:
The idea of judging God by the bible, or by the people who claim to 'know' Him is giving humans far more credit than I would think warrants, considering how closely the god most 'believe to be', even if not 'believing in', resembles man, himself.

How else should we judge him? He certainly isn't going out of his way to provide us some other means of learning about him.

Quote:
It is far more likely that the bible is misunderstood and abused as a tool for oppression.

We agree on this.

Quote:
Another possibility is that the common view is so far off track that the prophecy in Revelation chapter 13 is actually truly being fulfilled, under our noses, for the last 1600 years. The image of the beast that all the world bows down to is perhaps not the dreaded Old Scratch but man's religions and man-made gods--a reflection of man's thoughts in the form of the 'christian' god or the 'judeo christian' god, and all forms thereof.

Looking at it that way makes far more sense, from what I have observed.
Too much sense to just write off in the way the atheists do, and too much sense to be ignored by the kingdom of the Abrahamic religions.

I would be inclined to agree with you if I believed that Revelation was, in fact, a prophetic book. Which it's not, so I don't.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:54 pm
Questioner wrote:
queen annie wrote:
God can not lie.

I suspect QA does not hold to the definition of "omnipotence" that means God can do just anything.

Quote:
Quote:
God will not die.

Of course not. There are many good folk-tales that are still with us today.

I further suspect QA was using the term "die" in a different sense than you are.

Quote:
Quote:

If QA is speaking of the God of the Bible, then I suspect she would have to say "yes".

Quote:
Quote:

But if people like Bundy, Dahmer and Hitler were part of his plan, then what makes you think our current situation isn't plan A?

Quote:
Quote:

Fair/just are not opposites of jealous/vengeful last time I checked.

Quote:
Quote:

Have to agree ... it sure appears that God has definitely chosen some over others.

I
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 12:57 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I speak of all gods. I saw parts of Barbara Walter's interviews with religious celebreties on the nature and location of Heaven. The program showed two things at least (besides the ignorance of Baba Wawa): that the quality and character of Muslim and Christian fundamentalism are the same--I see no significant differences, and literalist religions have the character of fairy tales, serving the fantasy life of the spiritually dull, the intellectually lazy and the profoundly ignorant. For that we should be grateful to BW.

What is it about the gods of whom you speak that causes a contradiction to arise between their existence, and the existence of suffering?

I
0 Replies

echi

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 02:46 pm
My concept of "God" seems to be quite different from others'. I wonder if it is even useful (at least for the purpose of communicating on this site) for me to assert a belief in God.
To me, God's Law is Natural Law. Although the laws of nature can be recognized and mostly understood, the reason(s) behind these laws will probably never be known. This unknowable and primary "thing" is where my thoughts focus when I think of "God".
I don't know if the term "supernatural" would apply here, or not, but it seems that that is the popular qualification for any god. I'm not sure.
Any thoughts?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:01 pm
echi wrote:
My concept of "God" seems to be quite different from others'. I wonder if it is even useful (at least for the purpose of communicating on this site) for me to assert a belief in God.
To me, God's Law is Natural Law. Although the laws of nature can be recognized and mostly understood, the reason(s) behind these laws will probably never be known. This unknowable and primary "thing" is where my thoughts focus when I think of "God".
I don't know if the term "supernatural" would apply here, or not, but it seems that that is the popular qualification for any god. I'm not sure.
Any thoughts?

There are undoubtedly numerous versions and concepts of what God is. In my opinion, the majority of them are as valid as any other. I would imagine that yes, most are qualified as supernatural, mainly due to the lack of evidence of their existence, thus they would likely be considered outside the natural order of things.

I believe confusion arises when people begin ascribing virtues and traits of the biblical god to other entities, perhaps in an attempt to better define their entities, or perhaps to wedge their vision of god into the role represented in the christian bible.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 03:55 pm
Implicator, I was just trying to be humorous. I don't consider it a meaningful issue at all.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:38 pm
I'm on the road for a day or so and barely have time to read. But I am reading with interest.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 09:48 pm
Neo,

Please be safe in your travels.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2005 10:35 pm
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I'll say it again,
God is a concept,
By which we can measure,
Our pain,
I don't believe in magic,
I don't believe in I-ching,
I don't believe in bible,
I don't believe in tarot,
I don't believe in Hitler,
I don't believe in Jesus,
I don't believe in Kennedy,
I don't believe in Buddha,
I don't believe in mantra,
I don't believe in Gita,
I don't believe in yoga,
I don't believe in kings,
I don't believe in Elvis,
I don't believe in Zimmerman,
I don't believe in Beatles,
I just believe in me,
Yoko and me,
And that's reality.
The dream is over,
What can I say?
The dream is over,
Yesterday,
I was dreamweaver,
But now I'm reborn,
I was the walrus,
But now I'm John,
And so dear friends,
You just have to carry on,
The dream is over.

John Lennon
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 07:55 am
Elegant. But like buttered toast, in a way.

Where's the scrambled eggs and bacon?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:06 am
John Lennon's poetic definition of God seems to come from his personal twentieth century experiences. In contrast Jacob Boehme's definition comes from mystical contemplation of the entire universe. Boehme's words can also be arranged as a poem:

God is the Eternal Abyss
In contrast to creatures, an Eternal Nothing
God has neither foundation, beginning, nor state
He occupies neither space nor place
From eternity in eternity in Himself, He comes to be
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2005 08:21 am
The definition of the Hebrew word Jehovah, or Yawheh, is 'He causes to become', itself a name inspiring contemplation of the universe.
0 Replies