In the past, along my childhood,... any problems here?

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:05 am
My teacher marked a paper for me but because she is going to have a baby she will not come to school this semester anymore and I will not have a chance to ask her what is wrong with these sentences that she underlined in red. Please, help me. The sentences were these: In the past, along my childhood, living in a small town, I used to play in a beautiful garden. As everyone knew everyone there, all the adults of the neighborhood stayed cool. Then came the times of studies and my family moved to a bigger town.
Thank you for your interest and for your help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 662 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 08:51 am
Quote:
In the past, along my childhood, living in a small town, I used to play in a beautiful garden.

Along is not the appropriate word in that sentence. During would be much better.

Quote:
As everyone knew everyone there, all the adults of the neighborhood stayed cool.

Was the weather hot in the neighborhood? "Stayed cool" is a colloquial expression, and should not be used in formal writing. It would have been better to describe the adults' behavior.

Quote:
Then came the times of studies and my family moved to a bigger town.

What does "then came the times of studies" mean? Are you referring to the fact that the children were of school age? I don't knw exactly what you meant, but I could guess.

"When I was ready to enter school, my family moved to a bigger town".

Was that what you meant?
0 Replies

r n b princess

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 10:31 am
the sentences do not make sense if you are reading them. try not to use the same word in the exact same sentence, wait awhile before you use it again
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 11:12 am
Re: In the past, along my childhood,... any problems here?
joserocha wrote:
My teacher marked a paper for me but because she is going to have a baby she will not come to school this semester anymore and I will not have a chance to ask her what is wrong with these sentences that she underlined in red. Please, help me.

The sentences were these: In the past, along my childhood, living in a small town, I used to play in a beautiful garden. As everyone knew everyone there, all the adults of the neighborhood stayed cool. Then came the times of studies and my family moved to a bigger town.
Thank you for your interest and for your help.

Try a rewrite along the lines of: During my childhood I lived in a small town. I used to play in a beautiful garden where everyone knew each other and the adults were accepting of how the young people were. Eventually there came a time of gaining a formal education and my family moved to a bigger town.

Even though the teacher who graded the paper is no longer at the school, I am sure there has been a replacement for her and you might wish to discuss the paper and the areas which are of concern to you with that person. It is better to do this with a live person, as they can respond immediately to any additional questions you may have as it is explained to you where there are errors within your work.
0 Replies