Why do blood blisters get hot?

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:37 am
So, like an idiot I smashed my favorite finger in the printer door about an hour ago and got this big blood blister under my finger nail. I'm fascinated by the transformation and all of the shades of violet, red and blue. But my question is, why does it generate heat? I can feel heat if I touch my finger to my face. What makes that happen?

I hope it doesn't get infected and fall off. I need that finger to drive.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 10
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:59 am
I'd say the heat sensation is related to increased bloodflow to the area, augmented some by crushing damage to surrounding nerves. That's a guess, not an informed medical diagnosis.

You might wanna keep an eye on that printer for a while, though; once they've bitten its best to be wary of them.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 04:23 am
That sounds like it makes sense. I know infections will generate heat, but infections are different than blisters. Oh well, I won't loose any sleep over it. Just curious. What you said sounds like the only reason it could be.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:50 am
Now, take a pin and hold it in a pair of pliers. Stick the head of the pin in the flame of a cigarette lighter or gas stove till it glows. Touch it to the fingernail above the blister. Do it quickly, that is, don't let it linger long enough to heat up anything but the nail. Reheat the pin and repeat the process till you've made a neat little hole in the nail to relive the pressure. Do this as soon as possible. It will probably not save the nail, but you will be a lot more comfortable.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 10:48 am
Great sigline, rog - "Someday we'll look back on all this and plow into a parked car" - so true. Consider; no matter how screwed up things seem at the moment, if you live long enough, you'll refer to this as "The Good Old Days".
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 11:57 am
Roger, that sounds painfull!!!
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:21 pm
roger wrote:
Now, take a pin and hold it in a pair of pliers. Stick the head of the pin in the flame of a cigarette lighter or gas stove till it glows. Touch it to the fingernail above the blister. Do it quickly, that is, don't let it linger long enough to heat up anything but the nail. Reheat the pin and repeat the process till you've made a neat little hole in the nail to relive the pressure. Do this as soon as possible. It will probably not save the nail, but you will be a lot more comfortable.

Yikes!!! I've heard that that is what you were supposed to do. I don't think I need to go that far. I think the dail will be on. I can type with the finger again so it's healing. I was only curious about what causes the heat anyway, not for my health. If the nail falls off it falls off. I'll grow a new one rite?... rite???
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 03:33 pm
I've done this several times. The new nail always grew back for me, usually forming as a thin, pinkish thing under the old nail before it falls off.

It's not at all painful, pessy. First, because the nail is no longer in contact with your finger. Second, the pin head is not in contact long enough to heat up anything other than the surface of the nail. That's why you have to do it several times.

Now, If someone tells you to drill a hole in the nail, this is what they mean. Do NOT chuck up a small drill bit, and start cutting away.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:41 pm
Roger is correct in his advice about relieving the pressure of a blood blister. This is somethng my mother always did for us when we were children. Sticking a pin in it is a scary thought but is quite painless. You will be quite pleasantly surprised at the relief.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:10 pm
roger wrote:
... Now, If someone tells you to drill a hole in the nail, this is what they mean. Do NOT chuck up a small drill bit, and start cutting away.

Huh! And all these years, I been doin' it wrong. Whoodathunk! :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 12:31 am
roger wrote:
Now, If someone tells you to drill a hole in the nail, this is what they mean. Do NOT chuck up a small drill bit, and start cutting away.

That's about like using a drill to relieve a headache. Yikes. I think I saw that in an 80's horror flick. I think I'll leave the home remedies for the brave.
0 Replies