Russian killer squirrels 'eat dog' in park

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:01 am
The Squirrels have all gone crazy!

From the BBC News:

Squirrels have bitten to death a stray dog which was barking at them in a Russian park, local media report. Passers-by were too late to stop the attack by the black squirrels in a village in the far east, which reportedly lasted about a minute.

Click here for the rest of the story

It aint easy being a dawg...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,582 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:07 am
Man, those things look wicked. I never thought I could be scared of a squirrel. Good find rover.

Squirrels of Satan

What if you woke up and there was 50 of these f**kers standing on the foot of your bed?????
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:27 am
Amigo wrote:
Man, those things look wicked. I never thought I could be scared of a squirrel. Good find rover.

Squirrels of Satan

What if you woke up and there was 50 of these f**kers standing on the foot of your bed?????

I'd hand over all my acorn stash.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:31 am
Re: Russian killer squirrels 'eat dog' in park
Kind of makes you look at Squirrels a little differently huh? I thought it was hilarious at first, but I bet the dog didn't think it was funny.

Remember to feed the Squirrels the next time you're at the park.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:43 am
I like squirrels. We don't get them here so when I'm overseas and I see them I'm quite taken with them. However that gathers disdain, I get told they're "tree rats" and what have you.

I like dogs too and I fervently hope this story is a wild rumour.

I shall still offer the odd squirrel something though. But unless there's a mob of them coming at me my acorn stash remains a secret.
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:51 am
I had one that lived in a tree outside my window at my apartment in Oregon for a few hand full of years. I'd watch it while i would work on my computer and I'd catch it looking at me sometimes. Now I know it just wanted to eat me. We only have brown ones here though. I didn't know they came in black.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:05 am
Was that one of the ones with rabies? I heard they have rabies south of one of the parallels. I don't know which parallel which worries the hell out of me. What if I cross the parallel in which all the squirrels are rabid? What do I do? I mean I don't want to be bitten by a rabid squirrel when I'm trying to give it a little bit of food. So if I get the right parallel I will know when to offer food and when to get out my borrowed Glock. I need to know the parallel because I would feel like hell if I blew away a non-rabid squirrel.

I do want to hold on to my stash of acorns if I can.

But if I get monstered by fifty rabid squirrels below that parallel I will be happy to let them have the lot. I would be just happy to get away.

Is it me or do they look at you with really piercing eyes?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:10 am
Squirrels are rats with fluffy tails . . . you don't wanna feed 'em anyway . . . they'll steal from you anyway, so why bother . . . squirrels are an abomination . . .
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:15 am
goodfielder wrote:
Was that one of the ones with rabies?

I couldn't say for sure, I think they can have rabies. They always tell people not to try to catch a wild Squirrel. But good luck trying to get one to come close enough to you to feed it by hand. Most Squirrels I've ever seen take off into the trees at the first site of people. They'll come out if you stick around for a while, but they won't get close to you.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:23 am
I chased a squirrel in a park in Toronto last winter. Little bugger kept hiding from me as it ran up the tree trunk. How do they do that? Hah he would have run over if he knew about the acorns.

Set I don't care. I like them. Their movements with their tails are so graceful.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:29 am
I once saw a pack of red squirrels bring down a full-sized horse. The only thing left of the horse was a horseshoe and one front tooth.

I still have the tooth. I attached it to a necklace of animal teeth that I have.

The horseshoe went to Clyde Bertonksa, a neighboring farmer.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:03 am
I don't think I will ever look at squirells the same again! I've never seen a black squirell before though.... just gray ones.... and that noise they make drives me insane!

That and we have the suicidal squirells where I live, who think it is funny to run in front of your car as soon as they see you and try to run you off the road...

Do you think they could be cousins to the cannibal squirrells?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 12:32 pm
Toronto is full of black squirrels. There is a grey squirrel which has been hangin' out in the back yard, and it gets quite close to me, without apparent concern, as long as the dogs aren't outside. Miss Cleo has gotten very clever, she charges after them without making a sound, and has gotten quite clsoe, because they only hear the sound of her paws on the ground when she's almost on top of them. Mr. Bailey queers the pitch for her, though, since he can't keep his yap shut when he sees a squirrel . . . Miss Cleo got so close to one of the black squirrels today, that it totally freaked, and almost fell off the fence, twice . . .
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:18 pm
This reminds me of the legend of the 'Squirrel King'. I **** you not. I heard this from someone else. This is the story as it's told by "Peg leg smith".

Some cowboys were traveling horse back when one of the cowboys decided to take a pot shot at a squirrel. He hit the squirrel square in the head and they all had a laugh but little did they know that near by the Squirrel King had witnessed the murder.

That night the cowboys made camp in a canyon only to awake the thousands of squirrel lining the horizon at the top of the canyon. They reached for there riffles as the squirrel rode down the canyon by the thousands but that first head shot was a lucky one or unlucky I should say. The squirrels allowed one cowboy to live gnawing only his leg off to warn others not to mess with the squirrels. That cowboy is Peg Leg Smith. He died mumbling the story of the SQUIRREL KING.

Most people think peg leg was crazy. But some people think these squirrel stories can be linked to the squirrl king
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 04:30 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Amigo wrote:

Squirrels of Satan

I'd hand over all my acorn stash.

Laughing
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 06:26 pm
Maybe we could get some of these Russian Squirrels to join the coalition forces in Iraq. Like the country that gave us those bomb finding monkeys.

But then we would have to deal with the squirrel beheadings on the internet.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:02 pm
Hell maybe we could get the squirrels to ride the monkeys into battle against the insurgents and put the footage on FOX news and rekindle support for the war? I'll run it by my contact at the Pentagon.

Headline: NEW HOPE....Killer Russian squirrels ride bomb finding monkeys in deadly battle for Iraq.......News at 11:00
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:48 am
Amigo wrote:
Headline: NEW HOPE....Killer Russian squirrels ride bomb finding monkeys in deadly battle for Iraq.......News at 11:00

I would definitely tape that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 07:58 am
Amigo, no fair, I almost snorted my coffee all over the keyboard. I'ts too early in the morning for me to be reading all these squirrelly remarks.

Here in the southwest US, some animals such as squirrels and chipmunks carry the plague. I leave the little buggers alone, but I too think they are beautiful, especially the red ones.
0 Replies