scary little changes

Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Bite me Neo . . . and i mean that in only the most Christian, charitable way . . .

And how would you know anything about Christian ways or charity for that matter? I mean that in the most charitable way.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:44 pm
Setanta wrote:
And for the benefit of MOAN and anyone else here who thinks Stevepax is their buddy because he vilifies me--here's what he's on about: He became so hysterically enraged about the Iraq war that he stated he would not mourn any troops killed, and would not mourn for their families. He's been having a hissy fit ever since it told him that such a remark was born of hysteria and hate, and conditioned by ignorance.

Who's yer buddy, MOAN?

Hissy fit. Hysteria. Hate. Conditioned by ignorance. Sounds very much like Setanta. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 04:45 pm
Momma- I don't know about the cayenne pepper. Some years ago I had a bird feeder outside of my kitchen window. The squirrels would hog all the food, scaring the birds, and leaving dirt all over the place. Someone had suggested cayenne pepper to discourage them. At first, I would see them wrinkle their noses, and run away. After a few days, they got used to the pepper.

Eventually, I had to remove the feeder. Sad
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 05:11 pm
Mesquite,

I agree about the owners taking responsibility for the cats, most definitely. The cayenne pepper is just something that ca help about your vehicle.

Phoenix,

I wonder if maybe squirrels can tolerate it better than cats? The cats seem to hate the cayenne pepper.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:50 pm
Maybe it's the cats' grooming habits. They could pick it up on their feet and give their paws a quick lick before wiping their faces.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 06:59 pm
That is exactly what happens Roger. They start grooming and they don't seem to care much for the taste at all. The couple of cats I have had here that like to roam stay away from cars. I had one neighbor use the pepper and it stopped the cats. One neighbor put it on her air conditioner because the cat liked to sit on top of it outside her window.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:37 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Mind if I kind of jump in on the question to Momma? Ok, I will.
What do you think this means? I am not sure what you are reading into it, but it is simply saying that the enemies of God are wicked and pass this on to their children who become enemies of the people of God even from their birth.

Why should the bible be wrong on this as written by the Psalmist to the Chief Musician?

Do you just make up stuff when interpreting passages? This passage says NOTHING about passing wickedness on to children, or even getting it from their own parents, whether genetically or by nurture. It even says the wicked will not listen to anyone.

David wrote:
Psalm 58 in context (NIV)
1 Do you rulers indeed speak justly? Do you judge uprightly among men?
2 No, in your heart you devise injustice, and your hands mete out violence on the earth.
3 Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward and speak lies.
4 Their venom is like the venom of a snake, like that of a cobra that has stopped its ears,
5 that will not heed the tune of the charmer, however skillful the enchanter may be.
6 Break the teeth in their mouths, O God; tear out, O LORD, the fangs of the lions!

I suspect that David was venting some spleen, as he often did, but he seems to think that the wicked are born that way. Is he right? Is Bill Clinton a born liar who could not have been otherwise?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:39 pm
Momma Angel, I would appreciate it if you could address this question that I asked you a few pages ago:
Terry wrote:
Momma Angel. Christians were instructed to pray in secret, and Jesus specifically said that coins are things of the government that issued them, not God. The Constitution specifically forbids religious tests or oaths for public officials.

So what makes some Christians think that kids should pray and take religious oaths in school, God's name should be on coins, and selected Mosaic Laws (usually the Protestant version of the 10 C's) should be posted in public places? Do you know of anything in the Bible which suggests that God wants his name posted indiscriminately on coins, courthouses, etc.?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 07:42 pm
Terry,

No I don't know of any place in the Bible that suggests that. I don't believe any of us said there was such a place.

What I have stated is this: These things are things I grew up with. I am, of course, going to be resistant to the changes. I am especially resisting to anyone trying to remove God's name from anything.

I see your and others' point on the separation of church and state. To me, it's more a matter of taking God out of anything.

Sorry I didn't catch this earlier, Terry.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 08:08 pm
We only want God taken out of places he shouldn't have been put into in the first place.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:06 pm
Terry wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Mind if I kind of jump in on the question to Momma? Ok, I will.
What do you think this means? I am not sure what you are reading into it, but it is simply saying that the enemies of God are wicked and pass this on to their children who become enemies of the people of God even from their birth.

Why should the bible be wrong on this as written by the Psalmist to the Chief Musician?

Do you just make up stuff when interpreting passages? This passage says NOTHING about passing wickedness on to children, or even getting it from their own parents, whether genetically or by nurture. It even says the wicked will not listen to anyone.

David wrote:
Psalm 58 in context (NIV)
1 Do you rulers indeed speak justly? Do you judge uprightly among men?
2 No, in your heart you devise injustice, and your hands mete out violence on the earth.
3 Even from birth the wicked go astray; from the womb they are wayward and speak lies.
4 Their venom is like the venom of a snake, like that of a cobra that has stopped its ears,
5 that will not heed the tune of the charmer, however skillful the enchanter may be.
6 Break the teeth in their mouths, O God; tear out, O LORD, the fangs of the lions!

I suspect that David was venting some spleen, as he often did, but he seems to think that the wicked are born that way. Is he right? Is Bill Clinton a born liar who could not have been otherwise?

Unlike you, I do not "make stuff up". Perhaps you just do not have an understanding of the bible. Do you think that Psalms is written in a literal sense?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Wed 7 Dec, 2005 10:08 pm
Terry wrote:
We only want God taken out of places he shouldn't have been put into in the first place.

Who decides where/what these places are?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 12:40 pm
Intrepid wrote:

Unlike you, I do not "make stuff up". Perhaps you just do not have an understanding of the bible. Do you think that Psalms is written in a literal sense?

Who gets to determine what parts of the bible are literal and what is to be taken as metaphor? Scripture, be it Jewish, Christian, Muslim, or any other sacred writings are the contrivance of Man. The Hebrew scriptures have been around for a lot longer than the others, of course, but their interpretation was always left to the rabbis and scholars. In the days of early Christianity the interpretation of the scriptures was totally within the control of The Church, which was also Man.

It was only with the invention of the printing press that the populace was able to read the bible and make their own interpretations.

Jesus was not trying to start a new religion, he was pointing out the problems with the current one. Luther was not trying to start a new religion, he was pointing out the problems with the current one. It's been mano-a-mano from the beginning and one's interpretation of scripture should be a personal and private enterprise.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 12:42 pm
Bill might very well have been born a liar. . .
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 Dec, 2005 12:46 pm
J_B wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Who gets to determine what parts of the bible are literal and what is to be taken as metaphor?

What I have repeatedly asked, and never have gotten an answer past "Psalms aren't literal. Some parts of the bible are literal and some aren't. Good luck.

It's been mano-a-mano from the beginning and one's interpretation of scripture should be a personal and private enterprise.

Yeah, but that would just be way to obvious
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BACK TO THE POINT OF MY? IT IS NOT ABOUT THE SEP. OF C&S, IT IS ABOUT TAKING GOD OUT OF EVEYTHING.

Thank you neologist, maybe my being one of the young is making the elders of the pack hungry!

Wow MzPoe,

you sound alot like me. Very Happy

Good to see you here.

Wanda
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 08:01 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Who decides where/what these places are?

The judiciary, working from the establishment and free exercise clauses, as far as the United States is concerned.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, nor prohibiting the free exercise thereof . . .

As for Canadia, you'd have to make that decision for yourself. I find it ironic, though, that you so frequently whine to people about focusing on the United States, your complaint being that not everything has to do with the U.S., yet you are willing to jump in here and get all sanctimonious on us.

If the United Church of Canada were to be allowed to take control of all public displays to the exclusion of any other creed, would that be OK with you?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:50 pm
Fox News had a special on tonight.
Religion in America - Church and State.

The part that I heard was very much slanted to the christian conservative view.

It plays again at 1 AM Eastern. Coming right up.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 11:54 pm
I wish I could get this! I would really like to see it. But, my satellite is out. Do you know if it will be on again anytime soon?
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Mon 19 Dec, 2005 11:30 am
I don't know when it will be shown again, but Fox generally gets as much mileage as possible from their specials. You would have loved it, MA. Pat Robertson could have been the script writer.

You can see a short video clip here.

Religion in America - Church and State
0 Replies