Bush Unveils "New" Iraq Strategy

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:26 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
At this point? Good question. You're asking me how to solve a problem that our gov't has made worse by giving the terrorists more reason to hate the U.S. and want us out of their region.

How would you handle it, Tico? Are we on the right track?

No, I'm not asking you what your solution would be "at this point." You said terrorists can't be defeated with military force. What is your solution to the terrorism problem if Saddam is still in power?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:30 pm
It would aid understanding if we distinguish between outside terrorists and internal civil conflicts. We have apparently, two different fronts we are fighting.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 08:49 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:
At this point? Good question. You're asking me how to solve a problem that our gov't has made worse by giving the terrorists more reason to hate the U.S. and want us out of their region.

No, I'm not asking you what your solution would be "at this point." You said terrorists can't be defeated with military force. What is your solution to the terrorism problem if Saddam is still in power?

That was me, actually.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:07 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

For starters, under Saddam, there wouldn't be any terrorism in Iraq. We've made all that possible, not Saddam. Secondly, what happened to the idea of chasing down Osama bin Laden, the guy responsible for the terror attacks on the United States. What happened to the solemn promise that Bush made us to hunt him down and bring him to justice?

BTW Tico, would you like to tell me what Bush means by total victory when all we've done is create an Islamic Theocracy. We've already lost according to his own definition of winning. I'm waiting for one of you rightwingers to explain to me how an Iraqi Islamic Theocracy as defined by THEIR constition, and aligned with Iran, is victory.

Also, I love your avatar. We kicked Arnies butt across the state in his special election, it was great! He just appointed a high ranking Democrat as his new Chief of Staff.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:18 pm
Iv'e heard it all now.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:24 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
D'artagnan wrote:

That was me, actually.

You probably said it too, but D'artagnan said ...

Quote:
Terrorists are not a military force that can be defeated as the US beat Saddam's army.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:38 pm
Here ya go Tico, enjoy!
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/11/30/MNGDVG0B511.DTL
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:17 pm

You may not realize this, but I don't live in Kaleforneea.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:19 pm
I just think it's funny you have the avatar with Arnie sucking on that big long brown ... is that a cigar?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:24 pm
I thought it was his career.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:42 pm
I happen to think a grinning bug is perfect these days! As a matter of fact, you can probably count on that grin getting wider and wider!

You never explained about what you rightwingers think winning, as per Bushes speech is suppose to mean. Seeing's as how he's already lost the game according to his own definition. How DO you rightwing types feel about bankrolling the new Iraq Islamic Theocracy? Are you feeling fulfilled now?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:44 pm
Whether or not Saddam were in power was not germane to "the war on terrorism." All the indicators were that our military action in Afghanistan was effective within the limits to which such action can go in curbing terrorism. But there definitely was a term to that effectiveness--although the Allies in Afghanistan did not reach that term because of the resources siphoned off for the dirty little war in Iraq, and the consequent loss of good will and support. But that situation was unique because of the concentration of Al Qaeda in Afghanistan thanks to the safe haven which the Taliban provided.

Otherwise, the most effective means to be used against organizations dedicated to terror are covert operations and the dull, slogging bookkeeper's work that made the FBI into an effective organization domestically--following the money trail, and drying up the resources. That won't do for political propaganda, since it only works if you keep your mouth shut--no carrier landings with big banners in that kind of war.

It is ludicrous that rightwingnuts continue to trumpet Iraq as though it were an effective part of a war on terror--the invasion has created the terrorists we fight there, who would never have been a threat to us absent the invasion. Meanwhile our attention and our resources are diverted from the work necessary to effectively deal with stateless terrorism. It is ludicrous for rightwingnuts to make the silly contention--it is criminal that political leaders do so.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 10:47 pm
Setenta, Extremely well put! Thanks!

Tico, I see you deleted your post! You're hilarious!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 07:44 am
Setanta wrote:
extraneous stuff clipped--the invasion has created the terrorists we fight there, who would never have been a threat to us absent the invasion. Meanwhile our attention and our resources are diverted from the work necessary to effectively deal with stateless terrorism. -- more crap clipped

There is no way of telling. Most of the terrorists in Iraq are coming from outside Iraq. Syria, Iran, Egypt, etc...

Are you suggesting that those terrorists did not exist prior to 3 years ago? That somehow, invading Iraq suddenly enraged so many peace loving Muslims that they felt the urge to go and blow themselves up?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 07:57 am
What the President said and the reality of the war. From todays Indy

Extract

Bush said

This war is going to take many turns. And the enemy must be defeated on every battlefield. Yet the terrorists have made it clear that Iraq i s the central front in their war against humanity. And so we must recognise Iraq as the central front in the war on terror.

comment

"The supporters of al Qaeda now have a haven in Iraq which they did not have before the war. Prior to invasion there was no serious al Qaeda presence in Iraq. CIA director Porter Goss said that "Islamic extremists are exploiting the Iraq conflict to recruit new anti US jihadists". Mr Bush has admitted that al Qaeda accounts for only a tiny part of the insurgency. The aim of the bulk of the insurgency appears to be localised - namely driving out the US".
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 06:03 pm
Two U.S. Allies Leaving Iraq, More May Go

By WILLIAM J. KOLE
Associated Press Writer

VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- Two of America's allies in Iraq are withdrawing forces this month and a half-dozen others are debating possible pullouts or reductions, increasing pressure on Washington as calls mount to bring home U.S. troops.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ_CRUMBLING_COALITION?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=INTERNATIONAL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

And than there were none.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 06:10 pm
Yes, "Setenta, Extremely well put! Thanks!" The 'myth' of Iraq's foreign fighters

Report by US think tank says only '4 to 10' percent of insurgents are foreigners.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0923/dailyUpdate.html
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 06:24 pm
au1929 wrote:
Two U.S. Allies Leaving Iraq, More May Go

By WILLIAM J. KOLE
Associated Press Writer

VIENNA, Austria (AP) -- Two of America's allies in Iraq are withdrawing forces this month and a half-dozen others are debating possible pullouts or reductions, increasing pressure on Washington as calls mount to bring home U.S. troops.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/I/IRAQ_CRUMBLING_COALITION?SITE=1010WINS&SECTION=INTERNATIONAL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

And than there were none.

More rats deserting the sinking ship "Bush". Everyone is getting tired of the BullCaCa!!
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:34 pm
You guys are Saddamists and rejectionists!
0 Replies