URBAN MYTHS

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:18 pm
We've all heard these stories, but don't ACTUALLY know if they're true.
Nevertheless, we like to think that they actually happened, and pass the tale on to all our friends at the earliest opportunity.

I have two or three memorable tales, but my favourite has to be this one, and I would love to think that this is true:-

A rather attractive secretary pops her head round the bosses door, and wishes him a happy birthday. She says that she has a surprise present for him, but he will have to come round and collect it at her nearby apartment during the lunch break.

His mind is racing all morning as the clock ticks round to 1pm, and he duly leaves the office with the secretary, and they go to her abode.

When they get up there, she pours him a drink and tells him to make himself comfortable, while she goes into the bedroom to get his present.

He, not wishing to waste any time, strips off naked and lays back on the couch, sipping his glass of scotch.

A chorus of happy birthday starts up, as the bedroom door opens, and in troops his entire family, carrying a cake...........

WONDERFUL!

Any more out there?......I'd love to have some new stories to tell, at all the forthcoming Christmas get togethers.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 792 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:38 pm
s'a mif gawdelpus

I have another one but its temporarily forgotten. Will recount as soon as senile moment passes
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:43 pm
ah now

this is TRUE

in Winsdor great park, swans have gone missing.

DNA samples prove they were eaten by Albanians.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:46 pm
There's the one about involuntary organ donations. Something along the lines of a stranger buying you a drink in a hotel bar, then you awaken in a tub full of ice. Soon you realize, to your dismay, that you're short one kidney!

This actually made the email rounds, as a warning to be careful, when I worked in a hospital...
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:53 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
There's the one about involuntary organ donations. Something along the lines of a stranger buying you a drink in a hotel bar, then you awaken in a tub full of ice. Soon you realize, to your dismay, that you're short one kidney!

This actually made the email rounds, as a warning to be careful, when I worked in a hospital...

I saw a similar story on tv.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:55 pm
interesting. cant think off hand of other internal organs that come in pairs.

that is ones you would not notice should one go awol. Ovaries yes, but not all of us have those. Lungs...possibly, but I reckon you would spot one gone.

As for hearts spleens gonads and colons, they would all be obviously missed or are singular. In which case you are dead.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 02:59 pm
Eyes?...They could take your eyes, without you seeing that they had gone.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:03 pm
unless you looked (one eyed) in a mirror

Believe me I'm no pathologist or even butcher, but I dont know of internal organs in pairs.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:15 pm
I'm not sure if the following is an urban myth, but not minder
embarrassing than the original story here....

While in line at the bank one afternoon, my toddler decided to release some pent-up energy and ran amok. I was finally able to grab hold of her after receiving looks of disgust and annoyance from other patrons. I told her that if she did not start behaving "right now" she would be punished. To my horror, she looked me in the eye and said in a voice just as threatening, "If you don't let me go right now, I will tell Grandma that I saw you kissing Daddy's pee-pee last night!" The silence was deafening after this enlightening exchange. Even the tellers stopped what they were doing. I mustered up the last of my dignity and walked out of the bank with my daughter in tow. The last thing I heard when the door closed behind me were screams of laughter.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:20 pm
Guy finds out his fiancee is cheating on him. Gets some pictures of her making out with the other guy.

Fiance's family funds the whole wedding, a large elegant bash. Man goes along with wedding plans, never mentioning to her about the cheating.

Best man stands up to do his speech, and directs everyone to look under their chairs. Everyone's got an envelope taped under their chair. Inside is a picture of her and the guy she cheated with. All set up to embarass her.

That was emailed all around, "THIS WAS ON JAY LENO!" and all this crap. I believe I read it's a myth.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:25 pm
OOh! I like it, Slappy.

CJ, were you taking his deposit to the bank?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:28 pm
HAHA! Now you have AIDS, too!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 03:53 pm
I shouldn't have written in the "I" form. It wasn't me, of course!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:09 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
OOh! I like it, Slappy.

That's what SHE said.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:22 pm
The biggie when i was a teenybopper was the hook-on-the-door story . . . the version vary, but basically a couple (who knew a friend of a friend, etc.) were out parked in the backwoods, "makin' out," and they hear on the radio about a psychopath who has escaped from the nearest state hospital (before the states dismantled the systems, the repository of the mentally unwell--the loony bin). Said psychopath is a one-handed dude, with a hook on the other arm. The culmination of the story is that when the couple get back home, and he gets out to open the door for her, he finds a hook hanging on the door handle.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:27 pm
Don't sign your organ-donor card! EMS will let you DIE so that the hospital can harvest your organs and make big $$$$$!
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:48 pm
Relatives of an old girlfriend told this one at a Thanksgiving dinner some years ago: Friends of theirs went on vacation in Maine with their grandma. Day before they were to go back home to Philly, grandma died. They had to get back to work, didn't have time to do death certificates, and it's all kinds of rigamarole to transport a body across state lines, so they dithered, and finally decided to wrap grandma up in a tarpaulin and put her in the canoe in the roof rack and get it all straightened out when they got back home. So they started out. Four or five hours into the trip, they were hungry and bladders bursting and gave in to the inevitable and pulled into a rest stop on the turnpike. ate, peed, came out to the parking lot. And their car had been stolen.

Much appalled, or humorous, comment and speculation from her extended family on what happened then, what the thieves thought when they examined their loot, etc.

Having anthropological background, this was kinda like impromptu fieldwork to me, because one of the early anthropologists, forget who now, maybe Alfred Kroeber, had collected this story first in the 1920's, when they'd've gone on vacation in a Model T. This was before anyone had invented the term "urban legend". His students had backtracked the story from teller to teller, and it was amost invariably presented as having actually happened to a friend or a relative of a friend. But when they got to that persone, whom it supposedly had happened to, they found it had actually happened to a friend of theirs, and when they got to that person, they said, no, not them, but actually to a friend of theirs, and so on back. Same story, circulating for fifty years. And probably still today, someone coming back from vacation in Maine pulls into a rest area with a canoe on their roof....
0 Replies

username

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 04:51 pm
Ann Landers used to be really good for this. Every month or so, she'd inadvertently publish an urban legend that someone had sent her (she did the organ donor one, I think, and warned everybody to be very careful in hotels they'd never stayed at before).
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 05:03 pm
Makes me miss Ann Landers so much to read that, username. Think of the public service she performed so well for so long...
0 Replies