Nations created when the USSR divided

Jim

Reply Sat 10 Nov, 2007 06:24 pm
Please forgive me, but I'm going to be a little picky here.

Many of these nations were not "created" when the Soviet Union collapsed. For example, Lithuania had previously been a nation for centuries. Saying that it was "created" in 1990 would be like saying that France was "created" after being liberated in 1944.
0 Replies

Kirstin

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 08:04 am
anybody...
Hey.. new to this program

Whats this exactly for?
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 08:35 am
Welcome, Kirstin. What is what for? This thread or Able2know in general?

Re the Soviet Union: It was Dec. 25th, 1991 when it officially ceased to exist. A few countries (the Baltic states and Georgia) had already dropped out. Russia made up only about half the population of the Soviet Union, even though many westerners before 1991 thought of "Russia" and "Soviet Union" as interchangeable. Most of the other countries (the Baltic states excluded) had been part of Tsarist Russia before the Soviet Union.

Before 1991, the USSR controlled 3 votes in the UN general assembly, compared to 1 vote for all other countries. (1 vote for USSR, 1 for Ukraine, 1 for Belarus) When forming the UN, the USSR had held out for 15 votes because of each of their constituent republics, but it was negotiated down to 3.
0 Replies

Kirstin

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:03 pm
Able2know in general...
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 10:22 pm
Able2Know is for fun and enlightenment. Ask questions here and get facts, opinions, discussion. Also you'll find fun & games, etc. etc. Poke around and see what you find.
0 Replies

Kirstin

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:19 am
Thanks... :]
0 Replies

SerSo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2008 09:02 am
Equus wrote:

[..]
Most of the other countries (the Baltic states excluded) had been part of Tsarist Russia before the Soviet Union.
[..]

Equus, by the start of WWI the Russian Empire included not only the territories of the three Baltic states but also Poland and Finland.
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:09 pm
@xthealchemistx,
hey there um i was wondering what home schooling prog. u r currently doing because i just started being home schooled this year. and i had the same question you did. EM
0 Replies

emshae

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:37 pm
@xthealchemistx,
ALEA?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Jan, 2010 01:39 pm
@emshae,
emshae wrote:

ALEA?

You are responding to a three year old post, the chances that the user will see it are minimal.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies