A couple of doubts...

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:11 pm
See, I've been writing a series of graduate school admissions essays. I've revised them to death and the whole experience has drained the life out of me for the past few weeks.

I was thinking of posting the latest essay itself, but won't burden anyone with the whole thing; I'm almost done but have a few minor doubts....I'm so close to my essays I can't make anything out anymore, just want to get the damn things finished.

Any input will be tremendously appreciated!

1. Does this sentence need the "over" or not?
"As with any deep-rooted influence, these converging factors have spilled (over) into every area of my life, fueling..."

2. Is "that are" necessary at all?
"My continued link to the United States has enabled me to appreciate a wide variety of American contributions (that are) often disregarded in favor of local stereotypes"

3. Maybe I'm trying to be too fancy, but is it correct to say "single-minded focus"? I'm talking about work methods I witnessed in Germany. (I figured 'tremendous focus' was too blah, and "laser-like' focus was exaggerated and out there).

Thanks very much, I know the questions may seem silly, but I'm just so exhausted I can't figure anything out anymore.

Cheers! (and thanks)
J.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 647 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:28 am
1. Keep the 'over'
2. 'That are' makes it a better sentence
3. 'single-minded' is way better than your other two choices

prosit!

MA
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:28 am
Hi zandunga, Hi Merry,

We'll need a tie-breaker for the first two :wink:

1) Eliminate "over"

2) Eliminate "that are"

I agree with your reasoning re: "tremendous" and "laser-like." Is it possible to simply use "focused?" I'm not sure why, but "single-minded focus" almost seems cliche.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:10 am
Joe, I'd agree with you on those first two if we were talking about an informal narrative. But this is a grad school admission essay and needs to be quite precise, grammatically speaking.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:27 am
1. drop the "over"

2. ...contributions (to what?). Contributions that are often.....

In this sentence first explain what the contributions are. Be a bit more explicit here. Then begin the next sentence with the subject (contributions) and your qualification.

3. I'd use "single minded". Cliche? Perhaps, but it gets the point across.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 10:28 am
Well, we all agree on 'single minded,' anyway. There's a start.
0 Replies

zandunga

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:38 pm
Thanks everyone....the disagreement between you sounds similar to the arguments swinging back and forth in my own head!

I'll use your comments for the final polish tonight, maybe I'll post it when it's done...

Thanks again & cheers...
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 06:16 pm
Do that. Good luck!
0 Replies