Oprah to Hillary, You Go Girl, Run for President

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:39 am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/thenewswire/archive/ap/oprah-hillary.jpg

Oprah To Hillary: "I Hope You Do Us A Privilege And Run For Office. ... President Of The United States"....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,434 • Replies: 59
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 10:41 am
Now that's a photo-op.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:29 am
Don't they both look fantastic!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:33 am
They do. When was this?
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:44 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
They do. When was this?

Monday night at the International Emmy Awards.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:46 am
Kewl

We need a woman president for a change.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:56 am
I agree. How could anyone deny that our experiment with testosterone laden male presidents is a failure. Hillary or Rice, I would welcome either one.

What I don't understand is why women candidates have such a weak following from females.?

Here in Fla in the last elections some great women candidates fared very poorly because of luke warm support from female voters.

Wake up women of America! You make up 52% of the population. It's time you flexed your voting muscle.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:03 pm
My opinion is that women are well programed to believe that men are better than women. I have heard women say that they would not trust another woman. It's hard to change that type of thinking.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:06 pm
NNNOOOOO!!!!

I have no problem with a woman president. But Hillary will be a disaster for the Democratic party, the progressive movement and the country at large.

Voting for a candidate simply because she is a woman is just as sexist is voting against one.

Hillary is another Kerry... a mediocre candidate who will be tarred with the "liberal" label without deserving it.

If you want a woman president. Let's find one with the character to be a good one.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:08 pm
Quote:
Voting for a candidate simply because she is a woman is just as sexist is voting against one.

Exactly. Whatever the sex, I will vote for the candidate whom I believe will do the best job!
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:15 pm
It has to be a strong woman that does what she thinks is right for the country, and is able to handel male political pressure. Thats a hard thing to do in this country.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

I have no problem with a woman president. But Hillary will be a disaster for the Democratic party, the progressive movement and the country at large.

I agree.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:22 pm
You just made my point. This misconception that women in politics are just not as strong as men and therefore need that missing chromosome is an illusion.

There are plenty of examples in the house and senate and even other parts of the world that women can handle executive responsibility. Even the corporate world is proof of that. And lord knows the office of president of this country is much like the office of chief executive in a corporation.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:35 pm
You just made my point.

Hillary would be a horrible president. This has nothing to do with her gender.

Strength, integrity and character are characterististics of a good president. I don't see them as traits of a specific gender... do you?

Hillary seems to have shaped a platform based on what can make her electable, not on priciples. I do not respect her positions or her character any more than I respected Kerry.

Tell me why you support Hillary and perhaps we can have a more productive discussion.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
Bah! To vote for a woman president because she will be the first woman president is obviously not sexist in the same sense as voting against a woman because she is a woman, so let's not pretend a complete lack of difference here.

Was it racist to indicate that the fella hanging from the tree was black?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:08 am
blatham wrote:
Bah! To vote for a woman president because she will be the first woman president is obviously not sexist in the same sense as voting against a woman because she is a woman, so let's not pretend a complete lack of difference here.

Why isn't it the same?

If you are voting (or not) for someone and the over-riding criteria for your decision is the person's sex then it's sexist. Claiming that it's "not the same" is just a way of rationalizing a justification for being sexist.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 08:46 am
Let's look at it this way. It could never happen, but I am positing this scenario for the sake of argument.

There are two candidates in the primary election. (I say primary, rather than the election itself, because I am attempting to compare two equals.) Each candidate is equally qualified, has similar stands on issues, and whose reputation as far as character is concerned is similar.

They both have just the right amount of "charisma" and presence, and speak equally well. Both candidates have views on issues that are consonant with my beliefs. I like both candidates equally well, and think that either of them would do an excellent job.

The only difference is that one candidate is a man, and one is a woman.
In THAT case, I would vote for a woman, because I believe that at this time, the country is ready to have a woman president, and her candidacy would finally show the country that qualified woman can certainly run the country.

I remember the brouhaha when JFK ran for the presidency. He broke through the "glass ceiling" that deprived Catholics the opportunity to run the country. Now is the time for a qualified woman to have the same opportunity.

BTW, if I believed that the man was the better candidate, I would eschew the woman, and vote for the man.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:14 am
In order for me to vote for a woman president, she would have to be pretty remarkable. Hillary certainly does not fit that description.

BTW, they both look horrible. Laughing
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:23 am
I still like Mark Warner.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 09:27 am
This argument is irrelevant.

Perhaps, all other things being equal I would consider choosing a candidate because of her gender. The problem is Hillary is a horrible candidate.

I don't want to get into this who hypothetical argument about whether affirmative action is appropriate in a voting decision given two acceptable choice. This is not the question.

Hillary symbolizes everything that is wrong with the Democratic party. She takes the majority popular position on almost every issue. Her defense of the wall on Israel, her attacks on immigrants without offering any real solution, her dithering on homosexual marriage... she doesn't stand for anything other than getting elected.

I would make the same criticism about her if she were a male (in fact made very similary complaints about John Kerry who also didn't receive my vote.)

We need a candidate, and I don't care if she is male or female, who will stand up for real principles.

Hillary would be a disaster. There are many women I respect enought to vote for. Hillary isn't one of them.

I ask the question again: "besides the fact she is a woman, why would anyone even think about voting for her."?
0 Replies