GERMAN HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT NEEDS HELP WITH ENGLISH HOMEWORK!

Jannie

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:44 am
Hello,

I`m a German high school student and need help with a very difficult homework (at least for me it is)!!

We got a picture story that shows a man laying in his bed and pretending to sleep while a thief comes in. While the thief tries to steal something the man is stealing the wallet out of the thief`s pants.

My teacher wants me to pretend to be this man write a letter to my fictual wife that I haven`t seen for two weeks because I`m working as a travelling salesman.

I have no idea how to do it. I REALLY need some examples. I don`t even know how to start Sad

If anyone needs help with German stuff contact me Wink

Jannie
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 688 • Replies: 5
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 09:49 am
Start at the beginning... keep going until you have reached the end... then stop. ;-)

(Paraphrased from the Cheshire cat.)

Really, your command of English from the above post seems very good. I think once you get started you'll be fine. How do you usually start letters?

Here's a sample for you:

"Dear Jannie,

How have you been? I hope everyone is fine.

I am fine, but the strangest thing happened the other night. I was exhausted after a long day and lay down on the bed at the hotel. Then...."
0 Replies

Jannie

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 11:45 am
thanks sooo much for your answer. i`m really having some problems in english lately and with that homework my teacher is giving me one last chance to get a an acceptable grade.

I wrote this text and I`d be VERY pleased if you`d have the time to correct it:

Dear Dorothy,
how have you been? What are the kids doing? I hope everyone is fine.
I am fine, but the strangest thing happened last night.
I was exhausted after a long day and lay down on the bed at the hotel.
Suddenly I heard some weird noises. You won`t believe what I saw when I opened my eyes.
There was a thief climbing through the window that I left open to get some fresh air.
I didn`t know what to do and I was really scared so I pretended to be asleep.
But when he started digging into my stuff I got really mad even if the only thing I had
in that room was an old sandwich.
Anyway, I opended my eyes and was just about to yell at him when I saw a big wallet
looking out of his pants.
I still was very mad at the man so I just took his wallet without thinking about it. You can imagine how relieved I was when the thief left my
hotel room.
There were about 900 Euros in the wallet so I won`t have to work as long as I told you.
I will call you immediately when I know the day I`m coming home.
I wish you and the children all the best. I miss you and hope to see all of you soon.
Kisses, Timothy
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:08 am
Well done Jannie i wold find all of that acceptable.

one small thing if i may....."when i saw a big wallett looking out of his pants pocket"........wallets dont usually "look" out of pants

his wallet could have been doing many things......... poking out, falling out or protruding out of his pants pocket. I like the word protruding for this sentance. it means the part of the wallet is visible outside the pants pocket.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:09 am
Or "peeking", which may have been what Jannie was going for.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, Jannie, I agree that you did well.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 28 Nov, 2005 08:23 am
perhaps you can do me a favour Jannie

what does this word mean?......spülung........................ or maybe it is written ................plfeng-spûlung
i am not very sure about the accent marks over the U
0 Replies