What percentage of Greek placenames are of Greek origin?

Badboy

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:47 am
I am unsure if this is right forum to post in!

I understand that certain placenames.eg Athens,Corinthos and Mycenae etc are not of Greek origins.

THey are of Pelasgian origin.

-nthos,sos possibly nae/nai are not of Greek origin.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 787 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ellinas

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 12:32 pm
Re: What percentage of Greek placenames are of Greek origin?
Badboy wrote:
I am unsure if this is right forum to post in!

I understand that certain placenames.eg Athens,Corinthos and Mycenae etc are not of Greek origins.

THey are of Pelasgian origin.

-nthos,sos possibly nae/nai are not of Greek origin.

Pelasgians were the first Hellenes (Greeks), so I would not divide Pelasgians with Greeks Smile . So all the city names you mentioned are Greek. If for you Greek means something else please tell me so I can see if I can help you.

They are not Greek words/place names like "nthos" and "sos".
0 Replies

Badboy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 05:23 am
What is relationship between Pelasgian and Greek BECAUSE iLLYRIAN IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN PELASGIAN language,the -sos endings appeared to be Anatolian.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 08:05 am
Badboy wrote:
What is relationship between Pelasgian and Greek BECAUSE iLLYRIAN IS SUPPOSED TO BE AN PELASGIAN language,the -sos endings appeared to be Anatolian.

They are place name endings in -sos and -nthos, I meant that they are not place names like that.

The Pelasgians were the first inhabitans of the South Balkans and Asia Minor. With mixture with other people they made the latest Greek/Hellenic race. It is known that Pelasgians were a proto-Hellenic race who developed the proto-Hellenic languages even if some modern scientists doubt this. I would not seperate them from other Hellenes. Arkadians like me for example are people of Pelasgian origin. As for the Illyrian language, it is not Pelasgian. You can have a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illyrian_languages
0 Replies