Thomas Friedman: The President who invited America's decline

goodfielder

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 02:06 am
Quote:
Sovereign in the sense of being the possession and plaything of a band of thugs who would torture and/or kill any citizen who expressed an opinion

What's changed? "Meet the new boss...." Cool

Iraq Redux - only the names have been changed, oh and a secular state changed into a proto-theocracy cuddling up to Iran. Ah, the law of unintended consequences.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 02:49 am
goodfielder wrote:
Quote:
Sovereign in the sense of being the possession and plaything of a band of thugs who would torture and/or kill any citizen who expressed an opinion

What's changed? "Meet the new boss...." Cool

Iraq Redux - only the names have been changed, oh and a secular state changed into a proto-theocracy cuddling up to Iran. Ah, the law of unintended consequences.

Elections? Freedom of the press? Too subtle for your course sensibilities to detect?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 04:27 am
I recognise a theocratic dictatorship when I see one developing Brandon. As long as we can get at the oil it doesn't matter if Old Nick himself is in charge of Iraq.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 04:22 pm
Isn't it amazaing, Brandon, how these Australians can recognize a
"theocratic dictatorship" from such a long distance.

I don't know if you are aware of this Brandon, but some of the posters who appear to HATE the US intensely are Canadians. They fulminate against everything the Administration is doing but they will never comment about the garbage in their countries-

Chicago Sun Times- Friday Nov. 2005

"Opposition likely to oust Canadian Government"

Do you know what is happening in Canada< Brandon?

A corruption scandal stemming from Paul Martin's LIBERAL PARTY.

These outsiders should mend their own fences first, Brandon.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 04:24 pm
I am sure that you have noted, Brandon, when I posted the facts about the GDP and the Oil for Food Scandal, the opposition suddenly disappeared. When you give facts, Brandon, they usually cannot counter them.

Cheers- Brandon.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
you two can't be serious.

the issue with the debt now, unlike 1945 or 1974, is that shortly the US government will be unable to borrow from the social security fund and will have to float even more loans. such loans held in the hands of our economic competitors reduces the leaverage the US has in plotting its own destiny, something that I would have thought was quite dear to your hearts.

you would rather have the US goverment borrow money from china to pay its way than tax americans to do so. and you call yourselves patriots.

But if you want to discuss GDP and what its numbers indicate, how about citing the GDP when clinton came into office and when he left, then do it fort the day Bush was sworn in and now.

compare the two by percentage change and tell me which indicated a more robust economy, and and which one could balance its budgets.

it appears lost on you that no republican president has balanced the budget in forty years. we have had a republican president and congress for several years, and no balanced budgets since 2000, clinton's. yet the ether is filled with cries that republicans are the party of fiscal responsibility and attacks on "tax and spend" democrats abound.

as to the food for oil scandal, you seemed to forget that american businesses were also involved in the scam, nor have you or Chairman Volker shown evidence that the national policies of france and russia were influenced by russian and french companies involved in the transfers.

but, if you want, show me the documentation where the oil for food scam set public policies in russia and france over their lack of participation in invading iraq.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 05:30 am
Quote:
Isn't it amazaing, Brandon, how these Australians can recognize a
"theocratic dictatorship" from such a long distance.

Meanwhile back in Iraq

Quote:
Shiite Urges U.S. to Give Iraqis Leeway In Rebel Fight
Americans Have Blocked Tougher Tactics, Cleric Says

By Ellen Knickmeyer
Washington Post Foreign Service
Sunday, November 27, 2005; A01

BAGHDAD -- The leader of Iraq's most powerful political party has called on the United States to let Iraqi fighters take a more aggressive role against insurgents, saying his country will only be able to defeat the insurgency when the United States lets Iraqis get tough.

More here
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 07:16 am
Those two are like a weird comic opera necon Bib and Bub.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 09:12 am
It is always reassuring to have someone agree with you. Hence the loveliest between Brandon and Mortkat.
0 Replies