Thomas Friedman: The President who invited America's decline

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 12:50 pm
Opinion: Bush: "The President Who Invited America's Decline," Thomas L. Friedman (excerpts)

When I watch Mr. Bush these days...he looks to me like a man who wishes that we had a 28th amendment to the Constitution - called "Can I Go Now?" He looks like someone who would prefer to pack up and go back to his Texas ranch. It's not just that he doesn't seem to be having any fun. It's that he seems to be totally out of ideas relevant to the nation's future....Mr. Bush has two choices. One is to continue governing as though he's still running against John McCain in South Carolina. That means pushing a hard-right strategy based on dividing the country to get the 50.1 percent he needs to push through more tax cuts, while ignoring our real problems: the deficit, health care, energy, climate change and Iraq. More slash-and-burn politics like that will be a disaster.

It was appalling to watch Mr. Bush and Dick Cheney using their bully pulpits to act like two Rove attack dogs, accusing Democrats of being less than patriotic on Iraq. For two men who have fought this war without deploying enough troops, always putting politics before policy, without any plans for the morning after and never punishing any member of their team for rank incompetence to then accuse others of lacking seriousness on Iraq is disgusting....

"We are entering the era of hard choices for the United States - an era in which we can't always count on three Asian countries writing us checks to compensate for our failure to prepare for a hurricane or properly conduct a war," said David Rothkopf, author of "Running the World: The Inside Story of the National Security Council and the Architects of American Power. "If President Bush doesn't rise to this challenge, our children and grandchildren will look at the burden he has placed on their shoulders and see this moment as the hinge between the American Century and the Chinese Century. George W. Bush may well be seen as the president who, by refusing to address these urgent questions when they needed to be addressed, invited America's decline."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,092 • Replies: 28
No top replies

blatham

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:28 pm
A big angry YES! to all the above.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 10:15 pm
The rich bin Laden family funded the Bushes. May be it is their idea to bring down the US by having GWB = Gone Way Back, as President.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 12:55 am
Thomas L. Friedman supported every single fu*ked up thing the Busheviks proposed.

Fu*k him.

Now he is having buyers remorse because fantasies don't come true?

the invasion of iraq was supposed to be a cake walk. Thomas L. Friedman fully supported it

the impact of globalization on the US economy was supposed to be positive. Thomas L. Friedman fully supported that view.

these were the two major items on the Thomas L. Friedman agenda over the past few years in his writings.

and both are a mess.

it is not that bush is out of ideas, it is that he implimented bad ideas even when told they were bad ideas by the experts and now we are stuck with the consequences of them, but not bush, his family or the Thomas L. Friedmans of the nation; they are wealthy and have no real worries. its the rest of us who are stuck with the consequences of bad policy even more badly administrated.

Thomas L. Friedman was the wingman at the Times for the neocon cabal in their push to reshape the map of the middle east. he provided cover for their insane proposition that the US was going to change a civilization steeped in two thousand years of tradition and bring it cheeseburgers and democracy by the barrel of a gun. and he never admitted that all along it was the barrel of oil we were actually after.

there were millions of us who were saying years ago what Thomas L. Friedman is spouting about now. he is way behind the curve on these things.

reading him anymore is akin to reading last year's superbowl predictions; we're way past all that now.

Bush is the worst leader of an imperial nation since Phillip II of Spain, and that guy actually worked at the job. and god help us all if george bush actually worked at being president instead if playing at it.

if an enemy power had done the long-term damage to US economic strength that george bush has with his adventerism and stupid policies, we would have declared war on it. a paid agent in the employment of a foreign power could not have fu*ked us up worse.

and Thomas L. Friedman was there step by step clapping for bush all the while.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 03:26 am
You're right. Friedman was the spin guy atNYTimes giving plausible reasons why the projects of GWB = Grand Works Blindly, were right - yeah, right-wing.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 04:56 am
Re: Thomas Friedman: The President who invited America's dec
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Opinion: Bush: "The President Who Invited America's Decline," Thomas L. Friedman (excerpts)

When I watch Mr. Bush these days...he looks to me like a man who wishes that we had a 28th amendment to the Constitution - called "Can I Go Now?" He looks like someone who would prefer to pack up and go back to his Texas ranch

When I observe Friedman on various talk shows these days, he looks to me like someone who is sorry for the things he's said about the president and would give anything for a face saving way to admit that he was wrong and Bush was right. When I see Ted Kennedy in clips from the Senate floor these days, he looks very much like a man who has realized that the liberal opinions he has espoused for years are wrong, and glimpses the enormity of the waste he has made of his life.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 08:51 am
Quote:
George W. Bush may well be seen as the president who, by refusing to address these urgent questions when they needed to be addressed, invited America's decline."

Indeed. History will label Bush as the most incompetent and damaging American president.
Instead of attacking the messenger it, I should think, would be more meaningful to address his comments.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:00 am
Friedman's mea culpa
I'm reposting Thomas Friedman's mea culpa dated May 13, 2004.
---BBB
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:06 am
I myself am of the belief that all of this was actually created in the mind of Thomas Friedman in an effort to gain readership.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:16 am
Sturgis wrote:
I myself am of the belief that all of this was actually created in the mind of Thomas Friedman in an effort to gain readership.

Would that odd rationale apply to your post above as well?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 10:36 am
No.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

No.

Yes.

(seems I have turned into Friedman before your very eyes)
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 01:23 pm
blatham
What can you expect from someone who believes Bush is a genius?
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 03:56 pm
Well, Bush is a genius.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 09:58 pm
Yes, GWB = Genius Without Brains, must be a genius to bring the US to its knees.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 24 Nov, 2005 11:00 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Yes, GWB = Genius Without Brains, must be a genius to bring the US to its knees.

This is our knees?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 12:53 am
The military is nearly broken, the national debt is $8 trillion, the Republicans are split and nervoous. The international image of the United States has been severely tarnished and an invasion of a sovereign nation undertaken without international approval. Only a genius could pull that off.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:06 am
I think this is what is meant by those writers/commentators writing/speaking about Iraq when they way that the only people making a sacrifice are the military (and families). Brandon, I think, is serious. The US simply doesn't look like a nation at war - no-one is making a sacrifice, save the military and those who are protesting the war. As for the economy - if you've got a job and good money and you're not wondering where the money to pay the bills is coming from, then there is no cause for concern. For now.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:17 am
talk72000 wrote:
The
...the Republicans are split and nervous.

What in God's name are you talking about?

talk72000 wrote:
...an invasion of a sovereign nation undertaken...

Sovereign in the sense of being the possession and plaything of a band of thugs who would torture and/or kill any citizen who expressed an opinion.

talk72000 wrote:
...without international approval...

We asked the UN to help, but they were too impotent and corrupt to do more than issue warning after warning after warning to Hussein. So, we went with the several dozen nations who agreed to participate.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:19 am
It is obvious that talk 72000 knows nothing about Economics. He moans and groans about our "national debt" but he does not appear to realize that the government's ability to finance its debt is tied to the size and strength of the economy or the GDP.

The USA has been in debt during much of its history. Indeed, at the end of World War II, debt held by the public was 109 percent of the GDP, it then fell to 24 percent in 1974. Debts do vacillate depending on the GDP and the Spending of the Congress.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Fri 25 Nov, 2005 01:22 am
You are correct, Brandon 9000. The bit about "without international approval" is bogus. Mr. Volcker's report on the Oil for Food scandal clearly shows that many countries( Russia and France for example) were in Hussein's pocket and would NEVER have been serious about pressing Iraq.
0 Replies