'Safe' Alzheimer's therapies disappoint

au1929

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 01:46 pm
'Safe' Alzheimer's therapies disappoint

Families' call for riskier treatments stirs ethical debate

Monday, November 21, 2005; Posted: 10:56 p.m. EST (03:56 GMT

Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A fog is slowly creeping over Dr. William Deutsch's brain. He would try a risky experiment, even one requiring brain surgery, in hopes of at least stalling his incurable dementia. But scientists have little to offer.

Families battling Alzheimer's disease and similar dementias increasingly are calling for a shot at riskier therapies that might bring bigger benefits than today's pretty safe but largely disappointing drugs.

It's a conundrum: Dementia robs its victims of the ability to fully consent to medical experiments. When loved ones can do so for them varies in part according to how much risk is involved.
Continued
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/11/21/fighting.dementia.ap/index.html

Faced with the question what would you do? Play it safe or risk all in the hope of a cure or a halt to the progression of the disease.
As for me I would risk all to avoid living with a condition which is in my opinion a living death. Were it possible I would include in my living will a request for euthanasia in the late stages of the disease should the misfortune overtake me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 629 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:08 pm
With Alzheimer's it is usually something else that kills you. In my father's case it was pheumonia.

While you're still hale and hearty it is a good idea to fill out a medical directive stipulating under which circumstances you want life prolonging measures to be undertaken.

One thing I can say about Alzheimers is that it appears to be an easier death for the victim of the disease than it is for the people who suffer watching someone die with it.

I would risk anything and everything to prevent my family from seeing me die with Alzheimers.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 02:15 pm
me too.

If I were diagnosed with alzheimers, you bet your bottom dollar i would sign up to be a 'lab rat' for a new drug.
Simply because, after about 2 years with the disease, the person who was.. is only a shell.

You forget everything, everyone and everywhere.

i dont care if I am the most physically healthy person on the planet..I wont know it.
So why make my family suffer ?
If I cant test out a new drug in my pre-death time.. then someone kill me .. please.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:37 pm
I'm with y'all. If that should ever happen to me; experiment on me! Even if it can't really help me, maybe it could help someone else.
0 Replies