Lovatts December Big No.154- The Demon

butterfly

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 06:38 pm
Hi Farkha

Thank you for all of the time and trouble you have gone to on my behalf trying to help me solve the 'yields' clue break up! Your help is always greatly appreciated my friend! Very Happy

That clever lady Lezzles, has come to the rescue and has validated 'yields' as the answer! (and stopped me from going around the bend! Laughing ) Thank you again Lezzles!

Lezzles was able to see what I definitely couldn't- 'yields' was in the break up of the last part of the clue all along!

This is how she solved it:

45D. Gives in and escapes deadly sin somehow (6)
Gives in = Yields
'and' escapes 'deadly sin' (take the letters of 'and' from the words 'deadly sin') = EDLYSI
EDLYSI is an anagram of 'yields'

Hope you have a nice day Farkha.
Talk to you again soon.
Take care.
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 07:12 pm
Hi Dutchy,

That is me on the list! Laughing Thanks for letting me know - it's a nice surprise! Will keep an eye out for the postie!

Wonder when Puzzle Pack 31 will be available to download?

I will be online all afternoon, and completing my Colossus 101 Cashwords, so post here if you get stuck on any of the new cryptic clues and I will get straight back to you. :wink:

I mailed all of my other '101' entries first thing this morning along with several other Lovatts competition entries.

Hope you have a nice afternoon.
Talk to you soon.
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

farkha

Reply Wed 4 Jan, 2006 11:56 pm
Bowled by the doosra! Well done Lezzles. Cheers all
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 01:59 am
Hi Butterfly

So pleased to hear your efforts have been rewarded by winning the CD, another asset to your puzzle knowledge collection, congratulations you deserve it. Very Happy

Have been working on the cryptic most afternoon occasionally checking for puzzle pack 31 but no luck sofar.

Butterfly I have completed the bottom 9 lines of the Colossus cryptic after I started with "yields"!! Would you be so kind to check the following answers and see if I'm on the right track?

56d = subtract 57d = shrilly and 73a = hatchetman

I'll feel pretty confident that my other answers are spot on and if you confirm the above 3 for me I'm ready to tackle the top half.

Reply whenever you have a spare moment.
Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:19 am
Hi Dutchy

All of your answers are spot on! :wink:

56D. Remove = Subtract
political article = tract
after
'bus' overturns = sub

57D. Ear-piercingly = Shrilly
foolish = silly
human resources = HR
sHRilly

73A. Does he axe unwanted personnel? = Hatchetman
he =man
axe = hatchet

Well done Dutchy! Post if you need any help. Laughing

I know you would have already sent in your Colossus 101 entries, but I'm hoping you may be able to help me with one of the Cashword clues:

37A. Plundering spree (7)
I have - R?M?A?E

I am leaning towards rummage, ( the only other word I could find was 'rampage' but it didn't seem right), but I can't find a definition for it that matches the clue! Confused . Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hope you're having a nice evening.
Talk to you soon. Laughing
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:03 am
Hi Butterfly

Thank you for quick reply, much appreciated.

For Cashwords 37a "plundering spree" I have settled for rampage. I don't think that rummage can be connected up to plunder. I can link "plunder" to rampage though, see below:

Main Entry: predatory
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: eating
Synonyms: bloodthirsty, carnivorous, depredatory, despoiling, destructive, greedy, hungry, hunting, marauding, pillaging, plundering, predacious, predative, preying, rapacious, raptorial, ravaging, ravening, thieving, voracious, vulturine, vulturous, wolfish
Source:
Roget's New Millennium™ Thesaurus, First Edition (v 1.1.1)
Copyright © 2006 by Lexico Publishing Group, LLC. All rights reserved.
Overview of noun rampage
The noun rampage has 1 sense (no senses from tagged texts)
• 1. rampage, violent disorder -- (violently angry and destructive behavior)

Hope this helps. Off to see some friends tonight, so any replies will not be seen until tomorrow.

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:04 am
Hi Butterfly

For Cashwords 37a "plundering spree" I have settled for rampage. I don't think that rummage can be connected up to plunder. I can link "plunder" to rampage though, see below:

Synonyms: bloodthirsty, carnivorous, depredatory, despoiling, destructive, greedy, hungry, hunting, marauding, pillaging, plundering, predacious, predative, preying, rapacious, raptorial, ravaging, ravening, thieving, voracious, vulturine, vulturous, wolfish
Source:
Overview of noun rampage

Hope this helps. Off to see some friends tonight, so any replies will not be seen until tomorrow.

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:04 am
Hi Butterfly

Source:
Overview of noun rampage

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 03:12 am
Thanks for your help Dutch - will go with 'rampage' Laughing

Have a lovely evening out!
Talk to you soon.
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 02:45 pm
Hi Butterfly

Back on deck early this morning. Just harping back to "rampage", have a look at the following address: http://www.answers.com/topic/rampage?gwp=19, just stick in any word you are interested in and you get some for good information.

Get definitions for rampage, rummage, plunder and spree and then try to link them up, if you can do that, I always feel pretty confident that one has the right answer.

However we are only human and no doubt an occasional misinterpretation will occur. Laughing

Have a nice day. Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy

PS. Do not know why my last message appears several times Question
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 07:50 pm
Hi Dutchy,

There must have been a few mischievous Gremlins lurking around when you posted your message last night! Laughing

Thank you for telling me about 'answers.com'- I did as you suggested and then added the website to my 'favourites' list for future reference.

I sent an e-mail to Lovatts yesterday afternoon asking about Puzzle Pack 31, and when it would be available for download - I received an e-mail back from them this morning that said Lovatts are unhappy with the way that the Puzzle Pack delivers the online puzzles to their customers, and that they are in the process of updating it. Also, in the meantime, to please see the following link for more online puzzles.

www.thepuzzleplayer.com

They gave no indication of when it would be back- guess we'll just have to keep checking. Laughing

Hope you have a good afternoon Dutch.
Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 5 Jan, 2006 09:23 pm
Hi Butterfly

Many thanks for all that information, was also contemplating sending Lovatts an e-mail re puzzle-pack 31, had an inkling something was amiss.

You did what I also do, add helpful websites to "my favourite file", I now have about 40 of them, very convenient.

Butterfly I have just completed the Colossus Cryptic and would be pleased if you could check a few words for me just in case I'm of the mark Laughing

20a = truant 35a = communal 28d = babytooth 29d = asparagus 31d = flustered

I'm pretty confident the remainder of the words I have are correct. There is no way I can break them down as expertly as you do, but with the help of my word-maker I feel I have the right words. Laughing

Looking forward hearing from you.
Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 12:27 am
Hi Butterfly

Cazdaizy is looking for some Cryptic answers on A2K, I'm sure you're the girl who can solve her problems. I'm not even trying. Laughing

Catch you soon. Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 03:02 am
Hi Dutchy

All of your cryptic answers are spot on! :wink: Laughing

20A. He won't be there to give his present = Truant
Fairly self explanatory- he won't be in class to call out 'present' when his name is called for the 'attendance' record.

35A. Public = Communal
heartless 'mum' = mm
'lou can' + 'mm' is an anagram of 'communal'

28D. Early chopper that will be replaced eventually = Baby tooth
Fairly self explanatory- chopper = tooth (informal)

29D. It provides tips for vegetarians = Asparagus
'tips' meaning 'asparagus tips'. The clue then becomes self explanatory.
Tricky tricky! Laughing

31D. Hot and bothered = Flustered
'let us' + 'Fred' is an anagram of 'flustered'

Your cryptic answers to 'Carole' were spot on too Dutch, well done! :wink:

Hope you have a nice evening.
Talk to you soon.
Take care. Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 06:11 am
Hi Butterfly

Finished "Starhunts" which came in this mornings mail. Had a bit of spare time and followed up on the url "answer.com" tonight.

Butterfly it is possible to download this programme which then sits neatly in your task bar. Just type in the word that your are interested in and you have an enormous lot of information at your fingertips.

You can also run your cursor over any word on your desktop, just push the "alt" key and voila you have every bit of information imaginable about the word in front of you. Absolutely incredible.

You can install the programme, which is free, from the following site;
http://www.download.com/1-Click-Answers/3000-2366_4-10477766.html

See what you think, I'll run it for a while to evaluate its usefulness, but from what I have seen and read about it sofar, it would appear a very handy programme indeed.

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 6 Jan, 2006 11:57 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Thanks for letting me know about the 'answer.com' download- how are you finding it? I am always nervous about trying new things- I visited A2K for many months as a guest before plucking up the courage to join as a member! Laughing

Hope you're having a nice weekend.
Talk to you soon.
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 05:19 am
Hi Butterfly

A short note to say I have completed the Colossus Stinker today. Very Happy
Quite a few curly questions I'll tell you. Made good use of my new gadget, very impressed sofar, should be an asset to our puzzling armoury.

A2K is the only group I participate in, and only in this forum "trivia & word Games", I have found it very helpful and feel pleased if I can assist a fellow puzzler.

Butterfly if I can help you with the "stinker" I'm only a "message" away.

Enjoy your Sunday.
Speak to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sat 7 Jan, 2006 09:36 am
Hi Dutchy,

Hope you're having a good weekend!

Thankyou for your offer of help with the Colossus Stinker- I'm sure I will have to call on you soon! Laughing

Sounds like your 'Answers.com' download is coming in handy!

Enjoy your Sunday paper crossword and have a nice day!
Talk to you soon.
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 02:45 am
Hi Butterfly

Trust you had a nice day, another warm one here, so stayed inside and did my Sunday's paper puzzle.

I need your help Butterfly as I'm well and truly stuck on two words, the questions look easy, but believe me they are very, very tricky.

Q: Explosive noise (6 letters), I have re???t

Q: Proportional (8 letters), I have ?atea?l?

The second last letter of first word is first letter of second word. Have you any suggestions for me? I'm banking on you Butterfly Laughing

I note you've already assisted one puzzler on A2K today. Well done!

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 8 Jan, 2006 04:58 am
Hi Dutchy,

Hope you've had a great weekend.

Explosive noise (6) = REPORT

*Collins English Dictionary 4th Australian Edition definition:
Report- 7. A sharp loud noise, esp. one made by a gun.

*Readers Digest Word Power Dictionary definition:
Report- 4. A sudden loud noise of or like an explosion or gunfire.

Proportional (8) = RATEABLE (variant spelling) Tricky tricky! Laughing

* Wordsmyth online definition:
Ratable, Rateable- 2. Relative or proportional.

Hope this helps Dutch, let me know what you think.

Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Talk to you soon.
0 Replies