Lovatts December Big No.154- The Demon

butterfly

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:56 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Thats great news! Very Happy Thank you for taking the time early this morning to let me know the result, very much appreciated!

A2K was running slow again for a while last night, then went back to normal.

I will keep an eye on Speed Dial tonight and tomorrow in case you need any assistance with the Sunday crossword for this week. :wink:
(Just keeping my fingers crossed that A2K will be running at normal speed! Laughing )

Hope you have a lovely day out.
Talk to you soon.
Take care Dutch.
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 03:01 pm
Hi Butterfly

Morning Butterfly, can I bother you with a difficult clue from my Sunday Paper? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Clue: scold (5 letters), have r?u?e

The closest I can come to is "rouse" but I can't connect it to scold. Any suggestions?

Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 05:12 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Hope you had a good weekend.

You are totally correct with 'rouse', but in a different sense! Laughing Laughing
The one you need is 'to rouse on'.

Collins English Dictionary 4th Australian Edition definition:
1. Rouse 6.(raus). (intr; foll.by on) Austral. to speak scoldingly or rebukingly (to).

Hope that puts your mind at ease. Post if I can assist you with any others- always glad to help. Very Happy

Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Have a nice day.
Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 07:46 pm
Hi Butterfly

Thank you for your explicit reply, feel completely happy now. Smile

One more, last word in puzzle got me stumped, believe it or not.

Clue = packing materials , 7 letters. Have g?s?e?s

Thinking of "gaskets" or "gussets" but not entirely happy with these words. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:13 pm
Hi Dutchy,

I think 'gaskets' may be the way to go for 'packing materials'.

Dictionary.com definition:
Gasket n 1. Any of a wide variety of seals or packings used between matched machine parts or around pipe joints to prevent the escape of a gas or fluid.

Collins English Dictionary 4th Australian Edition definition:
Gasket n 1. a compressible packing piece of paper, rubber, asbestos, etc., sandwiched between the faces of a metal joint to provide a seal.

Let me know what you think- hope it helps.

Have a good afternoon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 09:33 pm
Hi Butterfly

Thanks for your research, you are worth your weight in gold, will definitely settle for "gaskets". Very Happy

What keeps you busy at the moment? Finished all your Lovatts puzzles?

Talk to you soon
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 03:27 am
Hi Dutchy,

The 'Alphabet game' is a good one to play. I couldn't resist teasing you at least a little bit tonight- hope you didn't mind Dutch?

Another good word games thread is 'What's Next'. Have you had a look at that one before?

I have almost completed all of the February Big, and still have a bit of work to do on the current Colossus and Holiday books before I can send them in.
Also, Findawords and Cluewords arrived in the mail today, so I have plenty to keep me out of trouble for a while! Laughing

Hope you're having a nice cool evening.
Talk to you again soon.
Take care Dutch. Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 03:13 am
Hi Butterfly

The "alphabet game" is still going, I enjoy mixing it with you ladies, didn't mind your tease at all. Helped you getting back on your feet didn't I Laughing

Will have a look at "What's next" later on. Thanks for letting me know about "Cluewords" & "Findawords", will go to my newsagent tomorrow and see if they are on the shelf.

For tonight a bit of cricket, swimming on TV, and completing the "Maxi" in People magazine.

Enjoy the rest of your evening
Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 04:57 am
Hi Dutchy,

Have been trying to get into A2K since you posted your reply on the speed dial tonight, but have only just managed to make it in- now 9.30pm!
On a go slow again- seems to be around the same time every night lately.
Must be one of the most popular times of the day/night for everyone to log in! Laughing

In Mega Stinker no.42, 'clue 231A. Vats', had the answer 'tubs' when the solution was published. I had put 'TUNS' as my answer, so I e-mailed Lovatts and had confirmation back by e-mail from them today that both 'tubs' and 'tuns' were accepted as correct answers for that clue. Good to file away for future reference. :wink:
It's always a worry when more than one answer seems to fit a clue, and you're trying to decide which one to go with! Laughing

keeping an eye on the cricket tonight too! Laughing

Have finished Findawords but have yet to start Cluewords- will probably commence the Baffler sometime tomorrow.

Good luck in your People Magazine 'Maxi' competition, will keep my fingers crossed for you as I always do! :wink:

Enjoy the rest of your evening.
Talk to you soon. Take care Dutch.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:35 pm
Hi Butterfly

Must leave the "ladies" alone for a while Laughing

Have just collected my Cluewords, Findawords and small Codecrackers issues.

Putting the finishing touches to my Big DIY and may come back to all the other threads later on.

Enjoy the rest of the afternoon. Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.

ps. must have knocked out lmur, haven't seen him since Laughing
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 31 Jan, 2006 09:41 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Glad the books were in for you today, bet you'll have them finished in no time flat! Laughing

Have a great afternoon and happy puzzling.
Talk to you soon, warm regards Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 11:43 pm
Hi Butterfly

Just finished the "Demon" in Cluewords. In between time I'm trying to keep up with the various threads in a2k but obviously got hopelessly bamboozled. Will give it spell for the moment before I make anymore slip-ups. Good fun though. You are a very astute lady for picking that up. Smile

Have a good night. Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 12:07 am
Hi Dutchy,

It's great to catch up with you on all the different word game threads,
makes them much more fun to play. Laughing

Some of the games can move very quickly, and it's easy to get pipped at the post sometimes, (happens to me all the time!), but most of the players are good natured and take it in their stride.

Did Felix manage to wheedle any prawns out of you? Bet he did! Laughing

Can't manage to get in to A2K from around 8.15pm each night lately- goes so slowly and ends up dropping me out! Stays like that for an hour or sometimes longer. Sounds like you had the same problem last night?

Hope you have a nice cool evening.
Talk to you again soon.
Take care Dutch, warm regards Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 09:24 pm
Hi Butterfly

Before I go and watch the cricket, I enjoyed participating in the various ak2 threads, they do move a bit fast for me though. Laughing

As always Felix got his fair share!

Have noticed the same problem with a2k every night, extremely hard to get in. To many callers at once I guess.

Enjoy the rest of the day Butterfly.
Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 2 Feb, 2006 11:03 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Hope you enjoy watching the cricket and the swimming tonight .

Will catch up with you on the word game threads again soon, I'm sure. Laughing

Have a nice evening and a great weekend.

PS- Good luck in the Sunday paper crossword for this week, you know what to do if you get stuck! :wink:
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:00 pm
Hi Butterfly

About to sign off from the threads, good to have a few laughs.

Have a go at the "Song title chain", have been racking my brains but sofar unable to continue.

Have a nice day, talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 3 Feb, 2006 06:02 pm
Take care Dutch, and have a good afternoon!
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 05:06 am
Hi Butterfly

Thank you for being such a good sport for participating in the various threads, they are quite a challenge, aren't they?

Ak2 got awfully slow so I bailed out, you obviously did the same, can't blame you.

Presently it is back to normal. Would love to know what the cause of it is.

Enjoy your Sunday. Will most likely catch you somewhere on ak2. Laughing

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 07:14 am
Hi Dutchy,

A2K started to get slow here around 8.15pm, and took so long to load each page that all the fun was taken out of it, so I had to give up in the end!

Hope you have a great sunday and enjoy your crossword- post if you need assistance with any clues, and I'll do my best to help you.

Will catch up with you on some of the other threads again soon! :wink:

0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 4 Feb, 2006 04:48 pm
Hi Butterfly

Good Morning my friend, noticed you've been busy with a2k overnight Laughing

Just to let you know that your answers for last week's Sunday puzzle, "rouse and gaskets", were spot on.

Starting the new one right now. Stand by Laughing

Talk to you soon.
Regards Dutchy
0 Replies