Lovatts December Big No.154- The Demon

Dutchy

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 10:00 pm
Hi Butterfly

You are correct with both words!

My information dictionary states:
"among" = from one end to the other, and

"major-domo" is given as: the chief manservant in a large household, especially a royal or noble household, responsible for managing domestic affairs. A manservant is ofcourse a butler.

Have completed my four puzzles. Just seen my newsagent and guess what, Mega, Cluewords and FindaWord have just turned up, a day early! Very Happy

Is Bradbury the connection?

No doubt will talk to you soon again.
Kindest regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Tue 29 Nov, 2005 11:47 pm
Good afternoon Dutchy,

Thankyou so much for your help, its much appreciated!

Just double checking one thing Dutchy- 'from end to end'- was 'among' a typo that was meant to say 'along' by any chance? Laughing

Good luck in your other 4 competitions, keeping my fingers crossed for you! :wink:

I am so glad that you were able to get the 3 new issues today!
I have completed the Cluewords Baffler and am two-thirds of the way through the Mega Stinker, so post if you get stuck and I'll help you.
Happy puzzling Dutchy!

Yes is the affirmative to your question.

Talk to you again soon.
Warm regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:07 am
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 11:25 am
Thursday, 1/12/2005 4.10am

Good morning Dutchy,

I have just completed the Findawords competitions, but still have some research to do to complete the Mega Stinker- soldiering on! Laughing

Thankyou again for your help with the answer 'along' for the Stinker clue 'from end to end'- I appreciate the time and trouble you went to to find and print out the definition of it for me!

Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 12:38 pm
Thursday, 1/12/2005 5.30am

Hi Dutchy,

I just finished the Mega Stinker and will be happy to help you if you get stuck with any of the clues. Thanks again for all of your help Dutchy!

Have a nice day!
Talk to you again soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:31 pm
Hi Butterfly

Good morning to you too.

Thanks for your offer of help. Completed "Findaword" last night and am now starting "The Baffler". Good day for it as rain is forecast for most of the day.

Will be here for you also if you're stuck. Happy puzzling, talk to you soon.

Warmest regards
Dutchy Very Happy
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 02:38 pm
hi dutchy & butterfly,

just like to say i think you'd make a lovely couple

love & kisses,
lmur
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 05:50 pm
Hi lmur,

Dutchy and I are major Lovatts crossword fans as you can see, and especially enjoy the chase of trying to solve the Demons, Stinkers, Bafflers, and those tricky Cryptic competitions in particular! Laughing

It's great to be able to compare crossword information, seek help/advice
when you need it, and very rewarding to give help back whenever possible!

Post if you get stuck on any Lovatts clues lmur, and I'll do my best to help you!

Regards, Butterfly Very Happy
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 06:20 pm
Thanks for the kind words, Butterfly.

I enjoy tackling the occasional cryptic crossword as well. You two seem like complete addicts though! I hope you get out and about on occasion!

What exactly is Lovatts? Is it a monthly magazine or somesuch? Is it only available in the Land of Oz? Is it available by subscription?

Regards,
Lmur.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:14 pm
Hi again Lmur!

Lovatts publish crossword and puzzle books of all different kinds and sizes, including Sudoku now, and the puzzles vary from easy to more difficult. Some books are published monthly, some bi-monthly, and others quarterly.They are also available by subscription if you like. You can win some great prizes in their competitions! They also have puzzles that you can do online.

Here is the Australian website in case you would like more information: www.lovatts.com.au
( there, you will also find links to the New Zealand and United kingdom Lovatts websites ).

Hope this helps Lmur, post again if I can help you further!
Talk to you again soon.
0 Replies

lmur

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 07:29 pm
Butterfly, you're a star!

It's way past my bedtime in Paddyland. Looking forward to checking out the site tomorrow.

G'night. Razz
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 09:45 pm
Hi Lmur

You're right Lmur, Butterfly is a real "Star", she loves helping Cruciverbalists like me and others, a very knowledgeable lady indeed, just check this site since she joined.

As far as getting out and about is concerned, have no worries about that Lmur, I enjoy a most healthy lifestyle with a daily walk along our beautiful beaches or a walk up the hills with spectacular views of our city.

Personally I feel Lovatt's magazines are a great escape from watching all the rubbish being dished up on the TV these days. Have a good look at the site Butterfly suggested I'm sure you will like what you see.

Kindest regards,
Dutchy "down under".
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:06 am
Hi Lmur

The Lovatts monthly online "Puzzle Pack" competitions are also worth having a look at if you visit the website- they are free to download.
Hope to talk to you again soon!
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:41 am
Hi Dutchy,

You're the 'star', not me! Laughing, but thank you for your kind words!

Hope the Baffler is going well for you, post if you get stuck and I'll help you.

I just went in to see if the new December 'Puzzle Pack' was ready to download, but no.29 is still up for now.

Have a nice day Dutchy.
Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 05:46 pm
Hi Butterfly

Lovatts Puzzle Pack 30 is now available, just downloaded it, will probably
call on you regards the "Cryptic". Smile

Getting phyched up to start the Mega Stinker.......

Happy puzzling, talk to you soon
Kind regards Dutchy
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 06:18 pm
Hi Dutchy,

Thanks for letting me know that no.30 is now available, I'll go in and download it now and try to get as much of it done as I can before the predicted thunder storm hits here this afternoon!

Good luck with the Mega Stinker today! Post if you get stuck.

Happy puzzling Dutchy.
Talk to you again soon.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:08 pm
Hi Dutchy,

I have beaten the storm and have managed to finish the online Puzzlepack. I was scared to put the last remaining letter into the 'Big' puzzle grid, for fear I had messed up again like I did with last month's! Laughing This time around I was much more careful! Rolling Eyes

Hope the Mega Stinker is going well for you.

Post if you get stuck.
Talk to you soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 11:47 pm
Hi Butterfly

Gee whiz Butterfly you certainly don't waste time having completed the entire puzzlepack already. Decided to drop everything else and tackle the cryptic first, and guess what I'm stuck, have completed the puzzle but that mystery word did not appear. Rolling Eyes

Believe I could have made a mistake at 17d for which I have "fateful", and 21a where I have "tool", other than that I do not know where I could have possibly gone wrong? May be in the following?? For 12a I have "isle", 23a "oral" and 5d "thermos".

Weave your magic wand Butterfly and tell me where I've erred, the cryptics are certainly not yet my forte. Your expertise will be greatly appreciated.

Talk to you again soon.
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies

butterfly

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:10 am
Hi Dutchy,

Sorry I have taken so long to get back to you tonight- severe thunderstorms here all evening! This is the first chance I've had to go back online.

* fateful
* tool
* isle
* oral
* thermos
All of your answers above are correct Dutchy!

Tell me- Do you have your 'feet on the ground' or your 'head in the clouds' when eating your 'brussel sprouts'? Laughing
Some others are: 'ruin','solo', 'dodo' and 'area'.

If any of these are not the culprit, just post again Dutchy with some more and I'll get back to you asap, no worries! :wink:

Talk to you again soon.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 07:28 am
Hi Butterfly

You did it again!

Would you believe I had one letter wrong! For "feet on" I had "feet of". When I made the alteration, voila, the word "guava" came up. Many thanks for your assistance. Very Happy

Hope thunderstorms have subdued by now and you have a peaceful night. Have a nice weekend.

Talk to you soon
Regards Dutchy.
0 Replies