Factcheck discredits Dem claims of "different" pre-war Intel

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:22 pm
Factcheck rejects Dem claims that intell was corrupted or that the President knew intell info not available to Congress, instead argues that the intell was wrong, just as Bush as been stating.

factcheck wrote:
The President says Democrats in Congress "had access to the same intelligence" he did before the Iraq war, but some Democrats deny it."That was not true," says Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean. "He withheld some intelligence. . . . The intelligence was corrupted."

Neither side is giving the whole story in this continuing dispute.

The President's main point is correct: the CIA and most other US intelligence agencies believed before the war that Saddam had stocks of biological and chemical weapons, was actively working on nuclear weapons and "probably" would have a nuclear weapon before the end of this decade. That faulty intelligence was shared with Congress - along with multiple mentions of some doubts within the intelligence community - in a formal National Intelligence Estimate just prior to the Senate and House votes to authorize the use of force against Iraq.

No hard evidence has surfaced to support claims that Bush somehow manipulated the findings of intelligence analysts. In fact, two bipartisan investigations probed for such evidence and said they found none. So Dean's claim that intelligence was "corrupted" is unsupported.

factcheck wrote:
On one important point the National Intelligence Estimate offered little support for Bush's case for war, however. That was the likelihood that Saddam would give chemical or biological weapons to terrorists for use against the US.

Al Qaeda: The intelligence estimate said that - if attacked and "if sufficiently desperate" - Saddam might turn to al Qaeda to carry out an attack against the US with chemical or biological weapons. "He might decide that the extreme step of assisting the Islamist terrorist in conducting a CBW attack against the United States would be his last chance to exact vengeance by taking a large number of victims with him," the NIE said.

The report assigned "low confidence" to this finding, however, while assigning "high confidence" to the findings that Iraq had active chemical, biological and nuclear weapons programs, and "moderate confidence" that Iraq could have a nuclear weapon as early as 2007 to 2009.

Admittedly, Factcheck does gives credence to questions on how Bush used the intelligence suggesting Bush may have "mislead the public" by advocating an attack while "the intelligence community was reporting to Bush and Congress that they thought it unlikely that Saddam would give chemical or biological weapons to terrorists - and only "if sufficiently desperate" and as a "last chance to exact revenge". But this is the "Phase Two" investigation being completed by the Senate Intell Committee.

Further, since the President and Congress were operating from the same Intell Estimate, it seems very disingenuous and hypocritical for Dem lawmakers to continue to argue that Bush manipulated the intell data.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,900 • Replies: 31
No top replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:39 pm
Quote:
The President says Democrats in Congress "had access to the same intelligence" he did before the Iraq war, but some Democrats deny it."That was not true," says Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean. "He withheld some intelligence. . . . The intelligence was corrupted."

Neither side is giving the whole story in this continuing dispute.

The President's main point is correct: the CIA and most other US intelligence agencies believed before the war that Saddam had stocks of biological and chemical weapons, was actively working on nuclear weapons and "probably" would have a nuclear weapon before the end of this decade. That faulty intelligence was shared with Congress - along with multiple mentions of some doubts within the intelligence community - in a formal National Intelligence Estimate just prior to the Senate and House votes to authorize the use of force against Iraq.

No hard evidence has surfaced to support claims that Bush somehow manipulated the findings of intelligence analysts. In fact, two bipartisan investigations probed for such evidence and said they found none. So Dean's claim that intelligence was "corrupted" is unsupported.

Your thread title is, in fcat, not factual. The key fact is that there has yet to an investigation into this matter. Most wrongdoings require an investigation to be exposed.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:41 pm
The intel was manufactured in the Pentagon under Doug Feith's guidance.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:41 pm
Curveball. Look that name up. The admin knew he was a liar, Congress didn't. Congress was derelict in its duty but their big sin is they actually trusted the POTUS!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 10:27 pm
Interesting, I will read my Fact Check updates very carefully when I get home - it's a good service, I think.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 07:59 am
I read the factcheck and it seems to me that we had a bunch of lazy congressmen and women who did not read the report before voting on it and that includes the democrats who are now claiming that they were in a position to know all the facts. They only had to read to know all the facts. There was doubts about Nuks and big doubts about the AQ connection.

However, this does not excuse Bush and Cheney from sexing up the war by saying the intellegence was more than it was when they talked to the public.

http://www.factcheck.org/article358.html

Quote:
But while official investigators have found no evidence that Bush manipulated intelligence, they never took up the question of whether the President and his top aides manipulated the public , something Bush also denies.

In fact, before the war Bush and others often downplayed or omitted any mention of doubts about Saddam's nuclear program. They said Saddam might give chemical, biological or even nuclear weapons to terrorists, although their own intelligence experts said that was unlikely. Bush also repeatedly claimed Iraq had trained al Qaeda terrorists in the use of poison gas, a story doubted at the time by Pentagon intelligence analysts. The claim later was called a lie by the al Qaeda detainee who originally told it to his US interrogators.

Quote:
The report assigned "low confidence" to this finding, however, while assigning "high confidence" to the findings that Iraq had active chemical, biological and nuclear weapons programs, and "moderate confidence" that Iraq could have a nuclear weapon as early as 2007 to 2009

Quote:
Misleading the Public?

Neither the Senate Intelligence Committee nor the Silberman-Robb commission considered how Bush and his top aides used the intelligence that was given to them, or whether they misled the public. The Senate Intelligence Committee is supposed to take that up in "phase two" of its investigation - and there's plenty to investigate.

Vice President Cheney, for example, said this on NBC's Meet the Press barely a month before Congress voted to authorize force:

Cheney, Sept. 8, 2002: But we do know, with absolute certainty, that he (Saddam) is using his procurement system to acquire the equipment he needs in order to enrich uranium to build a nuclear weapon.

As we've seen, that was wrong. Department of Energy and State Department intelligence analysts did not agree with the Vice President's claim, which turned out to be false. Cheney may have felt "absolute certainty" in his own mind, but that certainty wasn't true of the entire intelligence community, as his use of the word "we" implied.

Similarly, the President himself said this in a speech to the nation, just three days before the House vote to authorize force:

Bush, Oct. 7, 2002: We've learned that Iraq has trained al Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases . And we know that after September the 11th, Saddam Hussein's regime gleefully celebrated the terrorist attacks on America.

Iraq could decide on any given day to provide a biological or chemical weapon to a terrorist group or individual terrorists. Alliance with terrorists could allow the Iraqi regime to attack America without leaving any fingerprints.

That statement is open to challenge on two grounds. For one thing, as we've seen, the intelligence community was reporting to Bush and Congress that they thought it unlikely that Saddam would give chemical or biological weapons to terrorists - and only "if sufficiently desperate" and as a "last chance to exact revenge" for the very attack that Bush was then advocating.

Furthermore, the claim that Iraq had trained al Qaeda in the use of poison gas turned out to be false, and some in the intelligence community were expressing doubts about it at the time Bush spoke. It was based on statements by a senior trainer for al Qaeda who had been captured in Afghanistan. The detainee, Ibn al-Shaykh al-Libi, took back his story in 2004 and the CIA withdrew all claims based on it. But even at the time Bush spoke, Pentagon intelligence analysts said it was likely al-Libi was lying.

According to newly declassified documents, the Defense Intelligence Agency said in February 2002 - seven months before Bush's speech - "it is . . . likely this individual is intentionally misleading the debriefers. Ibn al-Shaykh has been undergoing debriefs for several weeks and may be describing scenarios to the debriefers that he knows will retain their interest. . . . Saddam's regime is intensely secular and is wary of Islamic revolutionary movements. Moreover, Baghdad is unlikely to provide assistance to a group it cannot control." The DIA's doubts were revealed Nov. 6 in newly declassified documents made public by Democratic Sen. Carl Levin of Michigan, a member of the Intelligence Committee.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 08:59 am
The top-secret National Intelligence Estimate (NIE) given to members of congress was 92 pages long. Now, it seems to be the case that most members of congress couldn't even be bothered with reading the whole thing, relying instead on a five-page synopsis:
    A point worth noting is that few in Congress actually studied the intelligence before voting. The Washington Post reported: "The lawmakers are partly to blame for their ignorance. Congress was entitled to view the 92-page National Intelligence Estimate about Iraq before the October 2002 vote. But . . . no more than six senators and a handful of House members read beyond the five-page executive summary."
Bush has said that the congress had access to the same information as he had, but that clearly cannot be the case. Surely Bush and his top advisors (Cheney, Powell, Rumsfeld) had access to more than 92 pages worth of information. The NIE given to congress was a distillation of the information that had alreday been filtered through layers of the executive branch. It is inconceivable that members of congress (even if they had bothered to read the NIE) had access to the same information as the president. I think FactCheck needs a logic check on this one.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:09 am
So now FactCheck is wrong because it disagrees with your opinion? Good to know cause there have been times they have disagreed with my opinion and now I know they were wrong, not me.

I feel vindicated. Smile
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:35 am
Factheck got it wrong this time. I did not know anyone calimed infallibilty.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:38 am
Of course they did. They disagreed with you guys. I understand completely. I think you're blinded by partisanship, but I understand.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:44 am
Rat, you present no evidence or reason why you agree with fact check except that you are a blind partisan.

Try rebutting Joe...

Quote:

Bush has said that the congress had access to the same information as he had, but that clearly cannot be the case. Surely Bush and his top advisors (Cheney, Powell, Rumsfeld) had access to more than 92 pages worth of information. The NIE given to congress was a distillation of the information that had alreday been filtered through layers of the executive branch. It is inconceivable that members of congress (even if they had bothered to read the NIE) had access to the same information as the president. I think FactCheck needs a logic check on this one.

...rather than making unsubstantiated claims.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:57 am
That is a good point. Maybe that is why Cheney is changing is wording to simply "information" rather than "same information."
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 09:58 am
I agree with Factcheck for the same reason you guys agree with them when it suits you. They state the facts. The fact they are stating is that Congress had the same info available to them that Bush had. But to maintain the Bush lied doctrine, the democrats amongst us cannot accept that fact. So factcheck is wrong.

So point to factcheck when it helps you but keep claim they are wrong when it appears they hurt you. As I said, I understand completely. Heck, I'm not even saying I wouldn't do the same thing. Well, I personally wouldn't, but it would not surprise me if some republican minded a2k'ers would.

Oh, and I am not making unsubstantiated claims. Look at Factcheck. My claims are substantiated by an organization y'all quoted from during many other debates here. But of course, they are wrong now. Right?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:01 am
Factcheck has a strong reputation for credibility and accuracy and I rely on it. I'm not prepared to abandon it just yet. I do think that we have to be careful to read the whole article before drawing our own conclusions, though. Their point was that congress got inaccurate prewar intel and that doubts and disagreements are indicated in the information they received. It's hard to prove, and I don't think they do, that Bush had only exactly the same intel that was provided to congress, and nothing more, as we can only examine what has been declassified, and that's not much.

Also, they may soon be issuing a correction to their claim that two bipartisan commissions have investigated whether intelligence was manipulated and reported in the negative. That phase of the investigation has not completed, or at least they have not released a report.

The thing that makes factcheck so good is that they only deal with established facts. The problem with relying on their articles as conclusive findings is that they only deal with established facts, meaning, they might not have enough information. They are usually very careful to keep the scope of their articles narrow enough to remain factual and accurate. So we should be careful not to read more into it than what is really there.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:05 am
Quote:
White House Used 'Gossip' to Build Case for War
By Rupert Cornwell
The Independent UK

Monday 21 November 2005

The controversy in America over pre-war intelligence has intensified, with revelations that the Bush administration exaggerated the claims of a key source on Iraq's alleged weapons of mass destruction, despite repeated warnings before the invasion that his information was at best dubious, if not downright wrong.

The disclosure, in The Los Angeles Times, came after a week of vitriolic debate on Iraq, amid growing demands for a speedy withdrawal of US troops and tirades from Bush spokesmen who all but branded as a traitor anyone who suggested that intelligence was deliberately skewed to make the case for war.

Yesterday Donald Rumsfeld, the Defence Secretary, joined the fray, saying that talk of manipulation of intelligence "does great disservice to the country".

In Beijing, President George Bush said that a speedy pullout was "a recipe for disaster" - but the proportion of Americans wanting precisely that (52 per cent according to a new poll) is now higher than wanted similar action in 1970, at the height of the Vietnam war.

In an extraordinary detailed account, the Times charted the history of the source, codenamed Curveball, an Iraqi chemical engineer who arrived in Germany in 1999 seeking political asylum, and told the German intelligence service, the BND, how Saddam Hussein had developed mobile laboratories to produce biological weapons.

But by summer 2002, his claims had been thrown into grave doubt. Five senior BND officials told the newspaper they warned the CIA that Curveball never claimed to have been involved in germ weapons production, and never saw anyone else do so. His information was mostly vague, secondhand and impossible to confirm, they told the Americans - "watercooler gossip" according to one source.

Nonetheless the CIA would hear none of the doubts. President Bush referred to Curveball's tale in his January 2003 State of the Union address, and the alleged mobile labs were a central claim in the now notorious presentation to the United Nations by Colin Powell, then Secretary of State, in February 2003, making the case for war.

The senior BND officer who supervised Curveball's case said he was aghast when he watched Mr Powell overstate Curveball's case. "We were shocked," he said. "We had always told them it was not proven ... It was not hard intelligence."

The Iraqi, it now is clear, told his story to bolster his quest for a German residence visa. According to BND officials, he was psychologically unstable.

The debacle became complete when American investigators, sent after the invasion to find evidence of the WMDs, instead discovered Curveball's personnel file in Baghdad. It showed he had been a low-level trainee engineer, not a project chief or site manager, as the CIA had insisted. Moreover he had been dismissed in 1995 - just when he claimed to have begun work on bio-warfare trucks.

Curveball was also apparently jailed for a sex crime and then drove a Baghdad taxi.

The latest disclosures come at an especially delicate moment, as the Senate Intelligence Committee is about to resume a long-stalled inquiry into the administration's use of pre-war intelligence. Committee members said last week that the Curveball case would be a key part of their review. House Democrats are calling for a similar inquiry.

Washington is also still reverberating from the outburst of John Murtha, the veteran Democratic Congressman and defence hawk with close ties to the Pentagon, who last week urged an immediate "redeployment" of the 160,000 US troops in Iraq. Administration attempts to label him a defeatist have abjectly backfired. "I've never seen such an outpouring" of support, the decorated Marine Corps veteran, now 73, declared on NBC's Meet the Press programme yesterday. "It's not me, it's the public that's thirsting for answers."

No longer could President Bush "hide behind empty rhetoric". Mr Murtha said that his vote for war in October 2002 "was obviously a mistake. We were misled, they exaggerated the intelligence". He forecast that whatever the Bush administration said, "We'll be out of there by election day 2006" - a reference to next November's mid-term elections, when many Republicans fear that the Iraq debacle could drag the party down to defeat.

Intelligence Red Herrings

* Curveball: The Iraqi chemical engineer in his late twenties who defected to Germany in 1995, with tales of mobile germ weapons laboratories that were dubious before the invasion, and later shown to be false. The CIA brushed aside all doubts.
* Ahmed Chalabi: The exiled Iraqi leader won his way into the favour of the Pentagon. Defectors he brought to US attention proved to be false, as was his claim that US invaders would be met with bouquets.
* Iraq's quest to buy uranium from Niger: This claim was based on forged documents originating in Italy, but President Bush repeated it in his 2003 State of the Union speech.
* The aluminium tubes affair: Saddam was said to be seeking parts for a centrifuge for use in making a nuclear weapon. Analysts' doubts were disregarded.

http://www.truthout.org/docs_2005/112105B.shtml
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:07 am
FreeDuck wrote:
They are usually very careful to keep the scope of their articles narrow enough to remain factual and accurate. So we should be careful not to read more into it than what is really there.

Whch the author of this thread obviously did not do.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:12 am
I agree completely Freeduck. I don't believe all the facts are in just yet. Investigations are still under way.

And if facts come out that show Bush manipulated the intel, then I would believe Factcheck will report that as fact, regardless of how Bush would try to spin it. But based on the facts that are present, congressmen who claim that the data was manipulated are wrong. They are the ones trying to spin the facts at this time.

Claiming factcheck is wrong in this one instance is ignoring the currently available factual evidence and is pure partisan blindness.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:16 am
Yep, I'll be waiting for subsequent factcheck articles with baited breath. But in the meantime, regardless of what I personally feel went on, I have to accept that the facts available don't support it. Yet. :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:26 am
CoastalRat wrote:
So now FactCheck is wrong because it disagrees with your opinion?

No, FactCheck is wrong because its logic is seriously flawed. In attempting to ascertain the truth of Bush's assertion that congress had access to the same information as the president and his advisors, it equated the 92-page NIE with the totality of all the information that Bush and his advisors received. Now, either that equation is false, in which case FactCheck is wrong, or else Bush went to war on the basis of 92-pages worth of information, which is as ludicrous as it is frightening.

CoastalRat wrote:
Good to know cause there have been times they have disagreed with my opinion and now I know they were wrong, not me.

Given your respective track records, I'm willing to bet that it was you, not them.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:32 am
Naw, had to be them. I'm never wrong. Didn't you get the memo? Dang, someone messed up again and didn't send it to you. I'll make sure you are copied on that right away.
0 Replies