This is your brain on cats?

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:40 pm
I read an article in the current issue of Esquire about a researcher who has (controversally) linked schizophrenia to cats.

The article is available only through the subscriber service or by buying an issue of the magazine but I have excerpted a few paragraphs for you to read:

Quote:

I really recommend the full article though, if you have the opportunity to read it.

I don't really have a question or direction for this thread but thought I'd share this fascinating information and invite comments.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 990 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:10 pm
It is well known that cats is the spawn of Satan . . . at last, science has begun to recognize this . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:13 pm
I doubt the factitude.

Schizophrenia appears in roughly the same proportions everywhere....and I do not believe cats are very numerous in some places.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:15 pm
One thing's certain, there are too damned many of them . . .
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:19 pm
Setanta you are ornery today, my friend!

That is an interesting note, dlowan. I have no idea of the incidence of schizophrenia.

Or the incidence of cats, for that matter.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:21 pm
Setanta wrote:
It is well known that cats is the spawn of Satan . . . at last, science has begun to recognize this . . .

Nothing yet has been proven

...and to think, I'm a cat who used to like dogs Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:21 pm
Makes some sense to me. Seems to me that mrs. hamburger worked with a doc who did research in this area in the 1950's <but I could have imagined that as the reason she's so leary of cats in homes>

Toxoplasmosis - cats - humans : the combination's been known to be a problem for many years. This is just another possible area where it may be a factor.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/toxoplasmosis/factsht_toxoplasmosis.htm#what
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:45 pm
Well that explains alot about my behavior lately. Now at least I know who to blame - my loving cats.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 03:55 pm
Very interesting link, eBeth. Thank you!

Linkat, the title of the article is "Finally, an Explanation for the Crazy Cat Lady in 5B".

There were several things that started him down this research path --

One was an article in The Lancet suggesting a link between multiple sclerosis and exposure to a virus transmitted by dogs.

Another was learning that in the US and Europe cats were not kept as pets until the middle part of the 19th century when there was a "cat craze". Twenty years after this cat craze admissions to psychiatric hospitals in England and the US tripled.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:11 pm
I think the cats consciously know what they are doing. They invade your mind - mentally and then convince you to house more and more of their friends. They are really intelligent creatures - they make humans work for them. We feed them, house them, give them attention and even clean up their poop. They simply lay around and decide when they want to be petted. If we give them attention at the wrong time, they hiss, scratch and/or bite.

It has nothing to do with their feces. They have power over our minds.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:11 pm
Not having read any of the links yet, I'm already musing about antibody testing.
0 Replies