What is the condition of your workplace kitchen?

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
I have heard many complaints about sloppy co-workers leaving messes in the bathroom, but what about the kitchens? We have kitchens that have a sink, refrigerator and microwave. The slobs leave stuff on the floor, crap in the sink and leave spills on the counters. I am tired of cleaning up after them - yes I do clean up as I can't stand it.

How do your workplace kitchens look?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,285 • Replies: 12
No top replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:39 pm
OMG, I was only just talking about this with a work colleague today!

Our work kitchen is a dump! The dishes are piled high, crap everywhere and things lurking in the fridge from the neolithic period.

Our cleaners are not responsible for the kitchen, only the floor. We have a rotal where last Friday in every month, the fridge is supposed to be emptied (regardless of what's in there) but it never happens.

I avoid it now - only get drinks from the machine...I just can't take the stink and bacteria. I think we should involve the Union - BUT WHY? We are all grown adults, but the people at work are slobs. I'm afraid to say it's mostly the menfolk as well!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:45 pm
I'm making a guess that in my area it is the younger crowd. There is a group near to ours that is filled with new college graduates. My guess is that they have not matured enough to realize their actions (or lack there of). Perhaps their mommies have catered to them and they are not yet responsible.

Your kitchen, however, makes ours look pristene (from the sounds of it).
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:58 pm
I'm sure it breeches Health and Safety, that's why I was talking about it today, I went into work and the smell of gone off milk was horrible, but no matter how many laminated notices are up about 'cleaning after yourself' nothing works.

I'm sure it's something psychological regarding collective behaviour, but i don't enough about the subject to give it a proper name, but it's definately something to do with 'ownership'... or 'dis-ownership' Confused
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:05 pm
Ours isn't as bad as what you're describing above, but still...

How can people leave their dirty dishes and silverware in the sink? They do that here. I suspect the thinking is: I'll get to it later. Except later, there are multiple sets of dirty plates and utensils, and it's a major chore best left alone...
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:10 pm
Ours gets really bad sometimes... the students and staff share the kitchen and it is a small room.. with a sink two round tables and a few vending machines... we have two microwaves that seem to never been clean and always broken.... I would never touch one piece of silverware in there... we have two mini fridges that are supposed to be cleaned out every friday, yet they seemed to be cleaned out once a year... some of the stuff smells SO bad.. I won't put anything in there... and most of the time you could stick to the floor... everyone leaves everything in there all the time.

It is very rare that it is clean!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:07 pm
It is great where I am now, it was often bad where I was before.

So it goes.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:30 pm
Well, I'll stop complaining now. There are not many dishes (if any left in the sink). Just more of spilling on the counter, leaving napkins, empty sugar packets, etc around - just stuff that reeks of complete laziness. Is it really that hard to throw a piece of paper in the trash vs. leaving it on the counter? That kind of stuff.

The fridge is cleaned out monthly - where they throw away pretty much anything not labeled "Do Not throw away."
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:34 pm
Whatever wherever a window above the sink is best.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:29 am
Ours is pretty nice. We have two full-size fridges, three working microwaves, two coffee machines, a sink and a full-size dishwasher. The cleaning crew does the floor in the kitchen and adjoining lunchroom, nothing more. People are pretty good about putting their dishes in the DW (tho we did have to post a sign lately). If the dishwasher is running or full of clean dishes you're supposed to either empty it and put your dish in or take the dirty mess back to your desk -- not leave it in the sink. And I seldom see more than one coffee mug or spoon in the sink.

The one thing is, all the forks disappear. There should be at least two dozen (I put a dozen in the drawer myself) but there's never more than two or three in the kitchen, between the dishwasher and the drawer... it's a mystery.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:38 am
Its rank, like the rest of the place.

Im one of 2 women that work here.
Admittedly I use 1 glass every now and again and I admit I dont wash it up.
But everybody else has their lunch/breakfast/snacks here and god knows how many cups of tea and coffe so there is plates and cutlery and cups everwhere.Ther is a cup to my right which has been there since last week.

As 1 of the 2 women here and Im here all day and im a receptionist, I get the distinct impression I or my female college is supposed to do all the cleaning of this kind of stuff.
Something which I refuse to do,admittedly I feel bad about the 1 glass I use, I may rinse it or put it in the dishwasher.I also feel bad that the other lady seems to do it all but she is a mummy and doesnt complain at looking after the guys here.

I made it clear I wasnt happy making cups of tea for people so nobody asks me anymore and I dont clear up after them.

If i wanted to make an unlimited number of cups of tea or clean up after people i would have applied to work in a cafe/restaurant!!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:47 am
Amazing, in't it, that if you'se a wimmin the mins just think you'll natcherly clean kitchens? It's like they think it's genetic.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:56 am
Yep,I also get the impression ,they would never hire a guy to do my job as they cant boss guys around as much as they do me.
Overall they are very nice but everynow and again one will be really patronising when I suggest a completly reasonable thing to help out the company.

I know my place.
0 Replies