Is Santa Claus Real?

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:21 pm
My seven year old daughter asked me this as I was driving her to school this morning. My heart is breaking - how can she be old enough to yet question Santa's existence? She hasn't even been old enough to get a visit from the tooth fairy yet.

Instead of answering her yes or no, as I don't want to lie, I asked, "What do you think?" She thought and pondered and answered, "Well he has a head like me." - meaning that he is not a costumed character. She realizes that Santa is a real person not some one in a costume. She then stated how some one told her Santa isn't real. I responded that people believe different things and what you believe is what is important. She seemed satisfied with that.

Now tell me - do you believe in Santa?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,251 • Replies: 13
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 12:47 pm
(Good response!)
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:16 pm
My mom's line (which worked for several years) was: "Santa only brings presents to children who believe in him."
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:19 pm
Yes (in my own adult way)

The minute you stop believing in Santa is the minute Christmas becomes just another busy day.
I still get excited over Christmas morning and waiting to see what ever one else got.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 02:42 pm
Thanks sozobe. I couldn't think of another way of responding without lying. I don't want her to think I lied about something like that - what else did mom lie about. When she is ready she will realize - sort of like how she figured out that Mickey Mouse at Disney isn't really Mickey Mouse, but some one dressed in a costume.

I love your mom's line too mac.

Bella - Christmas should feel like a magic sort time. So it is great to believe in spirit at least. I feel in my adult way that Santa is a symbol of selfless giving (not just with material things, but in other ways).
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 10:57 am
I'm with Bella. A few years ago I was in danger of letting the magic slip away, but recently I have been newly filled with the wonder of the season, and love and caring for the people in my life.

Happy holidays to you all!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:00 am
My grandma is still trying to convince me that santa is real.. she actually almost had me convinced 2 years ago... so I choose to believe that is it possible... but my mom told me when I was 5 that he wasn't real
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:01 am
Good answer Linkat and Mac11.

I believe Santa is based on a real person who lived many many many years ago, so in a way if yuo said yes to his existence you wouldnt really be lying and youcould sleep well at night.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
When my daughter found out (not by me though), she told everyone in her class the "good news" http://www.borge.diesal.de/oh.gif

I got a few emails from upset mothers, and I felt very bad.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:14 am
It seems odd to tell kids not to lie, yet if asked of santa's exsistence parents tend to say yes.

Dont feel bad Calam, Im sure the parents felt caught out and they wanted to take it out on yuo.
0 Replies

Joahaeyo

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 11:32 am
I like mac11's answer. Everyone I grew up with found out on their own and did everything they could to make sure their parents didn't know they knew, so we'd get extra presents. Smile
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:15 pm
I never believed in santa clause, i thought my brothers were trying to treat me like an idiot telling me there was one.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 12:25 pm
My older son was six and his father--a damn fool in many ways--was being very heavy handed about pushing belief in Santa.

I broke the news gently and my son beamed. "Oh good. Everyone at school has an opinion about Santa, but now I really know."

In my experience being promoted to being one of Santa's helpers trumps the belief in Santa every time.
0 Replies

rapalot

Reply Sat 24 Dec, 2005 02:58 am
santa is real!
santa is real i know this b'coz i saw him on my roof delivering presents for my kids and he had loadsa reindeer waiting 4 him of corse hes real!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies