Why do protestants deny their catholic heritage?

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:36 pm
Lash wrote:
<osso is dating on the protestant thread>

<smiles>

No dating, just a little harmless flirting. I do aspire to share the table waters with Ms. Bucco someday.

Lash,
I'll buy you a Bud Light.

Deal ?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 22 Nov, 2005 06:16 pm
A big one!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
The 700 Club is Pat Robertson's cash cow. He pukes up his propaganda, and his volunteers staff the phone banks so the faithful and credulous can send in their ten and twenty dollar donations. Pat lives well . . . very well . . .

I see -- both what the club is, and what the parallels to the 95 theses is. You might be interested in an approach that early protestants (I think Lutherans) took with a man named Etzel. Etzel, a freelance worker for the Catholic Church, sold letters of indulgence for a living, which early protestants disapproved of. So a group of protestants reportedly bought a letter of redemption for a future murder from him, then beat him to death. The story may be true or folkore, and this may have been a bit of a rough way to make a point. But I like the applied irony behind it. Maybe something like this could prove a similar point about Robertson?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:46 pm
Thomas wrote:
... a man named Etzel....

I know of a Johann Tetzel - could it be him? (He was quite famous and is well known/studied by historians.)

http://www.d.umn.edu/~aroos/tetzel.JPG

A caricature of Johann Tetzel, the indulgence preacher who spurred Luther to publish his 95 theses. Note the dog he is riding. The last line of the caption reads, "as soon as the gold in the basin rings, right then the soul to heaven springs."
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 03:50 pm
Yes, Walter, that was him. I googled the name together with "ablasshandel" to find out if it worked. That did yield a few hits, albeit surprisingly few. Apparently the "Etzel"s I found were typos of "Tetzel". Embarrassed Nice poem. The armchair economist in me cannot help but admire his business sense somewhat. Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:23 pm
Jeeze, really, Thomas, sold indulgences . . . but, but, that would be simony, wouldn't it . . . imagine that . . .

(the foregoing sarcasm brought to you by someone who prefers that to rolling-eyed emoticons)

Please go to this page, and see my Post #1682802--Tetzel is the tax farmer to whom i refer in that post who so offended the Saxons.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 04:34 pm
Thomas, at the end of the post which i mention above, you will see that i have criticized Protestants for their ignorance of their own religious antecedants. I would be at pains to have our German friends understand that this applies to Protestants in America, and particularly the fundamentalist flavor--many eschew learning, contending that the Holy Bobble is the only book they need--and their ignorance of the Protestant Reformation is evidence that, in that matter at least, they practice what they preach.
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:24 pm
I am a Traditional Catholic (goes back to the Council of Trent in the 16th century, rather than to the 2nd Vatican Council in the 60's)
Christ celebrated the first Mass (Last Supper) he did not 'preside over the first Protestant prayer service'
Protestantism was founded by a man Catholicism was founded by God
I know protestants who actually beleive they are Catholics. And they think there is no point in them converting.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:37 pm
Ultramontane then?

The lunacy continues, unabated . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 30 Nov, 2005 04:51 pm
Actually, Protestants and Catholics are pretty much the same.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2005 07:17 pm
You really think so?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 12:15 am
Yes, at least they are rather close, and ecumenism works rather well - mostly.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 01:36 am
In the UK, Protestants and Catholics are quite different.

The majority of Protestants are only classed as Protestants in a technical sense, that being the fact that they were baptized as a baby. Most (including me) were only baptized for the sake of appearance, and have never been to church since.

Catholics in the UK, however, are usually brought up in the faith, attending Catholic schools and attending church regularly throughout their formative years.
By the time they have reached the age of sixteen, most of them have passed the advanced level exam in guilt, which is a required qualification if they wish to continue being a Catholic throughout their adult life.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 05:44 am
In the United States, they usually cede the palm to the Jews, in terms of guilt.

How many Jewish mothers does it take to change a light bulb?

Nevermind . . . i'll just sit in the dark . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 09:35 pm
We seem quite removed from Cathol in these parts.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 09:42 pm
I think the special patron of devoutly Catholic mothers is Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2005 10:13 pm
Oh, and just a point-of-reference sidebar re the "closeness" of Lutheranism and Catholicism - while hewing to the home flock whenever practicable is to be preferred, members of either denomination may as a matter of unavoidable exigency satisfy their worship obligation by attending services of the other denomination. For more than 3 decades now, talks have been underway between the hierarchy of the two denominations, the ultimate aim of which is to restore full communion between the two. Many accommadations have been reached, though significant difference points remain. Each denomination lauds the progress of this initiative, and holds forth in full faith that the other may through these talks be brought at last to recognize, admit, and renounce the errors of it ways.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 12:28 am
In business terms, this is called a merger. Why incur the cost of running two churches in the same street, when you can make the combined congregation all fit into one?
This fact, combined with the desparate shortage of Catholic priests due to the celibacy thing, will ensure not only the financial survival of the business, but even allow enough profit for the Bishop to upgrade his quality of food and brandy.

The empty church down the road could then be developed into a medium sized housing estate, thereby providing a fair amount of rental income for the future.

Very good business sense really, which is the main reason for the church being there in the first place. Well, that coupled with power and control.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 6 Dec, 2005 07:04 am
Our dignified social superior wrote-

Quote:
By the time they have reached the age of sixteen, most of them have passed the advanced level exam in guilt, which is a required qualification if they wish to continue being a Catholic throughout their adult life.

Yes your Highness but as Tom Wolfe has recently remarked -

"The silken slither-slither,the golden spasms:that's what it's all about.It's an everyday thing.These health centres in the colleges,they encourage good sex.
It was going to all these colleges that made me realise that sex has been de-moralised.And I really don't think de-moralised sex is as much fun as good old evil sex."

I'll take the guilt ridden convent girl over the sex as consumer item lady anytime.One feels a certain sense of acheivement when one unpicks 20 years of priestcraft.

Do you not like puzzles your Worship?
0 Replies

Im the other one

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2005 04:27 pm
Quote:
Well, I hope I'm one of those redheads you don't find all bad.

me too momma.

Very Happy
0 Replies