Why do protestants deny their catholic heritage?

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:03 pm
Lash wrote:
Luther got fed up, and publicly challenged the church--a protester--Protestant.

Do you understand what he was challenging the church about?

The 700 Club reference may be clearer to those who do.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:04 pm
I'm not bashing Christians, I'm bashing Protestants. Very Happy

Protestants constantly quote and believe in the absolute authority of the Bible... a book brought to them wholly by the Catholics who at least had the sense to understand the difference between tradition and Tradition.

As a way of safeguarding the unillumined mind, the leaders say that knowledge is a sin.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:04 pm
Don't hold yer breath waitin' fer the nickel to drop, Sweetiepie Girl . . .
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:06 pm
Heat? I was just about to get out a blanket and curl up in front of a fireplace and watch Touched by an Angel. Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:10 pm
Well, it appears I've opened a diet of worms here.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:11 pm
Lash wrote:
Why do protestants deny their catholic heritage?

Bishop Wolfgang Huber, Chair of the Evangelical Church of Germany Council wrote on the occasion of the election of Pope Benedict:

"Evangelische und katholische Christen sind in ihren Wurzeln aufs Engste miteinander verbunden." - "Evangelical and Catholic Christians are most tight-knitted in their roots."

And during the World Days of the youth he said that baptism connects the two churches in a "sacramental band of unity".

Sources for above: press reports by the Evangelical Church in Germany
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Well, it appears I've opened a diet of worms here.

heeheeheeheeheehee . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:14 pm
Piffka wrote:
As a way of safeguarding the unillumined mind, the leaders say that knowledge is a sin.

Classic, Boss, that's first class . . .
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:19 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

No, not arrogant questioner, just amused that so many can believe so many ridciulous things about a group BEFORE doing even the most preliminary research on your own.

BTW, where was the prattle? At least I've got my history straight, rather than just "hearing something, somewhere"

I was attempting to add something to the discussion. Since I'm not informed on the history of the catholic/christian belief systems, I threw out something I had overheard once in an effort to stimulate conversation.
Kindly point out to me where I stated my beliefs on that topic.

I never once claimed to have a "story", straight or otherwise. Your rebuke is unwarranted and unnecessary. Thus it was "prattle".

Quote:

You're not inferior questioner, you're just not better.

Right, allow me to change the label from arrogant to presumptious. That fit better with you?
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:26 pm
I'm sad (not really) that this is happening to a thread in which I was trying to show how similar everyone was. (Not directed to anyone in particular, but to the general feel of the thing.)

Unless we're now trying to prove a different point, through subtle examples, about common human reactions. If that's the case, then I guess it's all right.... :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
After the 1898 Spanish War, McKinley was telling reporters that America had a mission to bring the guiding light of Jesus to the poor, benighted Philippinos--when one of them pointed out that the Philippinos were already Catholic, McKinley responded: "Exactly." (Them Protestants just crack me up.)

quote]

That's a great one!

'scuse me, it's time for me to go worship St. Obitius.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 05:56 pm
Re: Why do protestants deny their catholic heritage?
dyslexia wrote:
Must be about 85% of all protestants I've known deny their christian heritage from the roman catholic church and trace their roots directly back to jesus or peter. Is this due to lack of historical knowledge or simply revisionism?

Nah, it's just because history is bunk, and Catholicism is a legacy religion anyway. Why bother? Seriously though: This must be an American thing. The story of how Luther and the Catholic Church got alienated with one another was required learning among us German Lutherans. No denial here.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:03 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Lash wrote:

While I have heard of Catholics, I must admit I have no idea who the 700 club is. Should I have one? Is it more important than the Catholic Church?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:11 pm
Hmmm. Everything Set wrote in his summary rang true for me, though I couldn't have just typed that out myself.

I have one quibble, in that Michelangelo painted the ceiling at the Sistine chapel, which I aver is adjunct to the main basilica, although it is appended.
0 Replies

John Creasy

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:37 pm
I am proud of my Irish Catholic heritage. Especially since my people were persecuted for it by the punk a$s Brits.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:41 pm
Thomas wrote:
ehBeth wrote:
Lash wrote:

While I have heard of Catholics, I must admit I have no idea who the 700 club is. Should I have one? Is it more important than the Catholic Church?

The 700 Club is Pat Robertson's cash cow. He pukes up his propaganda, and his volunteers staff the phone banks so the faithful and credulous can send in their ten and twenty dollar donations. Pat lives well . . . very well . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:47 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Lash wrote:

If you read back, you'll see that I know what the challenge was about.

It's just that there are several Christian bashing threads available. I don't understand why supposed intelligent people can't discuss facts about corruption in the Catholic church without dragging in corruption in another religion. It's childish.

The Diet of Worms reference wasn't as private as you think.

And, the haters on this thread have not been Protestants. Still can't tolerate facts here, can you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:48 pm
Whoo-Hoo . . . paranoid delusions . . . ya gotta love that . . .
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:53 pm
I don't count as a "hater", do I? I mean, I was trying my best not to be. So you better not think I'm one, or I'll hate you all and never forgive you ... ever!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:56 pm
You haven't said anything hateful, smog.

And, making criticisms of the Catholic church isn't a condemnation of it, either.
0 Replies