Booster Seats Not Required on Field Trips

Linkat

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:44 am
Could you please give me your opinions and thoughts on how to handle the following situation. And if I am incorrect on any of my facts or information I state.

My understanding is that all children under 4'9" should be in a booster seat at least that is what my child's doctor stated. Also that a shoulder belt should be used whether in a booster seat or not as just lap belts are not any where near as safe. Many cars still have only a lap belt in the middle seat so I would assume that no one should use that middle seat (my car has shoulder belts in all seats).

At my daughter's school, since the classes are so small, when they have a field trip, parents that chaperone also drive the children in their cars. In the past if I have not been able to chaperone, I have brought my daughter's booster seat. This year I have chaperoned each field trip. The first one, I only had one other child and he was way too small to not have a booster seat. I kept telling him to sit up straight because of course the seat belt did not fit him right. So this time I brought along 2 extra booster seats - and no matter what the child would say - my rule is that any child under 4'9" would have to use it or not get into my car. Well this trip there were so many parents volunteering that I drove with another parent. Not one other child in the car had a booster seat and at least half of them should have. Also to make it even worse the lap belt in the middle did not work right. I tried in vain to help the little boy fit into the belt, but it was not going to work. The dad driving said, "Don't worry he'll be all right." I did - I know this boy and his parents.

I have been worried about this situation since. I was thinking of approaching the school administrator to discuss. Should I? Is there some tactful way I could do this? It really concerns me - I can't believe these parents even do this - This is a very small Christian School that seems to really love and care for their children with huge parental involvement, but yet they don't follow simple safety rules that could easily be remedied.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 620 • Replies: 3
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:18 am
I would most certainly approach the school.

Maybe if you put the focus on you and your daughter instead of the school - "I'm worried about Beloved being in someone's car without a booster seat. I do NOT want her riding in a car without one." "I'm worried about my responsiblity to these kids if anything were to happen."

Maybe one of the legal eagles here could explain the liability that the school faces should something happen to a child. That would make a great talking point.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:21 am
Anyone look at school buses lately? No seatbelts - no booster seats. Makes me nutty.

Little bitty kids - staying in their seats only through willpower.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:27 am
You can have your child bring along a booster seat if you want. It is strictly up to the parent of the child. I know only one other parent in my daughter's class that does this.

So basically I am putting my nose where it doesn't belong. I am suggesting that on field trips that all children under the 4'9" should be in a booster seat (whether the parent provides it or not). I may be over stepping my bounds.

I also feel that no child should be in a shoulder belt (no lap belts only) and that all seat belts are in working condition.

I will always insist that my daughter use her booster seat and with a shoulder belt. I can at least control that.
0 Replies