Why John Murtha Is Right re Iraq War

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:17 pm
I got news for you, so are the republicans. The dems have been divided for the last 8 years so that's not really news, and Lieberman has always been a democrat in name only (DINO).
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:21 pm
Murtha was put out there by the Dems ala Cindy Sheehan Part Deux, that's all. Just like they chose Kerry to run for pres.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:27 pm
Maybe. Maybe not. Does it matter? Do you think that somehow republicans don't play politics in the same way? The thing is, they wouldn't be doing it if they thought there wasn't enough public support for it, right or wrong, just like the republicans.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:30 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Maybe. Maybe not. Does it matter? Do you think that somehow republicans don't play politics in the same way? The thing is, they wouldn't be doing it if they thought there wasn't enough public support for it, right or wrong, just like the republicans.

Oh, I agree, it's just that this forum gets tilted one way too much, I'm here for balance.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:32 pm
Ah, I understand. Carry on.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:33 am
Murtha Says Army Is 'Broken, Worn Out'
Murtha Says Army Is 'Broken, Worn Out'
12/1/05 - Yahoo news

Most U.S. troops will leave Iraq within a year because the Army is "broken, worn out" and "living hand to mouth," Rep. John Murtha told a civic group.

Two weeks ago, Murtha created a storm of comment when he called for U.S. troops to leave Iraq now. The Democratic congressman spoke to a group of community and business leaders in Latrobe on Wednesday, the same day President Bush said troops would be withdrawn when they've achieved victory, not under an artificial deadline set by politicians.

Murtha predicted most troops will be out of Iraq within a year.

"I predict he'll make it look like we're staying the course," Murtha said, referring to Bush. "Staying the course is not a policy."

Murtha, 73, the ranking Democrat on the House Appropriations defense subcommittee, expressed pessimism about Iraq's stability and said the Iraqis know who the insurgents are, but don't always share that information with U.S. troops. He said a civil war is likely because of ongoing factionalism among Sunni Arabs, and Kurds and Shiites.

He also said he was wrong to vote to support the war.

"I admit I made a mistake when I voted for war," Murtha said. "I'm looking at the future of the United States military."

Murtha, a decorated Vietnam war veteran, said the Pennsylvania National Guard is "stretched so thin" that it won't be able to send fully equipped units to Iraq next year. Murtha predicted it will cost $50 billion to upgrade military equipment nationwide, but says the federal government is already reducing future purchases to save money.

Murtha, who represents a western Pennsylvania district that includes Latrobe, was first elected to Congress in 1974.

Lt. Col. Chris Cleaver, spokesman for the Pennsylvania National Guard at Fort Indiantown Gap, said "there are some deployment concerns."

Cleaver said some guard units had to leave equipment in Iraq when they returned to the United States, which could cause training problems here.

But Cleaver also said most of the 2,100 Guard troops now deployed with the 2nd Brigade Combat Team can't be sent back to Iraq for a second tour of duty anyway, because of regulations that limit redeployment.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:40 am
Slowly, the Wheel is Turning in Iraq
Slowly, the Wheel is Turning in Iraq
Gary Hart

"The public trust must be earned, and speaking clearly, candidly and forcefully now about the mess in Iraq is the place to begin."

I wrote those words in August in The Washington Post to call on Democratic Party leaders to step forward on Iraq. My years in the Senate and as co-chair of the Bipartisan Commission on National Security had convinced me that, unless Democrats provided real leadership, Americans would never receive the honest and open debate about Iraq that our country deserves.

When I first read John Kerry's October speech on Iraq, I knew it was a turning point. He spoke with the same unwavering voice - truth speaking to power - as he did when I first heard him speak out about the war in Vietnam in 1971. John Kerry got it right last month when he said, "Asking tough questions isn't pessimism; it's patriotism" and then answered those questions by offering a detailed plan to get the troops home.

In recent weeks, Democratic leaders across America -- Jack Murtha, Ted Kennedy, Joe Biden, Pat Leahy, John Edwards and Barack Obama -- have questioned the Bush Administration's unfocused "stay as long as it takes" approach. Democrats have joined together to offer substantive alternatives to get it right in Iraq and made it clear that our conscience and conviction lie with taking care of our troops.

This fight isn't just about the future of the Democratic Party -- whether we're going to have a strong Democratic Party that speaks its mind or settles for being a second Republican Party. This fight, at its core, is about restoring the strength and honor of America.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:45 am
The belief is that Murtha is voicing the opinion of the military in the pentagon. Something they cannot do for themselves.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 10:56 am
au1929
au1929 wrote:
The belief is that Murtha is voicing the opinion of the military in the pentagon. Something they cannot do for themselves.

Murtha has as much said exactly that. So sad that our military leaders cannot speak their minds without losing their careers. A broken system creates that atmosphere.

BBB
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:13 pm
Murtha was wrong,and its real easy to explain why.
He has never been to Iraq,does not know what is happening,does not know what the problems or solutions are,and has no business trying to tell the President,or anyone else,what policy should be followed.

If he had ever been to Iraq,he would know he is wrong.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:14 pm
Three Who See the War Clearly Reps. McKinney, Serrano and Wexler After the 403 to three vote, in a statement submitted for the record, McKinney said:

"I will not vote to give one more soldier to the George W. Bush/Dick Cheney war machine. I will not give one more dollar for a war riddled with conspicuous profiteering.

"Tonight I speak as one who has at times been the only Member of this Body at antiwar demonstrations calling for withdrawal. And I won't stop calling for withdrawal.

"I was opposed to this war before there was a war; I was opposed to the war during the war; and I am opposed to this war now - even though it's supposed to be over.

"A vote on war is the single most important vote we can make in this House. I understand the feelings of my colleagues on both sides of the aisle who might be severely conflicted by the decision we have to make here tonight. But the facts of US occupation of Iraq are also very clear. The occupation is headed down a dead end because so long as US combat forces patrol Iraq, there will be an Iraqi insurgency against it.

"I urge that we pursue an orderly withdrawal from Iraq and pursue, along with our allies, a diplomatic solution to the situation in Iraq, supporting the aspirations of the Iraqi people through support for democratic processes."

(The full text of Rep. McKinney's statement appears at the bottom of this page.) http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=9374
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
McKinney would have voted against declaring war on Japan after Pearl Harbor.
She is a racist,and a coward,that is only interested in lining her pockets.
She is worthless.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
Do you know for a fact that he has never been to Iraq? Is visiting Iraq the only way to know what is going on there? If so, when is the last time President Bush went to Iraq?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:27 pm
MM
mysteryman wrote:
McKinney would have voted against declaring war on Japan after Pearl Harbor.
She is a racist,and a coward,that is only interested in lining her pockets.
She is worthless.

On what basis would you label McKinney a racist?

BBB
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:30 pm
mysteryman, I understand your position clearly. Cynthia has you Bushie's pegged as liars and war criminals. She can back up her positions. Do you have a link to back up your soundbites/whines about her? Do you realize that 6 out of 10 Americans believe Bushie deliberately lied us into war? That's the highest crime a man could commit.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:35 pm
mysteryman wrote:
business trying to tell the President,or anyone else,what policy should be followed.

The constitution you purport to have protected in Iraq disagrees with you. Murtha, whatever else he may be, is a member of Congress. That makes it his business.

mysteryman wrote:

As it happens, I know a veteran from both Iraq wars whose opinion is diametrically opposed to yours. You may think that Iraq policy is a no-brainer. Other Iraq veterans think otherwise. I find your presumtion of expressing the unanimous opinion of everyone who has faught in Iraq to be just that -- presumptuous.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:39 pm
You dont need to be in Iraq to know Bushie lied us into war.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 12:42 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Do you know for a fact that he has never been to Iraq? Is visiting Iraq the only way to know what is going on there? If so, when is the last time President Bush went to Iraq?

Yes.
Visiting Iraq is the best way to know what is happening.
Bush was there on Nov 27,2003.

If Murtha had visited Iraq,it would have made news.
Since NO news agancy ever reported that he had,it is a safe assumption that he hasnt.

Quote:
On what basis would you label McKinney a racist?

BBB

Answer...
http://www.slate.com/?id=2064530

She loves to call everyone else racist,especially those that disagree with her.
She will accept money from groups with connections to terrorism,but she refuses to accept money from Jewish groups...
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/042002/opi_089-5915.shtml

She has proven by her actions...supporting a dictator (Robert Mugabe) and other actions that she is a racist,and does not deserve to be in congress.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:10 pm
mysteryman wrote:
He has never been to Iraq,does not know what is happening,does not know what the problems or solutions are,and has no business trying to tell the President,or anyone else,what policy should be followed.

MM, I think you have gone off of your meds.

John Murtha has made several trips to Iraq. He is one of the most qualified members of congress to understand the problems in Iraq.

BBB
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 01:15 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

MM, I think you have gone off of your meds.

John Murtha has made several trips to Iraq. He is one of the most qualified members of congress to understand the problems in Iraq.

BBB

I could find no links or news stories of him ever going to Iraq.
Do you have any?
0 Replies