News reporting - help!

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:38 am
Hello everyone

Im looking for websites/documents/references or even books that would teach me/guide me on how to write a good, outstanding, NEWS REPORT or news article regarding any event?
I want to excel in this field and I want to train myself, so I'd better look for support advice and tips to make me improve my style and way of writing to the best possible.

Anything you guys can help me with?

Thanks a bunch
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 497 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 09:42 am
http://memory.loc.gov/learn/lessons/99/fear/guide.html

Quote:
Guidelines for Writing a News Article
A well-written news article should contain the following items:
Headline - Your headline should be a "hook" to grab the reader's attention
Byline - That's you!
Lead-in sentence for opening paragraph - Just like your headline, your lead-in sentence needs to be a "grabber."
Opening paragraph - Besides an interesting lead-in sentence, be sure to answer the following basic questions:
Who?
What happened?
When?
Where?
Why?
Supporting paragraphs - You will need one to three paragraphs that explain the details surrounding your photograph. What events lead up to the picture? Your details should be interesting and logically connected. What evidence can you add to support your statements? Quotations?
Effective closing paragraph - End with a summary of your main idea.

Remember: a news article is different from an essay. Report on what actually was happening in your photograph. Be objective. Do not give the reader your personal opinions.

This looks like a basic, but quite effective way of writing a news article. Good luck!
0 Replies