Did Bush Lie Us into War?

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:50 pm
President George W. Bush has got a very serious problem. Before asking Congress for a Joint Resolution authorizing the use of American military forces in Iraq, he made a number of unequivocal statements about the reason the United States needed to pursue the most radical actions any nation can undertake -- acts of war against another nation.

Now it is clear that many of his statements appear to be false.

Did Bush Lie Us into War ?

President Bush's Statements On Iraq's Weapons Of Mass Destruction

Quote:
Bush's statements, in chronological order, were:

United Nations Address, Sept. 12, 2002:

"Right now, Iraq is expanding and improving facilities that were used for the production of biological weapons."

Radio Address, Oct. 5, 2002:

"Iraq has stockpiled biological and chemical weapons, and is rebuilding the facilities used to make more of those weapons."

"We have sources that tell us that Saddam Hussein recently authorized Iraqi field commanders to use chemical weapons -- the very weapons the dictator tells us he does not have."

Cincinnati, Ohio Speech, Oct. 7, 2002:

"The Iraqi regime... possesses and produces chemical and biological weapons. It is seeking nuclear weapons."

"We know that the regime has produced thousands of tons of chemical agents, including mustard gas, sarin nerve gas, VX nerve gas."

"We've also discovered through intelligence that Iraq has a growing fleet of manned and unmanned aerial vehicles that could be used to disperse chemical or biological weapons across broad areas. We're concerned that Iraq is exploring ways of using these UAVS for missions targeting the United States."

"The evidence indicates that Iraq is reconstituting its nuclear weapons program. Saddam Hussein has held numerous meetings with Iraqi nuclear scientists, a group he calls his "nuclear mujahideen" -- his nuclear holy warriors. Satellite photographs reveal that Iraq is rebuilding facilities at sites that have been part of its nuclear program in the past. Iraq has attempted to purchase high-strength aluminum tubes and other equipment needed for gas centrifuges, which are used to enrich uranium for nuclear weapons."

State of the Union Address, Jan. 28, 2003:

"Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard and VX nerve agent."

Address to the Nation, March 17, 2003:

"Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,714 • Replies: 37
No top replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:52 pm
mr bush did not lie

that implies an ability to understand truth
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 02:56 pm
Can someone post the ever growing list of quotes from other members of government backing up what Bush is quoted to have said above? I know it has been posted several times.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:01 pm
He told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Whether you like it or not, President Bush tells the truth. Unlike his immediate predecessor (Bill Clinton), President Bush is not capable of telling a lie. It is not in him. It is not in his nature. President Bush is an honest and honorable man and the constant attacks upon him are mainly from those seeking to abolish the United States and the world through self centeredness and immorality among other things.

Years from now, if the mealy mouths don't succeed in demolishing the world, President Bush will be remembered as one of the 10 greatest Presidents this nation has ever had. We are privileged to be alive in this day and age with this good man helping to keep our nation and our planet together. We should appreciate this great blessing.
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:16 pm
People could also vote on MSNBC, the results so far :

65980 responses

Yes
94%

No
6%

Do you believe President Bush misled the nation in order to go to war with Iraq?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:16 pm
Shocked you're playing devil's advocate, right Sturgis?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:17 pm
freedom4free wrote:

65980 responses

Yes
94%

No
6%

Do you believe President Bush misled the nation in order to go to war with Iraq?

How many times have you voted f4f?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:19 pm
J_B wrote:
freedom4free wrote:

65980 responses

Yes
94%

No
6%

I did try but its impossible to vote again, you try it Very Happy
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:24 pm
freedom4free wrote:
J_B wrote:

I did try but its impossible to vote again, you try it
Now why does that not surprise me?
0 Replies

freedom4free

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:41 pm
Sturgis wrote:
freedom4free wrote:
J_B wrote:

I did try but its impossible to vote again, you try it
Now why does that not surprise me?

To check if it was hack proof Confused

But i guess Bush's pet hackers will change that soon...

Just like the election results.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 03:48 pm
Oh, yeah right...to make sure it was hack proof...

For some reason I am not going for that story.

It's strange F4f that you complain about lies and indecency but were attempting to be part of such actions yourself. With deeds such as yours how can I take anything you say or do as being serious?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:08 pm
Sturgis wrote:
He told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. Whether you like it or not, President Bush tells the truth. Unlike his immediate predecessor (Bill Clinton), President Bush is not capable of telling a lie. It is not in him. It is not in his nature. President Bush is an honest and honorable man and the constant attacks upon him are mainly from those seeking to abolish the United States and the world through self centeredness and immorality among other things.

Years from now, if the mealy mouths don't succeed in demolishing the world, President Bush will be remembered as one of the 10 greatest Presidents this nation has ever had. We are privileged to be alive in this day and age with this good man helping to keep our nation and our planet together. We should appreciate this great blessing.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

You're a crackup. You should take that show on the road
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:09 pm
Who is to say that I haven't already done so?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:28 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Who is to say that I haven't already done so?

I think we would have seen the headlines.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:29 pm
I'm a tough act to get used to...
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:41 pm
Sturgis wrote:
I'm a tough act to get used to...

Very Happy

As long as it doesn't get personal and we ("we" being anyone here) don't take it personally then it's all interesting and enjoyable. When it gets personal there's no fun in it.

But we're a tough room :wink:
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:42 pm
I'll grow on ya...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:03 pm
Bush's legacy will be buried like a stinking pile of doody and forgotten.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:11 pm
Nixon's hasn't been.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 09:28 pm
Nixon was awful, but he was no Bush.
0 Replies