Are local elections local?

Mortkat

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 12:35 am
Again, the element of the ridiculous creeps in. On another thread, some have excoriated my positions when I mention Clinton because he is no longer president, as if there is an impermeable wall through which ideas and influences cannot pass thrown up on election day.
It is the same with elections. We are a large country whose citizens interact multiple times every day through travel and the internet. As Fedral mentioned, citizens are free to contribute to legislators even if they are not residing in the state of the legislator. George Soros wields a great deal of power and affects many many races since he gives millions to the Democrat Party.

That is the way it should be. We are not citizens of "Arizona" primarily but citizens of the United States of the United States of America.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:15 am
Mortkat wrote:
Again, the element of the ridiculous creeps in. On another thread, some have excoriated my positions when I mention Clinton because he is no longer president, as if there is an impermeable wall through which ideas and influences cannot pass thrown up on election day.
It is the same with elections. We are a large country whose citizens interact multiple times every day through travel and the internet. As Fedral mentioned, citizens are free to contribute to legislators even if they are not residing in the state of the legislator. George Soros wields a great deal of power and affects many many races since he gives millions to the Democrat Party.

That is the way it should be. We are not citizens of "Arizona" primarily but citizens of the United States of the United States of America.

I suppose that is the modern attitude. I think perhaps quite a few of the Founders of this nation may have considered themselves citizens of their state, first and foremost, and then also citizens of the United States.

Perhaps this is because without the sovereignty of each state being respected , then the states cannot be considered 'united' in a free will sense. If a small group of states is able to subject the greater number of states to their will, then those subjected states are no longer sovereign, but subservient.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 01:22 am
Fedral wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Is it possible that he might support legislation that you find favorable over the objections of a majority of his own constituents? Yep. Should said constituents be pissed? Yep.

No, because if his platform is public (The only way I'd know whether or not I would send him a check, the only people who will decide if he is elected are the people in his District.

They decide if he is elected, not me ... thats their control.

If a pre-emptive strike can keep a candidate from running a viable candidacy, then he won't be on the ballot for the locals to vote for come election day.

There is no denying that the money that is raised early to a large extent determines if a candidate will be able to run a viable campaign, and if he will gain support of the party. If that money is from out of state then the process is removed from local control long before it is time to cast ballots.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:03 am
Fedral wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
Is it possible that he might support legislation that you find favorable over the objections of a majority of his own constituents? Yep. Should said constituents be pissed? Yep.

No, because if his platform is public (The only way I'd know whether or not I would send him a check, the only people who will decide if he is elected are the people in his District.

If money doesn't enhance his chances of winning, then why give? Or are you suggesting that campaign promises actually mean something and that candidates are always honest about what they will do when/if elected.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:08 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Fedral wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:

If money doesn't enhance his chances of winning, then why give? Or are you suggesting that campaign promises actually mean something and that candidates are always honest about what they will do when/if elected.

It DOES enhance his chances to win, but the FINAL DECISION is in the hands of the people of his District. They pull the lever to elect the person to represent them. No amount of money can make those levers go down by themselves (Unless you are in Chicago Laughing )
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 23 Nov, 2005 08:13 am
I refer you to the above post by real life. If you get to decide what my choices are, how much control do I really have?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:22 am
FreeDuck wrote:
I refer you to the above post by real life. If you get to decide what my choices are, how much control do I really have?

You got the picture, FreeDuck. The money comes into play early in the game and by election day, it's often down to two bad choices.

I think many people instinctively know this and they just don't vote as a result.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 26 Nov, 2005 12:24 am
Hence my original question of who is qualified to vote.

It seems futile to vote in the States. Your vote doesn't exactly seem like a real vote.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:34 am
Hi Flushd,

Well it is not exactly futile, but I think that the current loophole which allows elections to be manipulated by folks who cannot legally vote in them makes it a lot harder to get an outcome that can reasonably described as 'the will of the people' i.e the constituents of that district.

Is the same true in Canada? Can you as a resident of Winnipeg financially support the candidacy of someone running for office in Nova Scotia or Ottawa? Or just how do election campaigns work there? (I confess my total ignorance, to the surprise of nobody.) Are they publicly funded?
0 Replies