Mother Nature: Woman of the Year?

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:21 pm
Yeah, Noddy, I'm familiar with the notion that the Earth itself might be, in some meaningful sense, a living organism. But I strongly doubt that that's what the Time editors or anyone on this forum really have in mind when they speak metaphorically of 'Mother Nature.'
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:44 pm
Merry Andrew--

I like the Gaia notion myself, but you're right that Mother Nature in her folksy glory is the being under consideration for Man/Woman of the Year.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:34 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
Merry Andrew--

I like the Gaia notion myself, but you're right that Mother Nature in her folksy glory is the being under consideration for Man/Woman of the Year.

I'm kind of intrigued by that notion also, Noddy. But you realize, of course, that if we take it seriously, then mankind becomes nothing more than a parasytic infestation with which Ma Gaea is trying to deal. In this view, then, the natural disasters which befall us are nothing more than Mother Nature holding her dominion, sort of like you or I using anti-bacterial shampoo to get rid of head-lice. Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 06:38 pm
Merry Andrew--

Head lice? I'd rather think that some members of the human race resemble cancer cells--and some don't.
0 Replies