US Customs harrasses innocent people

Sturgis

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:11 pm
Actually E.M. it is a waste even trying to communicate with you. You are consistently rude and change the facts as your fancy suits you. Initially you posted about crossing the border for "WELL OVER A DECADE" and when it was called into the light you redefined it to having it be in the past. If you had stated this at the start it would have eliminated part of the confusion. Anyone can change the timeline as their mood suits them as you have proven, I am sincerely curious though as to why you insist on doing so.

I would go on and highlight other problems of your posts but why bother since you clearly feel yourself to be better than the rest of the world. Rest assured, you are not. We are all equal whether you like it or not.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:17 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I read the article and gave the attention it deserved.

Which means what?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:24 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Actually E.M. it is a waste even trying to communicate with you. You are consistently rude and change the facts as your fancy suits you. Initially you posted about crossing the border for "WELL OVER A DECADE" and when it was called into the light you redefined it to having it be in the past. If you had stated this at the start it would have eliminated part of the confusion. Anyone can change the timeline as their mood suits them as you have proven, I am sincerely curious though as to why you insist on doing so.

I would go on and highlight other problems of your posts but why bother since you clearly feel yourself to be better than the rest of the world. Rest assured, you are not. We are all equal whether you like it or not.

Sturgis, polish your looking glass a bit. Listen up:
When someone says "I did this or that so many years ago" does that imply they are STILL doing that? I never said I am currently crossing the border; you won't find a post that says that because there isn't one. I said "I HAVE". Now, when I was in school, I HAVE meant something said or done in the past. "I AM" is something current. Case closed.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:29 pm
Whatever works for you. Similar to someone else, I will not respond to anything you post ever again. Soon you will have dozens of threads where you will be all alone. Is that what you want? Apparently it is. A Forum where yours is the only voice...interesting concept.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 03:36 pm
Whatever you say. I might cry if I don't get posts from you. How cruel.

Rather, we should have threads where only you can postulate your worldly opinions, eh?

Guess you are stuck inside because of all that snow in Vermont. Must be dreadful. Just you and the computer.......

Signing off to go outside and play. The weather is particularly nice today. Have fun shovelling or whatever you do!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:03 pm
You are really discrediting yourself englishmajor

Quote:
Through these gates, more than 398 million people, 128 million cars, and 11 million trucks entered the United States last year.

http://cfrterrorism.org/security/borders_print.html

Out of these 398 million people, you are telling us of
one couple having problems which were actually caused
due to their ignorance of the US custom laws.

Since you could not provide a reputable source for the
complaint the older couple had (hear say), but I nevertheless would like to believe your story is true,
than it still would leave 396 million people with a rather
satisfactory border crossing.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:51 pm
customs pfficers are not much different fromother people ... they have good days and bad days.
living in eastern ontario, we are only about 30 minutes from the border via the 1000 island bridge and frequently cross into new york state for the day - or we might go to myrtle beach for a month.
most of the time we just wave our passport and say "going shopping in watertown" and we are on the way; usually with the reply : "enjoy your shopping". coming back the procedure is usually just as quick, unless we've been away for less than a day and have done some "power shopping"- in that case we'have to pay a 15% sales tax. taxes are hardly charged on any incoming goods at all .
on more than one occasion we've had some friendly chats with both u.s. and canadian customs officials - the u.s. border officials sometimes want to talk about germany when they see our birthplace on our passports, the canadians want to find out where the bargains are in watertown.
our motto is : they've got a job to do, if we are friendly to them, they'll usually respond the same way. hbg

ps. on more than one occasion we've been waived right through when entering the u.s., while cars with u.s. license plates were scrutinized much more thoroughly.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:40 pm
Sturgis wrote:

Laughing However, let's start at the beginning: Americans feel they are better than anyone else on the planet. Rest assured, you are not. Because of that general attitude, 9/11 happened. Consequently that put amerikans on full alert. Thus, all of us must endure being searched, questioned, harrassed, badgered. All because Amerika thinks it is special.

Yes, we are all equal. That includes Iraqis, doesn't it?

I just listened to Democracy Now radio broadcast. An American soldier was describing how he had to search through bodies that had been lying in streets in Fallujah for days. Most were not identifiable because of decay, dogs, maggots, etc. He seached through about 500 dead bodies to find ID's. They had no orders as to what to do with the dead, so they were piled in a warehouse. When asked how many were insurgents, he said about half. He said most did not have any weapons on them. A lot were women and children. Keep that picture in your mind tonight, Amerikans, of a child with its eyes pecked out by birds, his/her arms/legs shot off. You don't see the pictures, so it's not real. You don't hear the reports, so you can shut it out of your minds. Do you not wonder that Amerika is fighting terrorism with terrorism? This soldier said that we cannot win the war this way. He does not believe torture works; he said nothing was gained by torturing any prisoners. Only more hatred for Amerikans.

So next time you accuse someone of thinking they are better than someone else, best you look in the mirror at yourself. The Iraqis are equal (better, perhaps) than you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:17 am
englishmajor wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

Laughing However, let's start at the beginning: Americans feel they are better than anyone else on the planet. Rest assured, you are not. Because of that general attitude, 9/11 happened. Consequently that put amerikans on full alert. Thus, all of us must endure being searched, questioned, harrassed, badgered. All because Amerika thinks it is special.

I just listened to Democracy Now radio broadcast. An American soldier was describing how he had to search through bodies that had been lying in streets in Fallujah for days. Most were not identifiable because of decay, dogs, maggots, etc. He seached through about 500 dead bodies to find ID's. They had no orders as to what to do with the dead, so they were piled in a warehouse. When asked how many were insurgents, he said about half. He said most did not have any weapons on them. A lot were women and children. Keep that picture in your mind tonight, Amerikans, of a child with its eyes pecked out by birds, his/her arms/legs shot off. You don't see the pictures, so it's not real. You don't hear the reports, so you can shut it out of your minds. Do you not wonder that Amerika is fighting terrorism with terrorism? This soldier said that we cannot win the war this way. He does not believe torture works; he said nothing was gained by torturing any prisoners. Only more hatred for Amerikans.

So next time you accuse someone of thinking they are better than someone else, best you look in the mirror at yourself. The Iraqis are equal (better, perhaps) than you.

Canadians should never try to act superior. It just isn't natural. Especially fake Canadians.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 01:29 pm
I think it is a vast improvement that one don't have
to go through Ellis Island any longer.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:06 pm
Yes, we (Americans and Canadians) are a nation of immigrants, aren't we, McGen and Calamity? Your origins were elsewhere as well.

Sorry, Calamity, that Ellis Island was such a drag for you. It must have been horrible when you finally got out of steerage, eh?

Mc, you just don't get it, do you? I'd rather be a fake Canuck than a stupid American.

Actually, since I have relatives here I have some history with Canada and some Canucky blood in my veins.

Anything is better than being a Yankee....how did Scarlett put it? "Damn Yankees"......
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:07 pm
McGentrix wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

Canadians should never try to act superior. It just isn't natural. Especially fake Canadians.

Aw, gee, McGee, is that the best reply you can come up with to what I wrote about TORTURE? In denial, are we? :wink:
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 09:55 pm
Quote:
Had you been going through the border every 6 months for 30 years as they have, perhaps you'd see the silliness of US Customs procedures, the undue harrassment of people who spend 6 months out of the wonderful USA, the cheesy way they go through everything (but miss the guy with the cocaine stash). About as effectual as Homeland Sec.

I have been doing it every week for 18 years,and have experienced both US and Canadian customs searches.
I dont find either of them to be to much of a hassle,but they are a little silly.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:30 am
I haven't had any unfair problems so far. However, I would suspect if I was travelling back and forth between two homes in two different countries (canada and the USA) that I would occassionally come across a guard who fussy.
If and when I see a serious problem, you can be sure I will say something about it. As of now it is merely an inconvience.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:15 am
As a matter of fact, the main difference I've noticed between American and Canadian Customs officials in my admittedly infrequent travels north is that Canadian officials don't tend to smile half as often as the Americans. Americans are jolly, Canadians more dour. That's just a generalization, I know, but there it is.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:58 pm
guess it depends on which day you go through. I have found just the opposite. The Canucks will even joke with us. They do think the whole 'homeland security' high alert/terrorist thing to be a bit overblown & silly. I won't quote the Canuck border guard who said that for obvious reasons.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:29 am
That last post about Canadians' thoughts on the alert system reminded me of this hilarious email I recently received Smile

HEIGHTENED SECURITY

The British are feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorised from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the great fire of 1666.

Also, the French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

It's not only the English and French that are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "shout loudly and excitedly" to "elaborate military posturing". Two more levels remain, "ineffective combat operations" and "change sides".

The Germans also increased their alert state from "disdainful arrogance" to "dress in uniform and sing marching songs". They also have two higher levels: "invade a neighbour" and "lose".

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual and the only threat they worry about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 11:56 am
JustWonders wrote:
That last post about Canadians' thoughts on the alert system reminded me of this hilarious email I recently received Smile

HEIGHTENED SECURITY

The British are feeling the pinch in relation to recent bombings and have raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved." Soon though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross." Londoners have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940 when tea supplies all but ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorised from "Tiresome" to a "Bloody Nuisance." The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was during the great fire of 1666.

Also, the French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Surrender" and "Collaborate." The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralysing the country's military capability.

It's not only the English and French that are on a heightened level of alert. Italy has increased the alert level from "shout loudly and excitedly" to "elaborate military posturing". Two more levels remain, "ineffective combat operations" and "change sides".

The Germans also increased their alert state from "disdainful arrogance" to "dress in uniform and sing marching songs". They also have two higher levels: "invade a neighbour" and "lose".

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual and the only threat they worry about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 01:12 pm
That was actually funny!

Very Happy
0 Replies