US Customs harrasses innocent people

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:55 am
This is a story I cut and pasted from my emails. They are Americans, but would like to be Canadians. The couple are in their 70's and are sweet old people. They have been coming to Canada (have a home here as well) for over 30 years. This is what the Americans do to harmless people, while letting the real crooks (and we know who they are) get away. This is shameful. Sad If any of you ever have the 'pleasure' of going through an American Customs Center don't expect to be treated like a human being. Throwing out dog food??? How weird. However, the Canadian side is much better, we have noticed. Much less fear and paranoia. They treat you like a human! Here is their story, which they do not know I have posted here:

Spent first night in N.Van. and got to border
about noon. Guard asked if we had dog food in car. I
said we brought some in cookie bags to use up on trip.
He sent us aside and customs officer asked where dog
food located in car, asked us to sit down and went out
to get it. After 10 minutes of waiting, I got up and
looked out -- They were going through everything and
untying the top (which had taken Bernie 2 hrs -twice-
to pack.
I was in tears (cat hiding under seat and they had
doors open), Bernie said to take the dam dog food-he
wanted to "punch someone", so they called the chief
who said we would be arrested if we did not let them
"do their job." The excuse was unmarked beef products
and Mad Cow imports from Canada.
They returned a can of cat food (made in Taiwan)
and the dog milk bones (made in US} but kept cookie
bags & Canadian canned Friskies and one untagged
tangerine, even though I offered to eat it right
there.

Something is very wrong here when old people are treated this way. What is WRONG with America? Have you all gone mad? You call this freedom? From what? Mad dog food disease?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,509 • Replies: 38
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:19 pm
It's really very hard from that semi-literate description of the event to understand what, exactly, happened. With mad cow disease, the bird flu and everything else that's occupying the minds of border guards and customs agents these days, there may well be a perfectly logical explanation. Your friends don't sound as though they really understood what the Customs people were doing or what they were looking for. Mind you, I'm not necessarily defending the US Customs. I'm just wondering what the full story here is.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:24 pm
It is very clearly marked on both sides of the border what food <and other> products MUST be declared.

Canadian customs officers are no less diligent than U.S. officers on this issue. I've been asked about dog food <on both sides> nearly every time I've travelled back and forth with my fur friends over the past five years. Nothing unusual about it.

As much as Americans don't want diseases from Canada, we don't want our plants or animals to become diseased as a result of something a tourist brings to Canada from the U.S.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:28 pm
Good statement ehBeth!
I was checked more thorough on the agricultural border
between Arizona and California than I ever was re-entering
the US from Europe or Asia.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:37 pm
i don't think it has anything to do with customs and immigration, but food inspection.
coming back to canada from europe, the custom's form always asks if "meat" products are being brought into canada. the reason : trying to keep hoof and mouth disease out of canada - it still exists in certain areas of europe. sometimes people try to sneak salamis or smoked hams back into the country. there are now dogs trained to sniff out meat products. hbg
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:48 pm
Laughing Somehow, I don't think that any special training is necessary for dogs to sniff out meat products. Laughing
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 08:59 pm
people bringing in salamis etc. don't usually carry them in their hand -but have become quite resourceful at concealing them. hbg

(i don't really know why they are so interested to bring the stuff back to canada, but that's another question)
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 11:23 pm
Ok. Try, try again.

These people are in their late 70's, early 80's. To make them tearful and upset over a bag of dog food, for chrissakes, is to say the least, ridiculous.

I quoted their letter to me verbatim. They are quite literate, just getting old. Thanks for your understanding. Let's see where you're at, at that age. They are both college grads, not that I need to prove their verisimilitude.

Had you been going through the border every 6 months for 30 years as they have, perhaps you'd see the silliness of US Customs procedures, the undue harrassment of people who spend 6 months out of the wonderful USA, the cheesy way they go through everything (but miss the guy with the cocaine stash). About as effectual as Homeland Sec.

I have gone through both US and Canadian Customs for well over a decade. The Canadians are, at least, human beings with a sense of humour. US Customs act like they are apprehending bin Laden. They have a real attitude problem. The idiots actually tried to make me throw out a $70 bag of dog food, until I pointed out (they can't read, illiterate types you know) that the main ingredient was TURKEY. Now, turkey they can identify with.....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:41 am
Do you know if this incident is representative or an anomaly? Do you care? I went through custums coming back from Europe a few days ago, and they took my word for what I had instantly without looking in my suitcase. They were very friendly. I know you're eager to find anything you can wrong with the US, but your article proves nothing unless you can make a case that it's a common occurrence.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:24 am
Englishmajor has an animus against the US, Brandon. I, too, have never had any unpleasant experiences with US Customs, either returning from Europe or crossing the borders of Canada or Mexico. I must quickly add that I haven't left the country since Customs was, effectively, abolished and placed under Homeland Security control. Things may have changed in recent years.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:26 am
englishmajor wrote:
These people are in their late 70's, early 80's. To make them tearful and upset over a bag of dog food, for chrissakes, is to say the least, ridiculous.

...They are quite literate, just getting old. ... Let's see where you're at, at that age. They are both college grads, not that I need to prove their verisimilitude.

Had you been going through the border every 6 months for 30 years as they have, perhaps you'd see the silliness of US Customs procedures, the undue harrassment of people who spend 6 months out of the wonderful USA, the cheesy way they go through everything (but miss the guy with the cocaine stash). About as effectual as Homeland Sec.

I have gone through both US and Canadian Customs for well over a decade. The Canadians are, at least, human beings with a sense of humour. US Customs act like they are apprehending bin Laden. They have a real attitude problem. The idiots actually tried to make me throw out a $70 bag of dog food, until I pointed out (they can't read, illiterate types you know) that the main ingredient was TURKEY. Now, turkey they can identify with.....

Let me help you out here. First off you are quite ignorant. Yes, I am referring to you as ignorant. Along with this you are rather dimwitted. Let me explain this carefully for you so you don't miss any thing.

The fact is a person...any person...can be a terrorist or a transporter of deadly chemicals or anything else. Age does not eliminate criminal activity and neither does frequent border crossing.

Next up your attitude towards elderly people. You speak of them as doddering old fools who are merely a step or two from the grave and barely above the level of the customs agents (people who I can tell you hold in your heart with the highest regard Rolling Eyes ). Elderly people commit robbery, murder, treason etc. on a regular basis and should not be held exempt from the same laws which apply to everyone else.

Interesting matter in how you relate their story and indicate that you 'cut and pasted' from e-mails. This means you may well be leaving out vast parts of the story. Perhaps where she slammed her foot on the gas pedal and headed towards a guard or where he (the husband) waved a sword in the air while chanting. Further are they aware that you have decided to share their e-mail messages with the world? This might not bode well for you.

Last up, if this couple is so Hell-bent on vacating the U.S. and have a home in Canada then why are they constantly going back and forth? According to you they despise the U.S.A. According to you, you despise the U.S.A. Why are any of you crossing into the U.S.A.?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 07:39 am
I have actually had a harder time from the Canadian customs officers than the US, which was slightly disconcerting since I live in the US. Several times, we practically handed a piece of paper and tested to get into Windsor but on the way back, the dude looked at us like "yeah yeah go ahead".
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:09 pm
Sturgis wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

...They are quite literate, just getting old. ... Let's see where you're at, at that age. They are both college grads, not that I need to prove their verisimilitude.

Let me help you out here. First off you are quite ignorant. Yes, I am referring to you as ignorant. Along with this you are rather dimwitted. Let me explain this carefully for you so you don't miss any thing.

The fact is a person...any person...can be a terrorist or a transporter of deadly chemicals or anything else. Age does not eliminate criminal activity and neither does frequent border crossing.

Next up your attitude towards elderly people. You speak of them as doddering old fools who are merely a step or two from the grave and barely above the level of the customs agents (people who I can tell you hold in your heart with the highest regard Rolling Eyes ). Elderly people commit robbery, murder, treason etc. on a regular basis and should not be held exempt from the same laws which apply to everyone else.

Interesting matter in how you relate their story and indicate that you 'cut and pasted' from e-mails. This means you may well be leaving out vast parts of the story. Perhaps where she slammed her foot on the gas pedal and headed towards a guard or where he (the husband) waved a sword in the air while chanting. Further are they aware that you have decided to share their e-mail messages with the world? This might not bode well for you.

Last up, if this couple is so Hell-bent on vacating the U.S. and have a home in Canada then why are they constantly going back and forth? According to you they despise the U.S.A. According to you, you despise the U.S.A. Why are any of you crossing into the U.S.A.?
h

How many border crossings have you done, Sherlock? Before you start calling me names, best YOU get the facts straight. You are another clueless American!

The US is paranoid. Supposedly they have updated their computers at border crossings and have license plate numbers they can cross reference with other records. Wondrous Big Brother -AKA Homeland Security has made it foolproof, havent' they? for terrorists to access the US. Isn't that why you feel SO much safer in the land of the brave?

The point being: since these folks go back and forth every 6 months you would think the idiots at the border (US) would have their license plate number, blood type - in short, a whole dossier. Now, stay with me here, and you'll get the reason they cross the border.

I edited the email because the other portions were personal (none of your business) and had nothing to do with their experience at the border. I left nothing out concerning that. Your paranoid assumption that I edited out parts where 'maybe she hit the gas pedal' is so very typical & ludicrous of the American paranoia. Your type are one of the reasons I am happily living in the last frontier.

The border dudes, I believe, are unhappy because they don't qualify for duty in Iraq so they take out their aggressions on innocent travellers. Or maybe they are just born with a bad attitude Laughing

Are you following so far? Keeping up? I am trying to go as slowly as possible.

I was not excusing them for their age. Of course, it's well known that doddering old fools with canes regularly infiltrate the US. Geezus. More of that American paranoia! No wonder your country sells more prescription drugs for anxiety than any other country.

Since you obviously do not know the immigration policy of Canada, being a dingbat, I will try to s l o w l y explain:

An American CANNOT stay in Canada longer than 6 months (thank god-come and spend you $$ and then leave!) if they are not PERMANENT RESIDENTS. Americans can stay on a visitor visa for 6 months. Period. Following so far? Permanent Res is difficult to obtain and requires going through immigration process for several years. After two years, a PR can then apply for Canadian citizenship. Get it now? Since laws have toughened up, these older folks do not want to, nor can they, immigrate at their ages. Their children most likely will.

As for me, Sherlock, I do not cross the border as I am a PR (Permanent Resident-soon to be full Canadian citizen). I can, and do, stay in Canada for as long as I wish and have absolutely no desire to go to America. Whatever for? So, your last comment 'why are any of you crossing the border' MR DIMWIT, should be answered. Look up Immigration laws next time before you open your pie hole.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:16 pm
I would hope the border guards give equal treatment to all people crossing the border. Old people are not immune from being searched at border crossings.

I have been scrutinized on numerous border crossings to Canada.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:35 pm
Hmmm... name calling. lack of respect and courtsey.... just proves who the dimwit here is.....and it ain't sturgis.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:37 pm
englishmajor wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

I have gone through both US and Canadian Customs for well over a decade. .... US Customs act like they are apprehending bin Laden. They have a real attitude problem. The idiots actually tried to make me throw out a $70 bag of dog food, until I pointed out (they can't read, illiterate types you know) that the main ingredient was TURKEY. Now, turkey they can identify with.....

According to you, you despise the U.S.A. Why are any of you crossing into the U.S.A.?
h

How many border crossings have you done, Sherlock? Before you start calling me names, best YOU get the facts straight. You are another clueless American! The US is paranoid. Supposedly they have updated their computers at border crossings and have license plate numbers they can cross reference with other records. Wondrous Big Brother -AKA Homeland Security has made it foolproof, havent' they? for terrorists to access the US. Isn't that why you feel SO much safer in the land of the brave?

The point being: since these folks go back and forth every 6 months you would think the idiots at the border (US) qualify for duty in Iraq so they take out their aggressions on innocent travellers.

Since you obviously do not know the immigration policy of Canada, being a dingbat, I will try to s l o w l y explain:

As for me, Sherlock, I do not cross the border as I am a PR (Permanent Resident-soon to be full Canadian citizen). I can, and do, stay in Canada for as long as I wish and have absolutely no desire to go to America. Whatever for? So, your last comment 'why are any of you crossing the border' MR DIMWIT, should be answered. Look up Immigration laws next time before you open your pie hole.

First off my name is not Sherlock, it is Sturgis. My name is not Dingbat, it is Sturgis. My goodness but you certainly do take the cake at re-defining name calling and I suppose justifying it when it comes from you.

Next up: As is shown in your earlier post you yourself say that you cross the border. Now you wish to change that tune?

As to me I have crossed the border numerous times over the years, I feel Canada is a lovely country...to visit, I am not looking to set up home there as I love my own country. I have been stopped, questioned and detained by officials on both sides and I do not fight it nor do I throw a hissy fit over it. It is being done for the best reasons...safety and security.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:38 pm
Didn't say old people should be immune anywhere in my post, now did I? I did say they choose strange things to scrutinize. Dog food? Yeah, that could be a REAL terror threat, all right. Gotta watch that dog food. I mean, a person might eat it, and get BSE!! Funny, the dog food initially came from the US.....so, go figure. Course y'all ain't got no BSE down there, just BS.

Of course, America knows (hehe) that Canada harbors all kinds of terrorists!! My God, this is SUCH a dangerous country! Why, just the other day a person was hit by a pumpkin someone threw at them from a car......the horrid things that go on here, I just can't tell ya.

Since you are so dedicated to preserving America, (I assume from your avatar) I invite you to read the article I posted regarding the US becoming a totalitarian gov. I'd be interested in seeing what you think. And then contact your Congressman ASAP.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:42 pm
I read the article and gave the attention it deserved.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:50 pm
Sturgis wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
Sturgis wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

I have gone through both US and Canadian Customs for well over a decade. .... US Customs act like they are apprehending bin Laden. They have a real attitude problem. The idiots actually tried to make me throw out a $70 bag of dog food, until I pointed out (they can't read, illiterate types you know) that the main ingredient was TURKEY. Now, turkey they can identify with.....

According to you, you despise the U.S.A. Why are any of you crossing into the U.S.A.?
h

How many border crossings have you done, Sherlock? Before you start calling me names, best YOU get the facts straight. You are another clueless American! The US is paranoid. Supposedly they have updated their computers at border crossings and have license plate numbers they can cross reference with other records. Wondrous Big Brother -AKA Homeland Security has made it foolproof, havent' they? for terrorists to access the US. Isn't that why you feel SO much safer in the land of the brave?

The point being: since these folks go back and forth every 6 months you would think the idiots at the border (US) qualify for duty in Iraq so they take out their aggressions on innocent travellers.

First off my name is not Sherlock, it is Sturgis. My name is not Dingbat, it is Sturgis. My goodness but you certainly do take the cake at re-defining name calling and I suppose justifying it when it comes from you.

Next up: As is shown in your earlier post you yourself say that you cross the border. Now you wish to change that tune?

As to me I have crossed the border numerous times over the years, I feel Canada is a lovely country...to visit, I am not looking to set up home there as I love my own country. I have been stopped, questioned and detained by officials on both sides and I do not fight it nor do I throw a hissy fit over it. It is being done for the best reasons...safety and security.

Yeah and MY name is not DIMWIT. You were the first to begin the name calling. Re read your post. All's fair.......

Oh, DO forgive! I must get my specks. Your avatar looks just like Sherlock! I assumed you had investigative skills to match. Wrong again.

Changing my tune? When was that?

My history is really none of your business, now is it? I said we USED to cross the border before we became PR. Have managed to avoid playing the border game for well over 2 yrs now. Why it took us 10 years is something I don't believe I have to get into with you. Very Happy You'll have to show me a post where I have said I recently crossed the border. Since I haven't I can't imagine saying that. Cool

You say it's all for safety and security? Well, dang, I have not noticed anything (last I crossed the border) has changed. Some guards rake you over the coals, others don't ask questions they should ask. It's all dependent upon human error/judgement. Does that make you feel safe? If someone wants to blow something up, or take drugs across the border, they will. The drug trafficking business is very healthy on both sides (I think some border guards get a little bonus by looking the other way eh?)

Glad you learned something about immigration processes and why Americans who are not PR's can't stay more than 6 months. Or did you?
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 02:55 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Hmmm... name calling. lack of respect and courtsey.... just proves who the dimwit here is.....and it ain't sturgis.

Goes both ways. Since Sherlock, I mean Sturgis, began it, I continued it. Respect and courtesy is a two way street. Razz know what I mean? I can give as good as I get. :wink:
0 Replies