ALT levels?

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
After not seeing a doctor for 4 years, I recently went in for a physical.

Afterwards, they called me to say that I have minimally elevated ALT levels. They said this is normal, however, and that I should just come in again in a month.

After researching this (I had never heard of "ALT"), I learned that alcohol, medication, viral hepatitis, and strenuous exercise are associated with high levels of ALT.

I don't drink, I am not taking medication, and I don't have viral hepatitis, but I run 5 miles and lift weights everyday; still, I have never felt burnt out. Do professional athelets tend to have problems with their ALT (since I'm sure they put their bodies through a lot more than I do)?

Anyway, if you'd like to share your thoughts (how to reduce ALT levels, maybe there is another factor I am overlooking, etc.), I'd like to hear them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 938 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 03:34 pm
How "elevated" was it? There is a marginal of error or fluke.

You can't do anything, as far as I know, to reduce the number of enzymes your liver produces, except take medicine if you have a problem. If your doctor does not order another test in a few months, demand it. Just to be sure. Caught early, many things are easily treated.
0 Replies

Kristoffer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 12:35 am
I'm not sure how elevated; the nurse called me and just said "minimally elevated," so whatever that means. She said that this is normal and nothing to worry about....but that they want me to come in again in month.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:34 am
As you've determined, ALT levels are an indicator of liver health but they aren't the only indicator and they don't always indicate liver disease. Elevated ALT, particularly minimally elevated ALT, in the absense of other elevated enzymes is very often due to exercise and is formed during the muscle injury/repair cycle. The fact that you are a runner and lift weights would indicate a liklihood of an elevated ALT. I'm assuming a full chemistry profile was done which would also have included a bilirubin and possibly other liver enzymes such as AST and alkaline phosphatase. The fact that you have no known risk factors for liver disease and no indication that your chemistry profile indicates true liver disease should ease your thoughts.

Follow up with another test as requested to make sure no other markers are showing up, but don't worry too much about a stand-alone, minimally elevated ALT in an athlete. And, don't stop working out to avoid having an elevated ALT. It's a normal by-product of muscle building.
0 Replies

Kristoffer

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 11:04 am
Thank you J_B for the intelligent post; that is the reason I come here, to learn from people like you.

Looks like there's probably no need for alarm, but I'll go back anyway in a month.
0 Replies