Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:08 am
No problem ......what time should I arrive?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:08 am
Ellpus, that beef over onions on tray thing sounds really good...
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:12 am
Piffka wrote:
There are no official Thanksgiving Dinners in the UK?

I am jumping the gun, Lord E. with this thread. There are almost two weeks 'til Thanksgiving; also known as Turkey Day, T-day is on November 24th. Since I'll be gone then and busy next weekend, I decided to cook a turkey tonight.

We were comparing turkey-cooking notes with our friends and they said when they cook their turkey, their 'secret' is to cook the turkey atop sliced pears. The pears cook down and become part of the gravy which sounds tasty... as does the onion with beef. Very savory. You Brits are specially good at cooking beef, I think.

No, Piff...we don't have thanksgiving over here......instead, we extend the Xmas period so that it lasts from mid November, through to January 5th.

Then everyone goes on a six week diet, so that they can slim down enough to pig out properly at Easter.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:14 am
panzade wrote:
Wonderful to see your seasonal column Piff. I remember last years gave me a lot of ideas. Alas, we decided to take a break this year and we're going to our guitar players ranch for a feast with about 35 others. I know there's 2 deep fried turkeys and a traditional one and there's wild Florida Boar on the spit. We'll make a few side dishes and relax this year.

Hi Panzade! Thanks for the kind words. We've had deep-fried turkeys in the past... they're good! The only problem with them to my way of thinking is there is no place to cook the stuffing. Gads, I sound like a pig but I do love stuffing. Speaking of pigs... wild Florida Boar on the spit??? Yee-haw, that sounds like a fantastic BBQ.

I hope you're getting back to normal after the hurricane.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:16 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
instead, we extend the Xmas period so that it lasts from mid November, through to January 5th.

Then everyone goes on a six week diet, so that they can slim down enough to pig out properly at Easter.

I understand the pigging out part... it all sounds good to me. So, you've got about a week before the silly season starts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:18 am
Friend Richard's roast turkey link

I think this is an older turkey recipe, before the newish trend of brining or frying (not that those were entirely new, but as news...)

There are some associated recipes at the bottom of the link page. The pannetone one interests me, if not for serving with turkey, maybe some other time. Not sure I understand the yam thing...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:21 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
No, Piff...we don't have thanksgiving over here......

In sme British parishes they celebrate - like elsewhere in Europe - a "Harvest Thanksgiving" on a Sunday in late September or early October (German Catholics do it the first Sunday in October).
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:22 am
So.......if most of you have turkey for thanksgiving, what do you eat on Xmas day?

Xmas day without turkey? OUTRAGEOUS!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:23 am
Piffka wrote:
panzade wrote:
I hope you're getting back to normal after the hurricane.

Kind of you to ask. Wilma has me installing shingles and soffit right now. It never ends.
The indoor work has turned to the living room where we stripped it and I'm laying laminate flooring...oh joy.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:25 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
So.......if most of you have turkey for thanksgiving, what do you eat on Xmas day?!

Perhaps you don't notice my posts :wink:
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
No, Piff...we don't have thanksgiving over here......

In sme British parishes they celebrate - like elsewhere in Europe - a "Harvest Thanksgiving" on a Sunday in late September or early October (German Catholics do it the first Sunday in October).

Walter, that usually consists of school kids taking a tin of food, or a cake to school and donating it, to be passed on to either the local elderly, or homeless people.

The Churches here have a harvest thanksgiving ceremony but, seeing as only about 5% of the population actually GOES to church, the whole thing passes by without too much hoo-ha.

We certainly don't sit down to a specific "celebratory" meal. In actual fact, the only time I get to know about thanksgiving, is by watching that episode of "Friends", which they tend to play at this time of year.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:32 am
My cousins, one family or the other of which we used to visit each year on C. eve, always served baked ham, and sandwich fixings... then we drove freeways home. Up again early C day to get on freeway for a hundred miles to my inlaws, dagnabthem. They made chicken and dumplings, or pot roast, lime jello with mustard and mayo...
don't mean to make fun, hard to shut up. (Hard for them to get to our house.)

Marriage sometimes means not getting your own turkey until a few days later...

So, does free range have better flavor or not?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:32 am
panzade wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:
So.......if most of you have turkey for thanksgiving, what do you eat on Xmas day?!

Perhaps you don't notice my posts :wink:

OOPS! I was busy making my toast at the time.

It is a beautiful clear morning here, as I type. The first frost of the year.

Bloody freezing. MARVELLOUS!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:37 am
ossobuco wrote:

......So, does free range have better flavor or not?

I would definitely say yes to that.

It's also nice to know that the turkey had at least a couple of months of happy gobbling, before the van arrived.

Free range are so damned expensive over here! We paid getting on £40 for an average sized one last year.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:40 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Free range are so damned expensive over here! We paid getting on £40 for an average sized one last year.

Last time I was in the UK there wasn't a lot of free range left.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:44 am
All the "natural" stuff is back with a bang, since foot and mouth etc.

Free range and/or organic is by far the best choice.....if one can afford it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:45 am
Really? egads.

I am going to miss certain things when I move to New Mexico... I think they don't have the fantastic variety of organic fruits and vegies and free range everything sans hormones, antibios, yadayada that we are privy to around here. Not to mention fresh wild salmon, now out of season, but fresh dungeness crab season is coming right up. All at - if not cheap prices, within reach if you don't eat grassfed beef or Rosie's chicken every single day of the week but make it a treat.

On the other hand, I will probably lose the asthma from the fog.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:47 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:

That's true .... only due to bird flu precausions (and by law), all free range birds are now kept indoors (or at least should be kept indoors), here.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:55 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Lord Ellpus wrote:

That's true .... only due to bird flu precausions (and by law), all free range birds are now kept indoors (or at least should be kept indoors), here.

But they make such a mess in the lounge.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:58 am
That's what cats are for... warding off turkeys from carpets..
0 Replies