what is the meaning of life?

PumpkinHead

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:22 am
Dux wrote:
Btw, part of the characteristics of the huamns it's the desire of naming everything & measuring everything, from a book to the lenght if a sound wave. If we can meausre that, why not measure the importance of life & it's meaning?

Personally i think the desire to measure and name comes down to two deeper motives: 1) for security (make known, make predictable, make manipulable - i.e., the natural and social world), and 2) an expression of creativity.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:22 am
I need no excuse for a rant . . . LOL . . . those here who know me understand that well enough. Yes, i'm reading posts, and what i read is that people seem to believe that they are justified in applying arbitrary meanings universally. My intent is to point out that such judgments do not have universal applicability.
0 Replies

PumpkinHead

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 05:25 am
Actually Setanta, I do disagree with you that life means ONLY what you wish to make it. You are ignoring the extent to which meaning is a social thing, starting from the word up... you are not totally in control of the meaning of your life to yourself.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:21 am
Setanta my friend, I think it's safe to say "The point is, there is no point".

Would you concur?
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:24 am
In the meandering river of life, if you come out with a fish in hand....
Thats a FISH Story.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:32 am
I like "the creature that tells stories." Makes sense to me. It's what we do.

But, then, I'm content learning things about life bit by bit, and don't expect to have some great revelation about it even when I die.

I'm perfectly willing to speculate, mind you, but one speculation is more or less as good as another, and I don't put a whole lot of stock in them except as amusements (though I do attach a great deal of importance to amusements).

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 03:15 pm
Setanta, Bipolar bear...

You guys are clearly suffering from nihilism.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 03:20 pm
Nude-hilism, Boss, me an BPB are fervent adherents of nude-hilism . . . no hope, no clue, no clothes . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 03:23 pm
turn on, tune in, and drop your shorts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 03:25 pm
Ah, another convert . . .
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 03:29 pm
covert, sure
pervert, maybe
invert, please
revert, years ago
convert? not i. ain't been convicted of nothing.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 04:17 pm
patiodog wrote:
I like "the creature that tells stories." Makes sense to me. It's what we do.

But, then, I'm content learning things about life bit by bit, and don't expect to have some great revelation about it even when I die.

I'm perfectly willing to speculate, mind you, but one speculation is more or less as good as another, and I don't put a whole lot of stock in them except as amusements (though I do attach a great deal of importance to amusements).

ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!!!!!

complete agreement here, however, you must realize that in all actuality, it really is all about ME :wink: ...
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 07:41 pm
The meaning of life, at least on this planet, would be to learn we must live in kindness with others. Don't think we have a choice there, either. Life itself will teach us to be kind to one another -- no matter what it takes, or how long.
0 Replies

HaggenFaus

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 08:53 pm
I would rather everyone say "This is what I think the meaning of life is" rather than saying "The meaning of life is..." because we are never sure. But here is what i think the meaning of life is: Experience it. We only have a limited time here on earth so we must experience things before we die. We must have fun, have pain, have emotions, have girlfriends/boyfriends, have kids to spread your legacy and make sure that the human race doesnt die out, live your dreams, get old and die. Basically, thats what I think.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 09:03 pm
and well thought, i'd say . . .
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:50 pm
truth
Sweetcomplications, in a sense what you say is correct, but in another, and greater, sense one should realize that in our VIRTUAL reality it is all about a "me" In actual reality it is only about what's happening at the moment. Me-ness is a noxious imposition on that happening. Just being picky.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:55 pm
HF, We are only sure for ourselves; it's our reality for whatever it's worth. c.i.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 10:59 pm
Re: truth
JLNobody wrote:
Sweetcomplications, in a sense what you say is correct, but in another, and greater, sense one should realize that in our VIRTUAL reality it is all about a "me" In actual reality it is only about what's happening at the moment. Me-ness is a noxious imposition on that happening. Just being picky.

And, I hope you realize that I was just joking with PatioDog with reference to the post on the page previous to this one! It's not that you're being "picky", it just appears (at least) that on this one, you checked your sense of humor/play @ the door :wink: !
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:33 pm
truth
Embarrassed
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2003 11:34 pm
Aww, that's okay: nice kitty, nice kitty :wink: !
0 Replies