What Can Bush Do to Save His Presidency?

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 07:47 pm
Can it be saved?

I think he either needs to try to get Cheney to resign or make it clear, he will no longer be in the loop, in which case Cheney would probably quit.

And, of course, he needs to fire Rove. He needs to bring someone in to his Cabinet who is respected by both parties. And if Alito runs into problems, he should try again with someone more moderate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,449 • Replies: 28
No top replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:35 pm
GW is so dependent on Cheney I don't think you'll ever see him resign or not be in the loop. I honestly don't think GW could make it through his term without Cheney calling the shots. I really don't think you'll see a diminishing of Cheney's influence unless he's indicted and steps down.
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:55 pm
After reading Eleanor Clift's column I am thinking you might be right. Bush is incapable of running things. How did we ever come to this?
0 Replies

bluesgirl

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:07 pm
Clift seems to think it might be beyond salvation

Quote:
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:22 pm
Clift is a big honking liberal who hates Bush.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:37 pm
There are only 16 people who do not hate Bush nowadays, Lash.

His wife and daughters still tolerate him, as well as his parents, you, and 10 people in the Ozarks.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:52 pm
Hate is unhealthy.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:57 pm
Lash Laroo, missing your whip?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:02 pm
Eleanor is not neutral.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:22 pm
talk72000 wrote:
Lash Laroo, missing your whip?

Wow. That's cool. You made a sentence.

Hate is bad for you.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:50 am
http://www.civil-war-token.com/images/President-Abraham-Lincoln.jpg
Drawing on the examples of other great Republicans, he could go to theatre more frequently.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 12:52 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Drawing on the examples of other great Republicans, he could go to theatre more frequently.

You are one sick puppy.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:04 am
http://kree8ions.tripod.com/original/DealyPlaza_FromOverpass.jpg
How's about Houston in an open limo. It is TEXAS, can't be anything risky about that?!
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:22 am
Lash wrote:
Clift is a big honking liberal who hates Bush.

Yeah, yeah....so, any suggestions for Bush to bolster his presidency?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:52 am
I think he should point to the findings in the 911 Commission Report, and challenge some of the lies that have been spouted so often, people take them for truth.

I think he should force his detractors to prove unequivocably some of their accusations, and he should constantly remind people of the comments about Saddam and Iraq during the Clinton Presidency. There are MANY Democrats on record during that time, calling for the military removal of Saddam Hussein. He's been too quiet too long.

He should also point to the gains for democracy in Iraq and elsewhere in the M.E.

For starters, anyway, to answer your question.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:14 am
Lash - Bush wouldn't need to do any of those things if the things he were doing now were actually working. The sadly obvious fact is that as a president Bush has failed. He should resign... except that would mean Cheney would be in charge....okay, let me think, how can we help Bush out of this mess? Cool
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:35 am
It's interesting that you call for Cheney's removal, yet fail to state one single thing that he's done wrong. I await the tired, old liberal refrain that it's too obvious for you to lower yourself to state it.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 02:42 am
GF--

Do you really believe that such a Herculean move--bringing the Cradle of Civilization forward a couple of hundred years into a gender-equitable society, among other things, --should be expected to be a clean, quick operation?

I think that belief is irrational, don't you?
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 03:04 am
Mr Stillwater wrote:

Interesting that you have to go all the way back to Lincoln to find a great Republican. It's also interesting that when Lincoln was in office the Republican party was a lot more like the Democratic party is today. Lincoln would be a Democrat if he were alive today.

Nothing can save the Bush presidency except maybe if he stops speaking. Every time Bush speaks his approval rating drops.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 04:05 am
Quote:
Do you really believe that such a Herculean move--bringing the Cradle of Civilization forward a couple of hundred years into a gender-equitable society, among other things, --should be expected to be a clean, quick operation?

I think that belief is irrational, don't you?

I would say that believing that is what is happening is more irrational, more hopeful-yes, but irrational and naive nonetheless.

BTW: Prior to the invasion, despite the dire political circumstances under Saddam, Iraq was more gender-equitable than any of it's neighbors one could care to list.

Unless the Arab League does something there will be civil war in Iraq for the next twenty years. There is nothing any Western nation can do about it.

As to what Bush should do. He should announce that he's done all he can. He's worked and worked and now he thinks it time for him and Dick to have a little time off. Announce they are going fishing or pheasant hunting and that Dennis Hastert will be running the country from now until the next election.

What a relief.

Joe(he's worked so hard.)Nation
0 Replies