Medicare D

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 05:42 pm
We are advised to go to Medicare online for information, but all that we get is a message that the attempt timed out. Thousands and thousands of people are trying to access this site for vital information, and can't get on!

Boy, is the government gumming up the works! Mad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,314 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 05:45 pm
Not only that, but according to AARP there are errors in one of the tables of the big, fat booklet sent out to explain Medicare Part D.

I'm going to talk to my friendly neighborhood pharmacist.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 05:50 pm
Waddaya wanna know? I have not only researched this stuff, but have copied 55 pages of the formulary of my chosen plan.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 06:54 pm
Which one did you choose? I'm trying to help my mother make the choice.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 07:34 pm
Medicare D
Well, 55 pages at least means that your plan's formulary is pretty extensive. I'm on a migraine medicine that costs upwards of $150 for a package of 9 pills, and I've been paying only $40 for a 3-month (90-count) supply. Will I find a plan that covers it? Will I be paying less now? Wanna bet?

I'm talking to a social worker who's pretty good on Medicare questions next week, but I know I'm still going to be confused. Medicare D interlocks with retirement plan benefits - the company picks up after Medicare has paid a certain amount. But it's the plan choice that's scaring me - here in MA we have 40 options to choose from not to mention the pharmacy availability. Forty options! That's sick!

Frankly, if all the big Pharma lobbyists were to rot forever, it wouldn't bother me at all. They deserve it for putting us through this mess. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:07 pm
Mr. Noddy and I got a letter from his former employer advising us NOT to sign up for Part D because their retirees drug plan was much better.

I'm going to have to research the problem for one of Mr. Noddy's family on the fringes--and I have a hunch that the Pennsylvania PACE program for low income seniors is going to be better--and cheaper--than Medicare.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:33 pm
Let the buyer beware!
"Let the buyer beware!" Even if your prescription meds are in the formulary, check the costs carefully. For example, in one of the most popular plans (with a 55-page formulary), Synthroid - 100mcg - would cost $28 for 30 tablets. At CVS on-line, the price is $50.59 for 100 tablets!!! At the un-named drug plan, you would save a whole $1.19 on 90 generic atenolol - 50 mg (Tenormin). But not really, because that plan's card costs $24.24 each month!!!

That's only two drugs. Compare each and every one of your own to make the best determination you can for yourselves.

How many Medicare eligible folks are going to look into all of the nooks and crannies of the Pharmaceutical Companies' boondoggle? And, golly day . . . think of the possible penalty for NOT signing up "on time"!

Whose tax money is this anyway? The following link is to G.W.'s wisdom on the subject as reported on Reuters' web site today.

According to G.W.
[/color]
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 08:25 am
Medicare D
It just occurred to me - where/how do I find out which plans are available in the first place. Obviously, without that information I can't make any choices because I don't know what choices to make. Confused Confused Confused
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:19 pm
Maybe start here . . . or here
This may be where we started. At this point, we're not too sure about anything concerning "The Big Mess." Confused Confused Confused Folks here are still working on making a decision.

Medicare Prescription Drug Plans - Google Search

MEDICARE.GOV

FORMULARY FINDER

Good luck!!! Smile Smile Smile
[/color]
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 04:53 pm
Medicare D
Well, I've begun to get deeper into the morass, and I swear it's closing over my head.

Actually, I did get some info re my options, but when I tried to get back to my spouse's options I couldn't get that particular page again.

Our basic problem is that the company used to cover prescriptions fantastically well, but now it doesn't seem that the combined company/Medicare coverage will be anywhere near as good. We will pay for these benefits - oh how we will pay!

Right now I'm trying to find out how to download the AARP formulary (see my related post, Downloading AARP formulary).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 05:28 pm
Tomkitten- I tried to get it for you, but the site is rather slow tonight. Wonder why????? :wink:

I will try again later.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 06:06 pm
Then of course there is the possibility that people's drugs will change. My eyedrops (I am presently taking five different bottles of eyedrops at different times each day, and have taken probably 20 separate eyedrop medications in the last year, ranging from $10. a bottle to 118. And that 118 lasts a month or so. Who knows what'll be prescribed when I have my next eye surgeries?

I don't have to sign up for a year, but I'm paying attention to others' learning curves.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 15 Nov, 2005 07:17 pm
Medicare D
Thanks, Phoenix, but I found that it had downloaded while I blinked once! I'm not yet used to the speed of DSL, and didn't even know it was on my computer!
0 Replies