Geography's Affect on Ancient Greece

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 04:32 pm
I have this question on an objective sheet for world history class: Describe how the geography of the Balkan peninsula influenced the development of the soical, political, economic, and cultural history of Ancient Greece.

Does anyone know what a good answer might be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,488 • Replies: 13
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 04:43 pm
Book Mark
0 Replies

carterreese

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 04:48 pm
Huh?
What does "book mark" mean?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 04:54 pm
Re: Huh?
carterreese wrote:
What does "book mark" mean?

It means I'm interested in the thread, and will be watching it. Smile
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 05:42 pm
carter--

I'll be helpful if you'll do a little legwork.

Bring a map of Greece. I'll explain.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 05:45 pm
http://www.alpha-omegaonline.com/Grece-Carte.gif
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:10 pm
Well. I could have brought one, but I wanted Carter to contribute something. I like helping, but only if they show at least a little effort.

If you look at the land mass, and pay attention to the topography, it appears that it's a pretty geographically disjointed land mass. There are a lot of mountains and mountain ranges--and of course, a lot of those little fingers of land sticking out in the Mediterranean. Can you imagine being King of all that back then, with no passable roads, phones... The geography made it too hard to have large areas governed by a single person or group or entity. So, they developed smaller city-states.

That isn't the four pronged answer you're looking for--but it's one--the governmental aspect. The fact that they're surrounded by so much water plays a pivotal role in their economic development.

Show some initiative and I'm sure others will be glad to join in.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:27 am
Maybe he/she does not know how to post an image.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:37 am
<smiles>

Possible. I hate to rob a students of the enhanced knowledge they'd get from seeking a bit for themselves. Definitely not a criticism toward you. It was kind of you to want to help him.

>LOVE Human Geography, and am very fond of Classical Studies. Only had one class, so my information is surface-y. Looking forward to further study of Greece.<
0 Replies

carterreese

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:45 am
Before I saw your request, AngeliqueEast already posted the map. Sorry.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 05:45 pm
There was no central power in the Balkans.. besides macedonia which took centuries to peak.. the greeks were largely uninterested in the region.. its only contrabution was the people which destroyed the Mycenian civilisation came south from here, and the Doric Greeks (ie. the Spartans, Corinthians) claimed descendance from these so called Dorians.. the Ionic Greeks were the survivors of the original stock.. ie the Athenians.. as far as i know that we the balkans only contabution to greece up till 350 B.C.
0 Replies

Ellinas

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:50 am
Milfmaster9 wrote:
There was no central power in the Balkans.. besides macedonia which took centuries to peak.. the greeks were largely uninterested in the region.. its only contrabution was the people which destroyed the Mycenian civilisation came south from here, and the Doric Greeks (ie. the Spartans, Corinthians) claimed descendance from these so called Dorians.. the Ionic Greeks were the survivors of the original stock.. ie the Athenians.. as far as i know that we the balkans only contabution to greece up till 350 B.C.

Like it or not, Macedonia was, is and will always be Greek Smile .

You are right on this ancient Spartans, Corinthians and Argos inhabitans were of Doric origin, while Athenians were pre-Hellenes. Today many centuries after, people from many parts of Greece have lived to these cities. The clear descedants of the Dorians today are the Cretans, the Maniots, the Tsakonians and the inhabitans of some isles of the South Aegean.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 09:53 am
Oh good, Ellinas can help!
0 Replies

curiouscluelessstudent

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 02:43 pm
hi Im in 9th grade. i have to write an essay on how a chosen geographic feature has an effect on the historical development of two nations or regions. i want to do it on greece and some other nearby area but Im not sure how to go about it...

i was just looking up some basic info on greece to start off.
can anyone lend me a hand?
0 Replies