America does not honor NAFTA agreements! Free trade, eh?

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:35 pm
MONTREAL (AFP) - A 10-year-old Canadian boy has called for a boycott of US fast food chain McDonald's in hopes of hastening an end to the deep rift over lumber trade between Canada and the United States.

Taking the trade impasse into his own hands is Luke McAndless of Vancouver, who along with a 13-year old friend -- and apparently some adults in the background -- launched his proposed one-day boycott on an internet website, www.wewantourmoneyback.ca.

His goal is to pressure the United States into repaying an estimated 4 billions dollars back to Canada. "We want our money back!," proclaims the website. "Yo yo yo, give us our dough," it says, asking readers to join the boycott starting December 3 and also to send a message to US President George W. Bush.

On October 5, a panel of the North American Free Trade Agreement ruled that the United States had unfairly levied duties on Canadian lumber and should repay the money.
But despite increasing Canadian government pressure to follow through on the ruling, Washington has balked, asking NAFTA for clarifications and for more time to consider its response.

Taking up the cause, McAndless has garnered support from the 340,000-member National Union of Public and General Employees, The National Post reported Friday.

McAndless told the newspaper that he chose McDonald's because it is a symbol of the United States, and also because the company is well-known among his fellow students.

A McDonald's spokesman regretted the boy's choice, emphasizing that Canada's McDonald's branches are mostly owned and managed by local people.

Note from Englishmajor: If Canada owed the US this much, the US would be dropping bombs on us or some other sanction. Why won't you honour your trade agreements, America? Shame on you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,279 • Replies: 40
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:42 pm
GWB has no shame. Notice how he shamelessly paraded in his National Guard uniform at Veterans' strongholds who had actually participated in real wars.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:44 pm
What? One thread was not good enough? You had to start two threads on the same thing with the same info? Chill out. Relax. Once is enough in this instance. Smile
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:48 pm
Laughing No, one was not enough. America is treating this like a triviality which it is not. Maybe I'll post a few more....... Laughing Laughing hey, coastal rat, are you west coast rat or east coast rat?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:50 pm
talk72000 wrote:
GWB has no shame. Notice how he shamelessly paraded in his National Guard uniform at Veterans' strongholds who had actually participated in real wars.

Had he NOT showed up in his uniform you'd be crying that he had no respect for the veterans and why wasn't he proud of his military involvement. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:51 pm
Re: America does not honor NAFTA agreements! Free trade, eh?
englishmajor wrote:
MONTREAL (AFP) - A 10-year-old Canadian boy has called for a boycott of US fast food chain McDonald's

No problem, he and is friends will probably eat better as a result.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:52 pm
englishmajor wrote:
Laughing No, one was not enough. America is treating this like a triviality which it is not. Maybe I'll post a few more....... Laughing Laughing hey, coastal rat, are you west coast rat or east coast rat?

East coast. Charleston, SC.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:53 pm
What military involvement? It was never proven that he showed up much of the time! The records mysteriously disappeared....nice to have money eh and a powerful daddy?!

Anyway, this thread is not about GWB's pathetic military record. It IS about why America is NOT honouring a legal ruling by NAFTA, North American Free Trade Agreement? Can you answer that, Bella Dea? Why doesn't America give Canada their 4 billion? Do they need it for Iraq?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 02:58 pm
englishmajor wrote:
What military involvement? It was never proven that he showed up much of the time! The records mysteriously disappeared....nice to have money eh and a powerful daddy?!

Anyway, this thread is not about GWB's pathetic military record. It IS about why America is NOT honouring a legal ruling by NAFTA, North American Free Trade Agreement? Can you answer that, Bella Dea? Why doesn't America give Canada their 4 billion? Do they need it for Iraq?

Glad you thought talks post was important enough to hijack this thread. Rolling Eyes

Do I really need to answer that question or are you really that dumb? Of course I don't know why. I am not directly involved with NAFTA, now am I? And any answer you come up with will be speculative bull crap so, let's just wait for this to play out before you bash the US?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:17 pm
Bella, it's been playing out for a while.
And truthfully, the U.S. isn't looking very good.

It's something I prefer to take up with my member of Parliament, but the U.S. dealings with Canada on NAFTA issues aren't making it any friends.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:20 pm
Excuse me? This is my thread. So you were the hijacker talking about GWB's military involvement. Which has been proven that he was not involved. Suppose you listen to corp. controlled media to get your info, eh? Guess he has a lot of guilt since he AWOL'd his way out of fighting in any war. Too busy snorting coke and partying.

Course you cannot answer the question! You only hear American news! Silly me, to think you'd listen to anything other than CNN or Fox. I am not directly involved with NAFTA either - however, you could, if you were intellectually curious, look up the agreement online. BBC has newcasts about it......NAFTA is the FINAL ruling. What is the White House waiting for? To see if Canada is really going to sue the Americans? And yes, we are. Too bad Americans are not more savvy about what goes on in their own country. NAFTA only works out for America, not Canada and not Mexico. Canada has waited YEARS for this to 'play out' - how much longer do you think we wish to wait for your silly village idiot president to decide NAFTA has the final word? My God, America doesn't even honour Geneva Conventions, why should they care about NAFTA.........and this is not speculative bullshit. Why don't you read more - go online and read about NAFTA/softwoods/tariffs and see what you come up with before you shoot your big mouth off. EH??
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:21 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Bella, it's been playing out for a while.
And truthfully, the U.S. isn't looking very good.

It's something I prefer to take up with my member of Parliament, but the U.S. dealings with Canada on NAFTA issues aren't making it any friends.

If it turnes out that way, then it does. It is what it is. I can't make excuses.

No one likes us anyway so we might as well add Canada to the list. (just kidding...I like my Canadian friends)
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:26 pm
Thanks for your intelligent response, ehBeth. It's good to know someone investigates the news, rather than just accepting like infant pablum what is dished out.

The world is watching this issue with NAFTA. America is just looking like a bully......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:26 pm
Bella, part of what I find depressing about it is that the U.S. had so many friends, internationally, right after 9-11 - and so much goodwill was lost with the invasion of Iraq.

~~~~~~

Not sure exactly why you're getting so heated up, englishmajor. This is a discussion forum - nothing more, nothing less.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:27 pm
englishmajor wrote:
Excuse me? This is my thread. So you were the hijacker talking about GWB's military involvement.

Glad you just conveniently skipped over this post to spew your venom on me. 2nd one on this thread.

talk72000 wrote:

englishmajor wrote:

Course you cannot answer the question!

And neither can you so I guess that makes you as stupid as I am. Unless of course, you are currently actually in the process of sueing us in which case I will have to retract my statment. But methinks you are not directly involved, so....

You have a lot of hostility and hot air and you will not convince anyone of anything with this attitude, especially if you are insulting everyone and everything.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:29 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Bella, part of what I find depressing about it is that the U.S. had so many friends, internationally, right after 9-11 - and so much goodwill was lost with the invasion of Iraq.

I know. It makes me sad sometimes because we do good things in the world, we do! But then we do something really naughty (like bullying) and then good feelings go straight out the window. I wish we weren't so "smash and grab" all the time. That's the preferred method of the US and I don't really agree with it.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:30 pm
englishmajor wrote:
Thanks for your intelligent response, ehBeth. It's good to know someone investigates the news, rather than just accepting like infant pablum what is dished out.

The world is watching this issue with NAFTA. America is just looking like a bully......

blah blah blah blah...stupid Americans...and you wonder why we bully you. Call us that one more time to our face... (if you can't tell that's a joke, which you probably won't get or find funny because you are so angry at the world)
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 03:31 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

East coast. Charleston, SC.

Interesting! My family is Old South, from Newberry area in the northern part of SC. They have been there since the 1716's. I love Charleston, such a culturally interesting place with the Gullah's, old historic homes. Lucky you! I lived in SC for a number of years. How did it fare with the hurricanes this year?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 05:09 pm
ehBeth wrote:

In years to come astounded and stunned historians will be shaking their heads as they analyse the policy stupidity of the current Administration and the legislature in ruining that support. It will be seen as a brief aberration I hope.
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 06:02 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
englishmajor wrote:

blah blah blah blah...stupid Americans...and you wonder why we bully you. Call us that one more time to our face... (if you can't tell that's a joke, which you probably won't get or find funny because you are so angry at the world)

Laughing Laughing Laughing You, and i mean that generally, americans, bully everyone. Sorry, not angry at the world at all, just americans, whom I find among the most ignorant, by and large, of anyone on planet Earth. Europeans, Asians, etc etc know what America is up to with its thinly disguised grab for global dominance. Guess there is no vaccine for stupidity Very Happy Very Happy

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Razz What I have posted about NAFTA is true. If you don't like/can't handle truth, well, there's lots of threads!! EH!!?? I'll be posting more soon on another thread. Stay tuned, or not.....doesn't matter to me!
0 Replies