Why do people hate God so much? Are they blind?

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 12:50 pm
Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

It's interesting that you chose Deacons and Elders as your examples. I always felt the Roman Catholics were particulary adept in herding their flock toward following a prescribed doctrine but I think it comes from higher than the lay leadership.

I equate blind trust with unquestioning faith which I don't need to get into again. :wink: I think it is unfortunate when someone is a member of an organized religion and gives up their search for Truth because they're convinced they've found it or, someone never begins a search because they were born into a faith group and gets herded through life as one of the flock. At the same time I have a problem when someone is a member of an organized religion that has a creed or specific dogma and that individual doesn't follow the specified doctrine. If all the Catholics who practice birth control, for instance, were to join the Episcopals who are doctrinally very close to the RCs, how long do you suppose it would take the Catholics to call for a Vatican III?

I seem to be isolating the RCs in this post but most organized religions, not just the cults or the Catholics, have ideology that looks to blind trust from its membership. Another way of saying this, I guess, is to point to the self-righteousness of most faith groups. They all tend to claim an exclusive hold on Truth and salvation which flies in the face of my premise that man can never know Truth but should spend a lifetime looking for it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm
J_B,

Do you think ..."when someone is a member of an organized religion and gives us their search for truth because they're convinced they've found it, someone never begins a search because they were born....." is the majority?

I know for me, I look for the truth everyday. Being a Christian and seeking the Lord is about learning, studying, and putting the truth to practice in my life.

Can you expound on that for me, please?http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:03 pm
J_B wrote:

I think it is unfortunate when someone is a member of an organized religion and gives up their search for Truth because they're convinced they've found it or, someone never begins a search because they were born into a faith group and gets herded through life as one of the flock. At the same time I have a problem when someone is a member of an organized religion that has a creed or specific dogma and that individual doesn't follow the specified doctrine.

This is pretty much the same problem that I have had with the church. Not only a lack in the continuance of searching, but a profound sense of hypocrisy that seems to have embedded itself in most christian congregations of which I've attended.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:13 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
J_B,

Do you think ..."when someone is a member of an organized religion and gives us their search for truth because they're convinced they've found it, someone never begins a search because they were born....." is the majority?

I know for me, I look for the truth everyday. Being a Christian and seeking the Lord is about learning, studying, and putting the truth to practice in my life.

Can you expound on that for me, please?http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif

It very well might be the majority, Momma, I'm really not sure. But that would follow along with the concept of sheep. It only takes one or two dogs nipping at the feet of those on the edge of the flock to keep the rest of the herd in line.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:16 pm
J_B,

Understood, J_B. I guess I wonder at that because like I said, for me, it's a daily search for truth. I will never know it all. I can never learn it all. Yes, there are certain facets to my faith that will never change, but, I feel one can always gain a higher understanding.

Thank you for answering that for me!http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/heart.gif
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:22 pm
Questioner wrote:
J_B wrote:

I think it is unfortunate when someone is a member of an organized religion and gives up their search for Truth because they're convinced they've found it or, someone never begins a search because they were born into a faith group and gets herded through life as one of the flock. At the same time I have a problem when someone is a member of an organized religion that has a creed or specific dogma and that individual doesn't follow the specified doctrine.

This is pretty much the same problem that I have had with the church. Not only a lack in the continuance of searching, but a profound sense of hypocrisy that seems to have embedded itself in most christian congregations of which I've attended.
Not like these folks, eh?

"Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas out to Be·roe´a, and these, upon arriving, went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·ni´ca, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so." (Acts 17:10,11)
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:25 pm
neologist wrote:
Not like these folks, eh?

"Immediately by night the brothers sent both Paul and Silas out to Be·roe´a, and these, upon arriving, went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 Now the latter were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·ni´ca, for they received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so." (Acts 17:10,11)

Aye. Those were the 'Good Ol' Days'.
0 Replies