Why do people hate God so much? Are they blind?

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 08:58 pm
Edgar,
What is your point and where is your commentary?
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:00 pm
J_B wrote:
Quote:
My point MA is as strongly as you believe your truth is right, so do those who believe only their truth is right. All acts carried out in the name of faith can be considered irrational and deluded because they are based on truth, not Truth.

Since there can only be one truth, perhaps truth in this context should be changed to opinion.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:01 pm
Understood J_B, but I think it's safe to say that flying airplanes into buildings, strapping bombs to oneself or others to kill anyone, is not coming from the truth. Yes, that is a delusion on the part of those that believe God would have them kill.

Jesus does not demand that we kill for Him. None of His teachings are anything that would hurt anyone. It is man that takes His teachings and uses them to justify what they do.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:02 pm
Intrepid wrote:

How about good acts? Do you dismiss those as well and suggest that because they are done in faith they should be discounted? Are you so naive as to think that those who do not have faith do not impart their views on others? If no one knows truth... then why should we believe what you are saying?

I didn't say no one knows truth, I said no one knows Truth meaning absolute TRUTH. I have great faith in the goodness of humanity. I have equal faith in the inherent evil that humanity is capable of doing. What good acts done in the name of faith are you referring to? I would probably call it inherent goodness, not needing a God to provide incentive. Of course people without faith impart their views on others, but they have the guts to take ownership for them as their own.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:06 pm
J_B wrote:
Quote:
Of course people without faith impart their views on others, but they have the guts to take ownership for them as their own.

Shocked

I think you kind of lost me on that one. I guess you are saying that people without faith are totally honest and above reproach and believers are something less than honest and cannot think for themselves and do everything according to religion only.

Uh, sure..ok Cool
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:12 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Understood J_B, but I think it's safe to say that flying airplanes into buildings, strapping bombs to oneself or others to kill anyone, is not coming from the truth. Yes, that is a delusion on the part of those that believe God would have them kill.

Jesus does not demand that we kill for Him. None of His teachings are anything that would hurt anyone. It is man that takes His teachings and uses them to justify what they do.

Agreed that killing in the name of God is delusion, yet the history of Christianity is rife with it.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:13 pm
As is the history of Islam. As is the history of countless others. But, it's not the religion and it's not God that does it. It is man and that is where the blame must squarely lie.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:22 pm
Intrepid wrote:

I think you kind of lost me on that one. I guess you are saying that people without faith are totally honest and above reproach and believers are something less than honest and cannot think for themselves and do everything according to religion only.

Uh, sure..ok Cool

You're right, I lost you on that one :wink: IMO each of us has the capability of good and evil. Call it conscience and greed, if you will. Or, the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. I don't think those things are from God, I think they are inherent traits in all humans. Even those with faith have those traits, so believers can certainly think for themselves but they sometimes don't. I didn't say that all acts of the faithful are based on faith, I said all acts of faith can be considered irrational and delusional.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:24 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
As is the history of Islam. As is the history of countless others. But, it's not the religion and it's not God that does it. It is man and that is where the blame must squarely lie.

Agreed, God does not do any of those things but when the acts are committed by man in the name of God they are irrational and delusional regardless of which faith he/she is supposedly following.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:27 pm
J_B wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Uh, sure..ok Cool

You're right, I lost you on that one :wink: IMO each of us has the capability of good and evil. Call it conscience and greed, if you will. Or, the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. I don't think those things are from God, I think they are inherent traits in all humans. Even those with faith have those traits, so believers can certainly think for themselves but they sometimes don't. I didn't say that all acts of the faithful are based on faith, I said all acts of faith can be considered irrational and delusional.

Thanks for the clarification. We all hear people say "The devil made me do it" or "It was a voice from God" You are right, we all have those traits. Only difference is, some believe that our traits came from God and the Devil tries to change us to the evil side. Just because someone has faith does not mean they are perfect. The true Christian will endeavour to do only good works and love his fellow man. In truth, it is not always the case. We can only endeavour to do our best and improve.

I do, however, disagree with your last sentence. If all acts of faith were irrational and delusional we may as well all pack up and end it now.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
J_B WRote:

Quote:
It's called faith. Unquestioning faith. No matter the religion, when an individual carries out an act because he believes it is the will of God (whatever God he may be following) he imparts his faith on the lives of others. All acts of faith could be discounted as irrational and deluded. No one group has the market on faith. No one group has a justification to impose it's version of faith on the world. No one knows Truth.

J_B, what good would faith be if we questioned it all the time? What good would God be if He had to prove Himself to mortal man?

I have to disagree with you about no one knows truth. I agree no one knows the 100% truth, but one can and does know truth.
Unquestioning faith is credulity. Compare 1 Thessalonians 5:21.

God doesn't have to prove himself to us, but he does. He allows himself to be questioned, even critically. Remember what Abraham said before the destruction of Sodom: "It is unthinkable of you that you are acting in this manner to put to death the righteous man with the wicked one so that it has to occur with the righteous man as it does with the wicked! It is unthinkable of you. Is the Judge of all the earth not going to do what is right?" (Genesis 18:25)

Which is to say that someone searching for truth can be forgiven his impetuousness.

As for all the abominations that have taken place in God's name, they all have their roots in the power hungry clergy.

And real, the total deaths in WWII, a war fought and blessed by the world's religions, amounted to 62,218,811. SOURCE

The religions of the world have shed rivers of blood in the names of their gods. And it is the priests who deliver the sacrifices to the front.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:36 pm
Why do you say that, Intrepid? The part about packing it up and ending it now?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:38 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Coyotes run in packs, don't they? :-)

No, in fact, they don't. They're solitary hunters, and are rarely seen together.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:40 pm
whew, thanks Set Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:46 pm
Wellll..... coyotes are usually loners, at least to a large degree, but they pack up a bit at rutting season. I think.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:48 pm
Setanta wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

No, in fact, they don't. They're solitary hunters, and are rarely seen together.

Setanta,
It gives me great pleasure to, once again, proof you wrong. While it is true that coyotes sometimes run alone, they still pack. Coyotes may live in small packs containing anywhere from three to ten animals, with six being the average size. Most coyote packs are family units consisting of a mated pair and its current offspring and possibly a few of last year's offspring.

It seems that your only contribution to this thread was to try and make my words seem false. You failed.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:49 pm
must be all those hormones.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:55 pm
This reminds me of a 'conversation' (yeah, let's call it that) between one drunken buddy to another.
"I TOLD you Denis, a badger bites WITHOUT being poked at!"
"NO Ricky, it was poked at first!"
*drunken brawl

Luckily, I'm in more civilized company here. Razz
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 09:58 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Setanta,
It gives me great pleasure to, once again, proof you wrong. While it is true that coyotes sometimes run alone, they still pack. Coyotes may live in small packs containing anywhere from three to ten animals, with six being the average size. Most coyote packs are family units consisting of a mated pair and its current offspring and possibly a few of last year's offspring.

It seems that your only contribution to this thread was to try and make my words seem false. You failed.

One of the most adaptable animals in the world, the coyote can change its breeding habits, diet and social dynamics to survive in a wide variety of habitats.

Alone, in pairs or in packs, coyotes maintain their territories by marking them with urine. They also use calls to defend this territory, as well as for strengthening social bonds and general communication

And . . .

Although the coyote has been observed killing sheep, poultry and other livestock, it does not subsist on domestic animals. Food habit studies reveal that its principle diet is composed of mice, rabbits, ground squirrels, other small rodents, insects, even reptiles, and fruits and berries of wild plants.

The coyote is an opportunistic predator that uses a variety of hunting techniques to catch small mammals likes rabbits and squirrels, which comprise the bulk of its diet. Although it hunts alone to catch small prey, it may join with others in hunting larger mammals like young deer or a pony.

Source for the above . . .

The highlighted sentences demonstrate the validity of my statement that coyotes are rarely seen together--i didn't say never, and i didn't say they won't join together, i pointed out that they are rarely seen together.

I responded to this thread before you even showed up. You need to get over your swollen ego. You're nothing to me . . .
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:01 pm
I certainly don't intend to get into some silly debate on the habits of coyotes. Just remember, there is a difference between east and west and desert coyotes. I really do not care about this. If it makes you feel more brilliant and powerful to think you are right, Set. You are right. I will not argue over silly little things that derail a thread. The end.
:-)
0 Replies