Why do people hate God so much? Are they blind?

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:03 pm
flushd wrote:
This reminds me of a 'conversation' (yeah, let's call it that) between one drunken buddy to another.
"I TOLD you Denis, a badger bites WITHOUT being poked at!"
"NO Ricky, it was poked at first!"
*drunken brawl

Luckily, I'm in more civilized company here. Razz

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y75/Intrepid2/co_fi079.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:03 pm
J_B wrote:
Why do you say that, Intrepid? The part about packing it up and ending it now?

Intrepid, his might have gotten lost in the coyote talk. I'm curious what you meant by that.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:09 pm
J_B wrote:
J_B wrote:
Why do you say that, Intrepid? The part about packing it up and ending it now?

Intrepid, his might have gotten lost in the coyote talk. I'm curious what you meant by that.

Oh, sorry J_B. I seemed to have gotten a little sidetracked there. Smile

When I said, "If all acts of faith were irrational and delusional we may as well all pack up and end it now " in response to your comment, I meant that if all acts of faith were, in fact, irrational and delusional we, as Christians, may as well just forget eveything we have ever believed because it is nothing more than delusion. It is not delusion and all acts of faith are not irrational nor delusional.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:15 pm
ah, like the post the other day with the punchline of, "we're screwed"! Yup.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:18 pm
I am not sure what you are referring to, J_B since the line you just mentioned was not written by me.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:27 pm
It's in the Genesis Redux thread here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1664288#1664288

Questioner wrote:

What? ALL Christians claim to know the mind of God in one way or another. Some phrases to support that claim:

"It's God's will."
"If you sin you go to hell."
"The Bible is God's word."
"God Loves You"

neologist wrote:

About the second premise:

If the bible was not inspired, we who call ourselves Christians are to be pitied.

Evidence? You speak of evidence?

If the bible is not divinely inspired, then you've had however many thousands of years of meddling priests and editors with ulterior motives mucking through your one source of knowledge about your god. If not divinely inspired, you are screwed.

To put it bluntly.

Cheers!

and here:

neologist wrote:
I'm really confused as to who is saying what in the last few posts, so I'll go back to my original statement with a few explanations: (italicized)
The bible was either inspired by God or it was not.

Supposing the first premise:

If the bible was inspired, God certainly has the power to have ensured that we would have an accurate recording of his purpose and requirements, if any.

This statement would be true: ". . .so my word that goes forth from my mouth will prove to be. It will not return to me without results, but it will certainly do that in which I have delighted, and it will have certain success in that for which I have sent it." (Isaiah 55:11)

To assume that he would operate against his best interests and allow this valuable word to become adulterated simply doesn't make sense.

About the second premise:

If the bible was not inspired, we who call ourselves Christians are to be pitied.

OK, maybe it could be said more directly:
Questioner wrote:
. . .you are screwed.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:53 pm
Here's an example of what I'm talking about, Intrepid.

Over on the politics board you said,

Quote:
I do agree with you about Robertson. I have forced myself to look at some of his television broadcasts so that I could form my own opinion. He may call himself a man of God, but I think he is a man of his own dilusions and tries to fit God into his own feeble thoughts.

You see Pat Robertson as dilusional. I see him as faithful. He is as sure in his faith as you are in yours. Who gets to be the judge? His actions in making that statement was an act of faith. To me it was irrational and dilusional. He's following the same God you are, but he's interpreting truth through his own lens. I cannot determine his lens from yours. I can only see through mine. You cannot determine his from mine, we are both wrong in your outlook. This is why I say that all acts of faith can be viewed as irrational and dilusional, because no one knows the Truth.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 10:57 pm
J_B,

We are all known by the fruits of the spirit that we bear.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:07 pm
J_B wrote:
Here's an example of what I'm talking about, Intrepid.

Over on the politics board you said,

Quote:
I do agree with you about Robertson. I have forced myself to look at some of his television broadcasts so that I could form my own opinion. He may call himself a man of God, but I think he is a man of his own dilusions and tries to fit God into his own feeble thoughts.

You see Pat Robertson as dilusional. I see him as faithful. He is as sure in his faith as you are in yours. Who gets to be the judge? His actions in making that statement was an act of faith. To me it was irrational and dilusional. He's following the same God you are, but he's interpreting truth through his own lens. I cannot determine his lens from yours. I can only see through mine. You cannot determine his from mine, we are both wrong in your outlook. This is why I say that all acts of faith can be viewed as irrational and dilusional, because no one knows the Truth.

My opinion is that he is dilusional. Your opinion is that he is faithful. Since these are opinions, you may be right; I may be right; we both may be wrong. We do not know that he has faith in God. He may be using God for his own purpose and really believe in Satan for all we know. The fact is... we do not know. How do you know that he follows the same God that I do. My God does not tell me to hate those who Pat Robertson hates. My God tells me not to hate anyone. How do you know that he even follows God? Because he has a TV show and says he does? There are many Christian websites that denounce him. Who is right? What is truth?

What do you consider an act of faith? If we consider an act of faith to be a behavior that shows or tests a person's religious convictions you could be right. We can only interpret what is true.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:20 pm
Intrepid wrote:

What do you consider an act of faith? If we consider an act of faith to be a behavior that shows or tests a person's religious convictions you could be right. We can only interpret what is true.

Exactly!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2005 11:21 pm
I'm glad that is settled. Let's get back to the coyotes! Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

iduru

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 04:03 am
Powerhungry coyotes of the clergy, killing in the name of god?!! ...but not in packs. Smile
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 11:57 pm
neologist wrote:

And real, the total deaths in WWII, a war fought and blessed by the world's religions, amounted to 62,218,811. SOURCE

The religions of the world have shed rivers of blood in the names of their gods. And it is the priests who deliver the sacrifices to the front.

To be sure, Hitler did try to hide behind the Christianity of his countrymen and twist or break arms to obtain the tacit blessing of religious leaders.

But there is little doubt that the overriding philosophy driving him was that of Evolution, not Christianity. He believed that the strong and perfect should and would rid the world of the weak and imperfect.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 12:48 am
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

And real, the total deaths in WWII, a war fought and blessed by the world's religions, amounted to 62,218,811. SOURCE

The religions of the world have shed rivers of blood in the names of their gods. And it is the priests who deliver the sacrifices to the front.

To be sure, Hitler did try to hide behind the Christianity of his countrymen and twist or break arms to obtain the tacit blessing of religious leaders.

But there is little doubt that the overriding philosophy driving him was that of Evolution, not Christianity. He believed that the strong and perfect should and would rid the world of the weak and imperfect.
That may be true, but he was able to marshall his troops only with the aid of the clergy.

And I might add that American Catholics killed German Catholics while American Lutherans killed German Lutherans. Where was the spine of the church leadership?
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 07:44 am
J_B wrote:

Kindly leave my quotes out of this thread of rambling nonsense. Coyotes indeed!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 08:23 am
Neo, in a rare fit of unself-examined truth wrote:

Indeed, this is the point which is made over and over again, and sadly, most christians respond with another set of ludicrous scriptural citations, which do not clearly respond to the issue, and which are only relevant in a tortured exegesis which is dubiously purported to mean what the actual text patently does not say.

That is the very height of delusion, a state of mind absolutely essential to those cherishing the imaginary friend superstition.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:06 am
Questioner wrote:
J_B wrote:

Shocked

HUH?

Shocked Shocked

Evil or Very Mad

and to think I was hoping for your input when I asked the original question about flocks. Never mind, sorry to offend you with my rambling nonsense but I rather enjoyed the conversation with Intrepid and MA, coyotes aside. The next time you post rambling nonsense, I'll be sure to point it out to you.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:09 am
Set; just paraphrasing Paul, who wrote in 1 Corinthians 15:19: " If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all men most to be pitied."

Which is why I have always maintained that faith untested is credulity.

And, such credulity is, in fact, the very delusion to which you refer. It is the source of priestly power.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:18 am
J_B wrote:
Questioner wrote:
J_B wrote:

and to think I was hoping for your input when I asked the original question about flocks. Never mind, sorry to offend you with my rambling nonsense but I rather enjoyed the conversation with Intrepid and MA, coyotes aside. The next time you post rambling nonsense, I'll be sure to point it out to you.

Sad

Don't be offended, I was really joking. Very Happy
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 11:26 am
J_B wrote:
Let's discuss flocks...

I always had a problem being a follower. Flocks remind me of sheep, sheep remind me of followers, followers remind me of blind trust which scares the hell out of me. Particularly when the blind trust is being spoken by a human who claims to have a direct line to God's intent.

MA, I'm not trying to pick on you here, but when you called yourself one of the Flock, my radar alarms started screaming. It's the concept of flock that bothers me about organized religion, or at least that's one on the things that trouble me.

Anyone else?

Here you go J_B Very Happy

My interpretation of flock is a tad different, but with similar undertones. You related your interpretation of flock with sheep. This is spot on, really. The concepts of church leadership such as Elders and Deacons is closely related to hearders tending a flock (sheep, goats, what have you).

This can become very sticky very quickly if you allow someone to become a deacon or elder of the church that has some rather severe shortcommings. The church will typically abide by what the Elders say, and with whatever direction they set for the church. That's not to say that they always do it without argument, but generally they do follow.

As far as blind trust goes, that's generally reserved for a more cultist following. Make no mistake, some churches are set up that way, particularly older churches comprised of 50+ year old members.
0 Replies