old feelings

Reply Thu 10 Nov, 2005 09:47 pm
Hello All,

As you should be aware by now, there is a lot of unrest in France with the North African populations. I have an ex-boyfriend there, who happens to be an Algerian, and I was concerned about him. There are many reasons that we broke up - the most obvious being that I was not staying in France, but also because we were different on many levels - emotionally, as far as goals, etcetera. I was glad that the Ocean was providing an easy escape for me. I kept in touch with him over the summer, and we have remained friends. And with all the events in France, I decided to call and see if he is okay. He lives in Le Mans, and there isn't much going on there as far as rioting.

After he assured me that he was fine, the conversation moved in its natural progression toward other things. And eventually I realized that I really miss him...despite a lot of hurtful things that he did to me (like not listening to me about serious things, making me wait, not thanking me for spending money on him or loaning him money, etcetera). It was all little stuff, but it added up. I don't regret that things ended for whatever reason (The Atlantic Ocean or differences). But when I talked to him, I was missing him a lot, and I told him so. I said, "Even though you hurt me, I still miss you. I don't know why I called you. I can't make myself vulnerable, and it's pointless to miss you" Just a side note, I am returning to France in a year and a half for an extended stay (two or three years). But I have told myself that I don't want to see him when I go back. I should probably go to Strousberg or Marseilles or Bordeaux or something so I can be as far away from the Loire Valley as possible. I just don't understand why I feel like I miss him. It ended so abruptly that I guess I haven't had time to deal with my feelings.

Any advice?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 702 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Deler

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2005 12:00 am
I'd say stop thinking about him, you allready told yourself you don't want to see him so the best thing you can do is put him out of your mind. Keep thinking about how you don't want to see him and he'll be on your mind more then if you wanted to see him. Maybe take some time to sort things through then leave them where they be
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 03:32 pm
Dj--

Some people--and I'm one of them--have absolutely no sense of direction in the physical world. Turning left, hanging a right, heading north, drive into the sunset.... We get lost with distressing regularity.

Other people have absolutely no sense of temporal direction. I think this lack is more common in women than in men. Women have an affair, give of themselves, accept from the lover (and if the affair turns sour a lot of what they accept from the lover is hurtful and wounding). Men move on and women mull and mourn and wish, "If only....."

Some people actually "enjoy" ill health. Give some people with delicate digestion an opening and they will yatter on and on about belching and farting and cramping and what foods they can't eat (but love) and what the doctor said and.....

Having a delicate digestion becomes part of What They Are.

Do you want to go through life thinking of yourself as a Woman Damaged by Love? Or are you a Woman Who Once (in her Romantic Youth) had a Fling with a Charming (but Flawed) Frenchman?

Turn this semi-charming Algerian into a picturesque part of your past instead of an empty spot on the pillow next to you.

Cole Porter did a great job about putting past love into perspective:

Quote:
Song: Just One Of Those Things Lyrics

It was just one of those things
Just one of those crazy flings
One of those bells that now and then rings
It was one of those things

It was just one of those nights
Just one of those fabulous flights
A trip to the moon on gossamer wings
It was one of those things

If we'd thought a bit about the end of it
When we started jumpin' town
We'd have been aware that our love affair
Was too hot not to cool down

So good-bye, dear, good-bye and amen
Here's hopin' we'll meet now and then
It was great fun
But it was just one of those things

It was just, just, just, just
It turned out to be one of those grabbin' nights
Just one of those fabulous flights
A trip to the moon on gossamer wings

Yeah--ahh,
If we'd thought a bit 'bout the end of it
When we started to bust up the town
We'd have been aware that this love affair
Was too hot not to cool down

So good-bye, good-bye, good-bye,
Ta-ta, so long and you might even add "Amen"
Here's hopin' we'll do it again

It was great fun
But it was just one of those things

Remember, once you get the past sorted out, the past is prologue for the rest of your life.
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 10:07 pm
Thanks Noddy. I have tried to look at it from that perspective, and am continuing to try. I cared about him. And I am beginning to realize that I probably hurt him as much as he hurt me. So, whats in the past is in the past. It still hurts though because I don't know if I would have left him if I wasn't physically leaving. But four months in a country is just that - only four months. You cant build love in only four months. I can take this relationship for what it taught me:

1) to speak french with confidence and not worry about every little mistake I make in conversation (he didnt speak English, and I was forced to speak French with him)
2) to appreciate his culture (Algerian/Kabyle), and to understand Islam better (he was non-practicing, but still taught me a lot)
3) to appreciate the romantic possibilities of a few months, and also the limitations.

He was a good guy, but our relationship was flawed, and that seems easy to understand in theory, but it was really hard to leave. Thanks for the advice.

Oh, by the way, I love that Cole Porter Song. I have a version sung by Ella Fitzgerald.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:40 pm
No better mentor that Ella for fractured love--except, perhaps, Dorothy Parker:

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Dorothy_Parker
0 Replies

tahiti1031

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2005 09:33 pm
opposite sex friends
I truly believe in what Noddy 24 noted. There is alot of good advice in her statement. DanielleJean, i would love for you to think about this and everybody with a thought, do reply.

My childhood sweetheart & I said we would be friends from day #1. We dated for 2 years and that was that. We have both married and are with children (me 9 years & him for 4 years) yet we both still have a passion for each other as friends. He is like your best girlfriend but is a boy.

With a honest hug, smile, & chat we'd go on our merry way with peace in our hearts when seeing each other rarely over the last 10 years.

We have recently exchanged phone numbers and chat and I feel I have found the long lost friend and piece missing from me. My husband knows him and is indifferent and his wife is the same. They do not care that he and I chat b/c we are nothing but friends. We can laugh and joke knowing that we are both there for each other and love our spouses even more than ever b/c we are both glad we are who we are with.

it all goes down to....if there are people in your life, be them the same or opposite sex, and you cannot get these people out of your heart or your head, you need to seek them out & find peace with yourself. Life is only but so long and we all need friends (the more, the better) b/c there is power in numbers and more hearts to listen to you when you are down.

I just feel that GOD PUTS EVERYBODY IN YOUR LIFE FOR A REASON AND YOU SHOULD LOVE EVERYBODY EVERYDAY NO MATTER WHAT B/C YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MAY NOT HAVE THEM. I have heard that repeatedly throughout my life and believe it with all of my heart!

daniellejean, can could still be friends with him. men hate that statement but an occasional e-mail or chat every once in a while may be good for both of you. just wondering. this is my situation, and just trying to help you. GOOD LUCK IN WHATEVER YOU CHOSE Smile
0 Replies