Let's Get Rid of Roe

Mortkat

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:25 am
Stevepax- Is it possible that if I had been fighting against abortion thirty or forty years ago, I could have saved you?--Or did save you?
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:02 am
Two years ago our daughter was a high school senior. I had to e-mail them my permission to allow her to get a flu shot.

A flu shot.

She could get an abortion without our knowledge, but she needs my permission to get a flu shot.

Am I the only one who ponders that something might be wrong here?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:33 am
McGentrix wrote:
Any idea how long the wait to adopt a child is Stevepax? Any concept of what families incapable of bearing children have to go through?

Any time you want to adopt achild, there are thousands of special needs kids just waiting for someone to step up ... RIGHT THIS SECOND! Not to mention the thousands worldwide that need parents RIGHT THIS SECOND. There's no need to create any more unwanted children.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:38 am
Mortkat wrote:
Stevepax- Is it possible that if I had been fighting against abortion thirty or forty years ago, I could have saved you?--Or did save you?

Nice try Deadcat, but my mother aborted 3 long before it was legal. I am here nonetheless. Legality stops nothing, it just makes it more safe if it is. You're not going to stop abortion, you'll just change how it's done.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 09:39 am
Jim, schools are like that. There are hundreds of places she could have got it without your ever being bothered.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 10:41 am
Stevepax wrote:
Mortkat wrote:

Nice try Deadcat, but my mother aborted 3 long before it was legal. I am here nonetheless. Legality stops nothing, it just makes it more safe if it is. You're not going to stop abortion, you'll just change how it's done.

Mortkat doesn't care about protecting women's health. He's foaming at the mouth in hopes that the Supreme Court will approve a N.H. statute that fails to provide a medical emergency exception for pregnant teenagers in the throes of a medical crisis. He doesn't care that a young woman's health is substantially endangered or ruined so long as the state can legally enforce a delay in medically-necessary treatment.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 11:19 am
Deadkat can't help it. He supports anything that he thinks will piss off the left! It's his revenge for Clinton being elected President.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 01:49 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Stevepax wrote:
Mortkat wrote:

Mortkat doesn't care about protecting women's health. He's foaming at the mouth in hopes that the Supreme Court will approve a N.H. statute that fails to provide a medical emergency exception for pregnant teenagers in the throes of a medical crisis. He doesn't care that a young woman's health is substantially endangered or ruined so long as the state can legally enforce a delay in medically-necessary treatment.

Just for my info, but could you give me a reason that an abortion would have to be performed as a medical emergency that cannot wait for a parent's notification and approval? I mean, I understand that doctors must often perform medical services on minors without parental permission when such treatment is done in an emergency and parents are not handy to give consent. But I am unaware of any reason why an abortion needs to be done as an emergency procedure. And if there is one (certainly a possibility), then couldn't it be done under the same guidelines as any other emergency treatment right now and even if this law were passed?
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 02:36 pm
CoastalRat,

We just had one of these parental notification efforts try to go through on the special election. I, along with a good majority shot that sucker down, zip zip!!

I, in truth, don't have any objection to parental notification unless the pregnancy is caused by incest.

Now I don't know why everyone else that voted against it did so, but let me show you why you will never get an anti-abortion vote of any kind from me under any circumstance.

Mortkat wrote:
Why is abortion a political issue?

Why, because it stems from legislative actions and legislative actions, especially on such a critical issue, always involve politics.

It is clear that laws forbidding abortion were held by most states not too long ago. In fact, prior to 1973, not a single state had such unrestricted abortion such as abortion on demand.

The idea that there has been no movement on this issue is wrong. In fact, laws involving parental notification and partial birth abortion have been passed in many states.

We shall see whether Roe Vs. Wade will be revisited after Judge Alito is confirmed by the US Senate in January 2006 .

I think there is good reason to believe that Roe Vs.Wade will not be revoked but that it will be cut to pieces by state legislation which will, in effect, make abortions difficult to get.

This is the same thing the rightwingers are trying to do with most rights. Chip away at them until they are ineffective! The next test is if they can extend the Anti-Patriot Act. I understand even some Republicans are getting somewhat nervous about it.

Regardless however, I think Mortkat has hit the nail directly on the head. The rightwing is going to chip away at Roe vs. Wade until it exists only in name. I intend to vote against ANYTHING that even smacks of that effort. It makes no difference if I agree with the individual point (like parental consent) or not, you can count on an automatic NO vote from me!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:02 pm
While some would call that a bit silly to vote against something even if you agree with it simply because you fear a it will lead to further votes on something you support, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I appreciate your response but am still wishing to get a response (possibly from Debra_Law) to my original question. I don't think there is a response because I have never known any doctor to claim that an abortion is so much an emergency that parents cannot be properly notified to give consent. To me, this is simply a way of making sure that if someone, even a minor, wishes to have an abortion that she be allowed to do so without any outside influence (re: her parents). Yet for any other medical treatment, a minor needs parental consent prior to treatment unless it is an emergency. And if there is some emergency out there that would neccesitate an immediate abortion, then it is not neccessary to state that in any law requiring parental consent, is there?

Gosh, if my thinking is wrong here, please someone help me out.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:20 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
While some would call that a bit silly to vote against something even if you agree with it simply because you fear a it will lead to further votes on something you support, you gotta do what you gotta do.

I appreciate your response but am still wishing to get a response (possibly from Debra_Law) to my original question. I don't think there is a response because I have never known any doctor to claim that an abortion is so much an emergency that parents cannot be properly notified to give consent. To me, this is simply a way of making sure that if someone, even a minor, wishes to have an abortion that she be allowed to do so without any outside influence (re: her parents). Yet for any other medical treatment, a minor needs parental consent prior to treatment unless it is an emergency. And if there is some emergency out there that would neccesitate an immediate abortion, then it is not neccessary to state that in any law requiring parental consent, is there?

Gosh, if my thinking is wrong here, please someone help me out.

You see, this is the problem. In the same way that the rightwing is trying to erode the Roe vs. Wade decision by chipping away at it, the left finds other ways to keep it valid. The real fight isn't notification, the real fight is abortion itself. The right will do anything to get rid of it ... the left will do anything to make sure it stays intact.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:25 pm
CoastalRat wrote:
Debra_Law wrote:
Stevepax wrote:
Mortkat wrote:

Just for my info, but could you give me a reason that an abortion would have to be performed as a medical emergency that cannot wait for a parent's notification and approval? I mean, I understand that doctors must often perform medical services on minors without parental permission when such treatment is done in an emergency and parents are not handy to give consent. But I am unaware of any reason why an abortion needs to be done as an emergency procedure. And if there is one (certainly a possibility), then couldn't it be done under the same guidelines as any other emergency treatment right now and even if this law were passed?

The answers to your questions are found in the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal's decision currently under review by the Supreme Court:

http://www.ca1.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/getopn.pl?OPINION=04-1161.01A
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 03:28 pm
CoastalRat wrote:

make that "DON"T SUPPORT"

You misquoted me. I dont support the attack on abortion.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2005 04:31 pm
See also the respondent's Supreme Court brief:

Quote:

The Act provides no exception for medical emergencies in which delaying an abortion will cause serious medical damage short of imminent death.

The undisputed record in this case, however, establishes that some pregnant minors experience medical emergencies that will not cause imminent death but that nonetheless require immediate abortions to prevent severe and permanent harm to their health. Respondent Dr. Wayne Goldner -- a New Hampshire obstetrician and gynecologist -- submitted an uncontested declaration providing examples of such conditions. As set forth in his declaration, those emergency conditions include preeclampsia, which is "a form of pregnancy-induced hypertension"; chorioamnionitis, which is "a serious infection of the placental lining"; other pelvic infections; and heavy bleeding from the uterus. . . .

As Dr. Goldner further explained, in many such emergencies the "teen needs an immediate abortion to prevent serious harm to her health." Dr. Goldner's declaration provides a cataglogue of the serious medical harm that minors face if they do not receive the immediate medical attention that is clinically indicated, including permanent damage to major organ systems, particularly the liver and kidneys; fluid in the lungs; the spread of infection throughout the body; loss of vision; permanent loss of fertility; and chronic pain. In short, these pregnant teens face the "real risk of a lifetime of permanent, significant health problems" as a result of the delays inherent in complying with the Act.

http://www.abanet.org/publiced/preview/briefs/pdfs/05-06/04-1144_Resp.pdf
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 16 Dec, 2005 10:39 pm
Stevepax wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
Any idea how long the wait to adopt a child is Stevepax? Any concept of what families incapable of bearing children have to go through?

Any time you want to adopt achild, there are thousands of special needs kids just waiting for someone to step up ... RIGHT THIS SECOND! Not to mention the thousands worldwide that need parents RIGHT THIS SECOND. There's no need to create any more unwanted children.

You're right, there are thousands of "special needs" kids waiting for someone to adopt them.

And your point is?

It's (your point) difficult to fathom, but it seems that you are somehow suggesting that childless couples should adopt "special needs" kids rather than argue against abortion.

Now, we all now that "special needs" is a euphemism for "difficult," or "trouble."

This is not to say that these poor children don't need loving families, because surely they do and God bless those who find it in themselves to brave the problems associated with a "special needs" kids and adopt them, but is there any reason to implicitly sneer at couples who choose not to adopt "special needs" kids?

On the one hand we have individuals who have no problem with fertility (except that they are fertile) whom stevepax feels it is perfectly OK for them to end the lives of their "unwanted" children.

On the other , we have infertile couples who, unless they are quite rich and look to overseas opportunities, are never going to have but one adopted child, and who seem to be considered by stevepax as somehow shallow because they do not want to to take their first (and only) step into parenthood with a child that, tragically, comes equipped with a load of baggage.

Arguing that abortion somehow addresses the issue of unwanted children is amazingly facile.

Every healthy, white baby born in America is wanted, and if born to a reluctant mother, will be adopted in the blink of an eye.

The unwanted children are non-white, disabled or older than two years of age.

Since there are hundreds of thousands of such unwanted children, it would seem that abortion ain't doing the trick.

It would seem that you pro-abortion mavens (particularly those of you who predicate your position on the issue of "unwanted children") need to do a better job in making sure that the women who are likely to give birth to an "unwanted baby" make the choice for abortion.

The bottom line is that regardless of whether one is Pro-Life or Pro-Choice, an argument that the world needs abortion because it doesn't need any more "unwanted babies" is ludicrous.
0 Replies

Stevepax

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 01:03 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Stevepax wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

Any time you want to adopt a child, there are thousands of special needs kids just waiting for someone to step up ... RIGHT THIS SECOND! Not to mention the thousands worldwide that need parents RIGHT THIS SECOND. There's no need to create any more unwanted children.

You're right, there are thousands of "special needs" kids waiting for someone to adopt them.

And your point is?

My point is that if you want a child, there are plenty to adopt. That was easy!

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
It's (your point) difficult to fathom, but it seems that you are somehow suggesting that childless couples should adopt "special needs" kids rather than argue against abortion.

You are SO quick! That's exactly what I mean!

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Now, we all now that "special needs" is a euphemism for "difficult," or "trouble."

Not necessarily. It doesn't have to mean "difficult" or "trouble" at all. I think you are talking about children with personality problems. You can correct me if I am wrong. Special needs can mean anything from simple disabilities to very troubling issues. These children need parents worse than most!

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
This is not to say that these poor children don't need loving families, because surely they do and God bless those who find it in themselves to brave the problems associated with a "special needs" kids and adopt them, but is there any reason to implicitly sneer at couples who choose not to adopt "special needs" kids?

Sneering? Not really, but I will concede this. If a loving Christian couple who abhore abortion are serious about adopting, they should be loving and Christian enough to snap up one of those children that are already here who need parents the most! If they're not willing to do that, they aren't as Christian and loving as they like to act, and they shouldn't have a problem with abortion.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
On the one hand we have individuals who have no problem with fertility (except that they are fertile) whom stevepax feels it is perfectly OK for them to end the lives of their "unwanted" children.

Yep, you are 100% correct. I feel that the pregnant woman has the choice as to whether she carries to full term or not! It's her body, and her choice! Yep, gotta agree with that one all ther way!!

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
On the other , we have infertile couples who, unless they are quite rich and look to overseas opportunities, are never going to have but one adopted child, and who seem to be considered by stevepax as somehow shallow because they do not want to to take their first (and only) step into parenthood with a child that, tragically, comes equipped with a load of baggage.

It is not the pregnant womans fault that the couple is infertile. It is not the pregnant womans fault that they aren't rich. It is not the pregnant womans fault that they may only get one shot at parenthood. It is not Steves fault that these conditions exist. It is not his problem, and he has no business sticking his big nose in their business. It's not for him to decide someone elses fate, and he won't do it.

MOST IMPORTANTLY! It is not the pregnant womans duty to carry a child she does not want to carry, and deliver this child so that poor Joe and Mary lunchbucket can have a pearly white child. It isn't her duty, it isn't her job, and it isn't her problem!!

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Arguing that abortion somehow addresses the issue of unwanted children is amazingly facile.

I'm sorry Finn, but with respect to the woman that is pregnant with the unwanted child, it takes care of it quite well!!

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Every healthy, white baby born in America is wanted, and if born to a reluctant mother, will be adopted in the blink of an eye.

That's fine, if it is the choice of the woman with the unwanted child to carry it to full term and deliver it to Joe and Mary. However as pointed out before, she is in no way obligated to provide Joe and Mary with that perfect pearly white child.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:

And they need parents more than most. Joe and Mary should be happy to open that loving Christian home to one of these horribly unfortunate children.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Since there are hundreds of thousands of such unwanted children, it would seem that abortion ain't doing the trick.

It would seem that you pro-abortion mavens (particularly those of you who predicate your position on the issue of "unwanted children") need to do a better job in making sure that the women who are likely to give birth to an "unwanted baby" make the choice for abortion.

You are 100% correct, we should make certain that abortion is available to those who need it most! Matter of fact, we should make it a free service for them. Like I said, you are right on the button with this one!

The bottom line is that regardless of whether one is Pro-Life or Pro-Choice, an argument that the world needs abortion because it doesn't need any more "unwanted babies" is ludicrous.[/quote]

You just contradicted your statement in the previous paragraph! It is exactly what we need to do in conjunction with aggressive sex education and free methods of contraception available to anyone who wants it.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 03:25 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Stevepax wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

And your point is?

The bottom line is that regardless of whether one is Pro-Life or Pro-Choice, an argument that the world needs abortion because it doesn't need any more "unwanted babies" is ludicrous.

What is truly "ludicrous" is your unwanted vs. wanted babies argument.

Finn tells us that people (apparently, WHITE people) are against abortion in order to increase the pool of adoptable white babies and to hell with those non-white or disabled babies (especially if they're over the age of two). Nobody wants those babies. They aren't adorable. Those are the babies that should have been aborted. Although Roe v. Wade has done nothing to rid this country of the scourge of those damn unwanted problem babies, it has diminished the wanted supply of those desireable and adorable little white babies necessary to ease the pain for infertile white couples--so we have to get rid of Roe v. Wade.

Finn's anti-abortion cry: "Infertile white couples don't want non-white problem babies--no one wants those babies--infertile white couples want perfect little white babies--ban abortion to increase the supply of wanted white babies."

When are you going to make up banners and organize a rally to the capitol city to deliver your anti-abortion message to the whole country?
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 04:30 pm
But no one wishes to focus on the so called- "Right of Privacy" which is the monster which created all of this nonsense concerning abortion. Why not?

I am asking a legal expert, like Debra L A W, to explain the genesis of the right of privacy. I have read,( and perhaps Debra L A W can explain these readings) that Justice William O. Douglas( who, of course, became senile while on the Bench) wrote one of the most parodied phrases in Supreme Court History. He wrote, of course, that "specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights have PENUMBRAS, formed by EMANATIONS from those guarantees that help to give them life and substance".

Judge Hugo Black dissented from Douglas' invention. He complained about the way Douglas had turned constitutional law into semantics BY REPLACING THE LANGUAGE OF ACTUAL RIGHTS WITH THE PHRASE "right to privacy" AS THOUGH THERE IS SOME CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION OR PROVISIONS FORBIDDING A N Y L A W EVER TO BE PASSED WHICH MIGHT ABRIDGE THE "PRIVACY' OF INDIVIDUALS. There is not. There are guarantees in certain specific constitutional provisions which are designed in part to protect PRIVACY AT CERTAIN TIMES AND PLACES WITH RESPECT TO CERTAIN ACTIVITIES--but there is no provision or provisions forbidding any law ever to be passed which might abridge the privacy of individuals.

Judge Black added:

"I like my privacy as well as the next one, but I am nevertheless compelled to admit that the government has the right to invade it UNLESS PROHIBITED BY SOME SPECIFIC CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION"

That, despite the bloviations made by the man from Vancouver, is my understanding of the problem. Blotham would do well to turn his attention to his city, Vancouver, which, I understand, at present, is recruiting SS like guards to follow pederasts wherever they go in British Columbia. Is that a violation of privacy? Blotham may think so but I think Justice Black would demur.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:18 pm
Mortkat:

Your lack of understanding with respect to the right of privacy emanates from your lack of understanding of the Constitution as a whole.

When the people established and ordained the Constitution, their primary purpose was to secure the blessings of liberty for themselves and their posterity.

When the people established and ordained the Constitution, they established a government designed to SECURE liberty.

When the people established and ordained the Constitution, they established a separation of powers among three distinct branches of government and instituted checks and balances to SECURE liberty.

When the people established and ordained the Constitution, they retained ALL of their individual liberty interests; they surrendered nothing.

When the people established and ordained the Constitution, they DELEGATED limited and specific enumerated powers to government.

When the people established and ordained the Constitution, they did NOT delegate power to the government to tyrannize or oppress them; they did NOT delegate power to the government to deprive them of their retained liberty interests.

Again, the people established a government with limited and specific enumerated powers. It was NOT necessary for the people to specifically state that "Congress shall not deprive the people of their liberty interests," because the people NEVER delegated power to the government to deprive the people of their liberty interests in the first place.

One of the greatest liberty interests that individual can have is the right to privacy--the right to live one's life, to go about one's travels, and to go about one's personal business without government intrusion.

The people NEVER delegated specific, enumerated power to the government to deny or disparage their retained right to privacy.

As additional security for the blessing of liberty, the people demanded a bill of rights. The bill of rights does not confer or grant rights upon the people. Again, the people retained all their rights; they surrendered nothing when they established the government. The bill of rights was additional security for all the liberty the people retained--including the right to privacy--against government deprivations or denials.

The bill of rights includes the ninth amendment. It provides, the enumeration of some rights SHALL NOT be construed to deny or disparate other rights RETAINED by the people.

Accordingly, any notion that the people don't have any rights protected against governmental deprivations or denials unless those rights are specifically enumerated in the Constitution is wrong. The Constitution secures ALL LIBERTY, great and small, against arbitrary or oppressive government denials or deprivations.

Also, any notion that the government can do anything it wants to do "UNLESS PROHIBITED BY SOME SPECIFIC CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION" is also wrong. Inasmuch as the government was delegated specific and limited enumerated powers to secure the blessings of liberty--unless the Constitution specifically confers power upon the government to deny or deprive the people of their right to privacy, the government doesn't have that power.

Where in the Constitution do you find that the people delegated power to the government to deprive them of their right to privacy or to deprive women of the right to choose for themselves whether to bear and beget children???

If you truly understood the Constitution, you would understand that your hatefulness toward the people's retained rights and your willingness to allow the government to strip people of their retained rights is not only unwarranted, but spits on the Constitution itself which was established and ordained to SECURE liberty for all of us.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2005 05:39 pm
Debra L A W--As a professor of L A W, you get an F. Read or Re-read my post. No glittering generalities please-

Address the SPECIFIC STATEMENTS MADE BY DOUGLAS AND BLACK, or forget it.
0 Replies