Let's Get Rid of Roe

blatham

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:46 pm
fishin...after all these years, I just realized I have no idea in hell what your avatar is a picture of.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:47 pm
It's an ostensibly drunken kitty-cat with an empty beer bottle and a pack of smokes . . .
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 05:55 pm
Yup, as Set said, the lil puddy-tat had a hard night out on the town. Very Happy

(I'm not sure where the pic originated but in a larger version the labels on the beer bottles appear be written in some Eastern European language.)
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 07:48 pm
Thankyou, gentlemen. I see the truth of it now.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 12:46 am
blatham wrote:
Fedral wrote:
Quote:
Oh MY! It's TERRIBLE!
Citizens of a state working within the bounds of the state's framework of law to change the law to reflect the 'will of the people'.

..."to reflect the will of the people"?

Which people? How do you determine their 'will'? Are we free of all concern that activists of any sort or motivated by any ideology might move to alter or create laws which are not actually held by a majority?

Then you still have the dilemma of whether or not the majority's will ought to trump all else, including the Constitution.

But the question I'm looking at here is who actually wishes Roe to fall?

I wish Roe to fall.

Which people? The people. Expressed as locally as possible.

How do we determine their will? We invite them to vote.

The Majority's will should not trump the Constitution.

This is not a legitimate question as respects the issue of Roe v Wade.

The legitimate question is whether or not their is any grounds to assert that the Constitution protects the right of a woman to have an abortion.

Even the most ardent Pro-Choicers will not suggest that the Constitution directly addresses the issue of abortion.

How then do Pro-Choice proponents make an argument that the right to kill a fetus is protected under the Constitution?

Why it's the Right to Privacy!

Now, if it weren't hard enough to demonstrate a cogent link between privacy and abortion, to go the next step, you have to find privacy protected by the Constitution.

No matter where you fall on the issue, only the rabid and/or intellectually dishonest among us will suggest that a right to abortion is a Constitutional slam dunk.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 05:56 am
Quote:
What Abortion Debate?
Why there is no honesty about Roe.
By Michael Kinsley
Posted Friday, Nov. 18, 2005, at 6:09 AM ET

In a 1986 case called Bowers v. Hardwick, the Supreme Court ruled that state laws against homosexual sodomy do not violate the U.S. Constitution. In a 2003 case called Lawrence v. Texas, the court ruled that on second thought, anti-gay-sodomy laws do violate the Constitution. Liberal politicians cheered this rare and unexpected admission of error by the court. They did not express any alarm about the danger of overturning precedents. Plessy v. Ferguson, upholding racial segregation, was a major precedent when the court overturned it and ended formal racial segregation with Brown v. Board of Education in 1954. Liberals did not complain.

These days, the vital importance of respecting past Supreme Court rulings is an urgent talking point for Democratic operatives, liberal talk-show hosts, and senators feeling their way toward a reason to oppose Supreme Court nominee Samuel Alito. Olympia Snowe, a Republican liberal from Maine, said Wednesday that Alito's respect for precedents will be "the major question" in her decision whether to support him.

The major question for Snowe and other liberal senators actually is not respect for judicial precedents. The major question is abortion. They want to know whether Alito would vote to overturn Roe. But by the absurd unwritten rules of these increasingly stylized episodes, they are not allowed to ask him and he is not allowed to answer. So the nominee does a fan dance, tantalizing the audience by revealing little bits of his thinking but denying us a complete view. And senators pretend, maybe even to themselves, that they really care about precedents and privacy in the abstract.

The artifice can get quite elaborate. Sen. Arlen Specter, chairman of the Judiciary Committee, makes a half-serious distinction among precedents, super-precedents, and super-duper precedents. Others emphasize that social policies can start with a Supreme Court ruling and develop into deeply rooted national values. That happened with Roe and abortion, they would say, while the opposite happened with Bowers and laws against homosexuality. Of course if a policy has really become a deeply rooted national value, then the once-controversial Supreme Court ruling is superfluous, because democracy will protect such a value. The fear that motivates Roe panic is that the rights at stake are not deeply rooted. Or not deeply rooted enough.

While Roe defenders play this double game, ostensible Roe opponents, especially those in the White House, may be playing a triple game. Their public position is A) Roe is a terrible decision, responsible for a vast slaughter of innocents; B) legal abortion is deeply immoral; C) we ignore all this in choosing Supreme Court justices, and you (Roe defenders) should, too. It doesn't make sense, and it's not believable. The natural assumption is that Bush is trying to con abortion-rights supporters. Only an idiot would squander the opportunity to rid the nation of Roe because of some fatuous nonsense about picking judges without finding out the one thing you most urgently want to know.

Link

Abortion is the most important issue in American politics. It shouldn't be. Others have as big an impact on the lives of individuals and a far bigger cumulative effect on society. No other nation obsesses about abortion the way we do. But many Americans believe that legalized abortion is government-sanctioned murder or something close to it. And many others (including me) believe that forcing a woman to go through an unwanted pregnancy and childbirth is the most extreme unjustified government intrusion on personal freedom short of sanctioning murder. For many in these groups, abortion is almost by definition an issue that overwhelms all others, or comes close, when they are deciding how (and whether) to vote. It is also, on both sides, a reliable issue for opening wallets.

Yet there is no abortion debate. Or at least the debate is unconnected to the reasons people on both sides feel so strongly about it. What passes for an abortion debate is a jewel of the political hack's art: a big issue that is exploited without being discussed. In the Virginia governor's race this year, both candidates said they were personally morally opposed to abortion, and both accused the other candidate of falsely accusing him of intending to act on this moral belief, which both of them denied. And both of them, in this last particular, were probably telling the truth.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:45 am
Salon wrote:
But do the sentiments of one antiabortion activist say anything about the position of state officials? Apparently so: Mississippi actually sells license plates that say "Choose Life" on them, with all proceeds going to Crisis Pregnancy Centers. What can women get at these centers, 2,000 of which exist nationwide? Free pregnancy tests, confidential counseling, free ultrasounds so the women can see their unborn children, and free baby clothes. What can't they get? Free birth control or birth control counseling, information on where to get an abortion, or free prenatal care.

Why the alarmist title "Last Abortion Clinic" title and then the comparison to 2000 (presumably Pro-life) Crisis Pregnancy Centers? What about the 850 Planned Parenthood clinics in the nation?

Can someone show me how a few legal restrictions (virtually all which restrict the patient, not the clinic) somehow prevent anyone from establishing and running additional clinics in MS? Or could this simply be the law of "supply and demand"? Or perhaps it's an indicator that the pro-life lobby is more willing to put their money where their mouth is, hence more pro-life crisis-pregnancy centers vice pro-abortion? Or does this simply reflect the aversion that many doctors have against performing the procedure?

As I see it, the only restriction Mississipi imposes that could conceivably impact a private center from providing abortions is the 16-week gestation limit. This probably has more of an impact on the woman who's delayed making a decision, then on the center's viability, so I still don't understand why there is only one abortion-providing center in MS, unless its one of the reasons I've listed above.

And for any of those three reasons, it's clearly a very viable option for the pro-abortion forces to fix the situation, rather than simply bemoan the lack of centers in the state.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 11:53 am
twin_peaks_nikki wrote:
Of course the right has been using Roe as a wedge issue for over twenty years. But I don't think it is right to ask women to carry the political football of giving up rights in order to egt them back.

Of course, the left hasn't been using their position as a champion for Roe to add money to their coffers. Rolling Eyes

Blathem's article above puts it very well...
Quote:
For many in these groups, abortion is almost by definition an issue that overwhelms all others, or comes close, when they are deciding how (and whether) to vote. It is also, on both sides, a reliable issue for opening wallets.

Abortion is an issue that will never go away...Roe may disappear (I'm one who would cheer this) but I'm afraid the battle will continue as long as women get pregnant.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 12:11 pm
Roe vs. Wade, as Judge Roberts has declared, and as I am sure Judge Alito will concur, is a case that must be viewed by responsble jurists as "Stare Decisis". The two judges above will adhere to precedent, and will not seek to overturn Roe vs. Wade which, if one studies the background, was reached using the flimsiest of legal reasoning.

Rather, Roe Vs. Wade will be picked to pieces by what I am sure will be a relentless campaign to limit abortion--e.g. restrictions against partial birth abortion, upholding of parental notification laws.

But, despite the fact that Roe Vs. Wade will not be overturned, legal scholars were generally astounded when they read the decision.

Roe vs. Wade is primarily based on Justice William O. Douglas's astounding mental gyrations which led the one of the most parodied phrases in Supreme Court History. Douglas wrote that "specific guarantees in the Bill of Rights have penumbras, formed by emanations from those guarantees that help give them life and substance"

Penumbras???? Emanations????
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:22 pm
Abolish abortion and birth control. Outlaw premarital sex. Outlaw single parenthood. Outlaw divorces. Outlaw public assistance and make every person work for a living or starve to death. Make every violation of the law a felony and impose the death penalty. Maybe then the moral majority will be satisfied.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:28 pm
I think not, Debra. I suspect the nature of the beast would then turn it upon itself seeking out whatever evil it keeps projecting wherever it casts its eye.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 06:41 pm
So true, Blatham. It was impetuous of me to ever think that perhaps "they" could be satisfied. They will forever be hacking up their hair balls.
0 Replies

Mortkat

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 07:46 pm
"penumbras"?? "emenations"??
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:09 pm
Debra_Law wrote:
Abolish abortion and birth control. Outlaw premarital sex. Outlaw single parenthood. Outlaw divorces. Outlaw public assistance and make every person work for a living or starve to death. Make every violation of the law a felony and impose the death penalty. Maybe then the moral majority will be satisfied.

This is why it is so hard to have a reasonable discussion with the fanatical left.

If you say you want to talk about welfare reform, they yell to everyone that you want to let the poor starve and put children out on the streets.

If you try to discuss tax reform, they claw their faces and wail that you want to rob all the poor's money to pay for tax breaks for billionaires.

If you try to have a reasonable talk about national security, they scream from the mountaintops that you are trying to send every minority, foreigner and liberal to the gas chambers.

Just once, I would like you folks to try and meet our discussion halfway.

Liberals... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:31 pm
Since when does stating the obvious make someone a member of the "fanatical left?"
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 11:32 pm
You have gas chambers? Shocked
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
goodfielder wrote:
You have gas chambers? Shocked

Yes. Only fanatics would deny the accuracy of this "half-way" claim.
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:39 am
Yeah, why can't those foaming-at-the-mouth lunatics have a reasonable conversation with us.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 10:45 am
Debra and blatham

Who do you consider to make up the "moral majority?"
0 Replies

twinpeaksnikki2

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 11:07 am
Debra_Law wrote:

Require any man who contributes to an unwanted pregancy to undergo a vasectomy. After three, chemical castration.
0 Replies